Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2148 [9]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [5]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [3]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Re: a and b are positive integers such that they do not have any common pr [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
We want the remainder when c is divided by the LCM of a and b. But if a and b share no prime divisors, the LCM of a and b is just equal to ab (though that doesn't turn out to be important here - the answer would still be B even if that were not true, since the LCM of a and b is a factor of ab anyway).

I'm not sure what the "that of" part of Statement 1 even means, but if I assume they're saying that c and ab have the same number of divisors, then Statement 1 is useless. Lots of numbers have the same number of divisors, and you can't from that fact conclude anything about remainders when you divide one of those numbers by the other. Maybe c = ab, and the remainder is zero, or maybe c and ab are different, and the remainder is nonzero.

Statement 2 tells us c is divisible by 4ab, so c must be divisible by ab, so Statement 2 is sufficient; the remainder is zero.

Hi Ian

Thanks a lot for the explanation. Just wanted to clarify something, how do we conclude that if c is divisible by 4ab then it HAS to be divisible by ab. Could it not be the case that c is divisible by the 4a or 4b?

Say if a=3 and b=5, if c =16 then it is divisible by 4ab but not ab? Would appreciate your help in this.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Re: a and b are positive integers such that they do not have any common pr [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
aliakberza wrote:
Thanks a lot for the explanation. Just wanted to clarify something, how do we conclude that if c is divisible by 4ab then it HAS to be divisible by ab. Could it not be the case that c is divisible by the 4a or 4b?

Say if a=3 and b=5, if c =16 then it is divisible by 4ab but not ab? Would appreciate your help in this.

If a number is divisible by d, say, then the number will also always be divisible by every factor of d. So, for example, if a number is divisible by 12, it must also be divisible by 6, 4, 3 and 2. You can see why by factoring - if a number is divisible by 12, then it equals 12q, where q is a whole number. But then it also equals 6(2q), so it's a multiple of 6 too, for example, and it also equals 4(3q), so it's a multiple of 4, and so on.

So if a number is divisible by 4ab, it is divisible by every divisor of 4ab, so it's divisible by ab, and by 4, and by 4a, and by 2b, and by several other things.

Notice in your example, where a = 3 and b = 5, then ab = 15, and 4ab = 60. That number is not divisible by 16, since 60/16 is not an integer -- it does share some divisors with 16, so you can cancel that fraction down a bit, to 15/4, but you don't get an integer when you're finished canceling.

Got it. Thanks so much for taking the time. Appreciate it!

I am in Toronto too Btw :cool:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
What if C is 4, then c will not divide ab...right?
a =3, b =5, c=4, then 4ab is divisible by c but ab is not divisible by c.

Please let me know where I am wrong in this.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
@
aniketnsit90 wrote:
What if C is 4, then c will not divide ab...right?
a =3, b =5, c=4, then 4ab is divisible by c but ab is not divisible by c.

Please let me know where I am wrong in this.

I think you've reversed the meaning of Statement 2: it says that c is divisible by 4ab, not that 4ab is divisible by c.

You are correct that if a question asked "Is ab divisible by c", then a Statement reading "4ab is divisible by c" would not be sufficient, and your numerical example would prove that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Yeah I got it. I had reversed the meaning and that's why I got it wrong.
Thank you so much for your quick reply.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts