Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619172 [9]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
Re: A certain clothing manufacturer makes only two types of men's blazer: [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:

Tough and Tricky questions: Word Problems.

A certain clothing manufacturer makes only two types of men's blazer: cashmere and mohair. Each cashmere blazer requires 4 hours of cutting and 6 hours of sewing. Each mohair blazer requires 4 hours of cutting and 2 hours of sewing. The profit on each cashmere blazer is $40 and the profit on each mohair blazer is $35. How many of each type of blazer should the manufacturer produce each week in order to maximize its potential weekly profit on blazers?

(1) The company can afford a maximum of 200 hours of cutting per week and 200 hours of sewing per week.
(2) The wholesale price of cashmere cloth is twice that of mohair cloth.

Kudos for a correct solution.

Dear Moderator ,
Please provide OA and OE .
I also chose A .
The time for each Blazer is limited by its slowest process.
So for Cashmere , 6 hours of sewing will decide how many of these can be made.
For Mohair 4 hours of cutting will decide how many of these can be made.
So in 200 hours of cutting and sewing , max 33 cashmere or 50 Mohair can be made.
Cashmere profit = 33*40=1320 , Mohair profit = 50*35=1750 , hence it is more profitable to make Mohair Blazers.
( However I am not sure if both the blazers can be combined for even greater profit )

Statement B- since we are already given the profit , we do not need the purchase price .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Re: A certain clothing manufacturer makes only two types of men's blazer: [#permalink]
Dear IanStewart,

How do we possibly know that producing 25 cashmere and mohair blazers each yields the maximum profits?

Do we have to do trail and error by gradually decreasing/increasing the number of cashmere blazers and see the corresponding number of mohair blazers, then sum up together?

Is there any other time-efficient approach?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
A certain clothing manufacturer makes only two types of men's blazer: [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Dear IanStewart,

How do we possibly know that producing 25 cashmere and mohair blazers each yields the maximum profits?

Do we have to do trail and error by gradually decreasing/increasing the number of cashmere blazers and see the corresponding number of mohair blazers, then sum up together?

Is there any other time-efficient approach?

The whole question doesn't make logical sense. In general, it makes no sense to ask a maximization problem as a DS question, because the answer to the question changes depending on what restrictions you have. Here, reading only the stem, it's possible there is a limit on the number of cutting hours we have, or on sewing hours, or possibly also on total hours of work, or on capital the person can invest in raw materials, or on the total amount of raw materials available, among other things. Each new restriction you add potentially changes the answer to a maximization problem, so there's no way to know what kind of information is sufficient. If Statement 1 is the only restriction, it is sufficient. If there could be other restrictions, the answer is E. There's no way to know, which is why you'll never see a question like this on the GMAT.

There isn't really any reason to learn how to solve a problem like this (using Statement 1). It's a kind of linear optimization problem that you learn how to solve in an MBA, but never need to solve on the GMAT. The numbers here are simple enough that you could work out the answer though - if you make 50 mohair blazers, you have 100 sewing hours 'left over' (you only use 100 of the 200 available). So we should use those hours to make the more profitable cashmere blazers, and since we need 4 extra sewing hours per cashmere blazer, we can make 25 of those instead of 25 mohair ones without exceeding either 200 hour limit.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
A certain clothing manufacturer makes only two types of men's blazer: [#permalink]
Cashmere: 10(4+6) hours gives profit 40$ = each hour profit= 4$
Mohair: 6 (4+2) hours gives profit 35$ = each hour profit: ~6$

A: 200 hours of cutting and 200 hours of sewing

Point1: Cutting and sewing can not be done separately
Point2: Sewing is determining factor; cutting time is same in both
If I want to maximize profit, I should spend maximum hours on sewing of Mohair?

Option1: Let me spend all hours on Mohair:
200 hours/4= 50 cutting and need 100 hours on sewing .
100 hours left wasted.
Profit earned: 50*6=~300$

Option2: Let me use maximum sewing time
Use cashmere : cutting 50
And sewing: 50*6= 300 hours.( extras)
Maximum usage: 200 hours of sewing: 200/6= I can only finish 33 cashmere suits
So profit in 200 hours: 33*6= 200$ only

Option1 and option2: gives me 100 extra hours in cashmere and 100 less hours in Mohair
Idea: let me balance 50%-50% to make it 200 hours usage of sewing time

In this case:
Option3:
25 cashmere+ 25 mohair
Total profit: 25*4+25*6= 100+ 150= 250$

So clearly , our winner is Option 1
Hence sufficient

B. The wholesale price of cashmere cloth is twice that of mohair cloth.
Irrelevant information as profit is already mentioned in the question.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92933 posts