GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Aug 2018, 00:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A college admissions committee will grant a certain number

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
A college admissions committee will grant a certain number  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2010, 13:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (00:55) correct 43% (01:16) wrong based on 845 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A college admissions committee will grant a certain number of $10,000 scholarships, $5,000 scholarships, and $1,000 scholarships. If no student can receive more than one scholarship, how many different ways can the committee dole out the scholarships among the pool of 10 applicants?

(1) In total, six scholarships will be granted.

(2) An equal number of scholarships will be granted at each scholarship level.

MY QUESTION IS:

IS IT NOT POSSIBLE TO FIND THE ANSWER WITHOUT EVEN TAKING ANY STATEMENT INTO CONSIDERATION..??
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: College Adminssion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2010, 02:27
A college admissions committee will grant a certain number of $10,000 scholarships, $5,000 scholarships, and $1,000 scholarships. If no student can receive more than one scholarship, how many different ways can the committee dole out the scholarships among the pool of 10 applicants?

x= number of 10,000 scholarships
y= number of 5,000 scholarships
z= number of 1,000 scholarships
n= total number of scholarships granted = x+y+z = number of students who will receive scholarship (as no student can receive more than one scholarship)

# different ways the committee can dole out the scholarships among the pool of 10 applicants is \(C^n_{10}*\frac{(x+y+z)!}{x!y!z!}=C^n_{10}*\frac{n!}{x!y!z!}\).

\(C^n_{10}\) - choosing \(n\) students who will be granted the scholarship;
\(\frac{n!}{x!y!z!}\) - # of ways we can distribute \(x\), \(y\) and \(z\) scholarships among \(n\) students.

So we need to know the values of \(n\), \(x\), \(y\) and \(z\) to answer the question.

(1) \(n=6\). Don't know \(x\), \(y\) and \(z\). Not sufficient.

(2) \(x=y=z\). Don't have the exact values of \(x\), \(y\) and \(z\) . Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) \(n=6\) and \(x=y=z\). As \(n=6=x+y+z\) --> \(x=y=z=2\) --> # of ways \(C^n_{10}*\frac{n!}{x!y!z!}=C^6_{10}*\frac{6!}{2!2!2!}\). Sufficient.

And again:
\(C^6_{10}\) - choosing \(6\) students who will be granted the scholarship;
\(\frac{6!}{2!2!2!}\) - distributing \(xxyyzz\) (two of each) among 6 students, which is the # of permuatrions of 6 letters \(xxyyzz\).

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2010, 18:26
This question is confusingly worded. I suspect your source is not an official GMAT exam. However, I will make an attempt.

T= number of 10,000 scholarships
F= number of 5,000 scholarships
O= number of 1,000 scholarships

The question stem tells us there will be three types of scholarships awarded to 10 students; however, we don't know how many of each type of scholarship will be awarded, nor do we know how many students will get scholarships. However we know that between 3 and 10 scholarships will be awarded.

S1. We know six scholarships will be awarded, so T+F+O = 6. However it could be many different combinations:
4T+1F+1O = 6 and the combinations would be 10C4*6C1*5C1
3T+2F+1O = 6 and the combinations would be 10C3*7C2*5C1
Insuff

S2. Now we know that we have either 1T+1F+1O, or 2T+2F+2O, or 3T+3F+3O, but we don't know which.
Insuff

Together:
It must be 2T+2F+2O
So the combinations are 10C2*8C2*6C2
Answer C

If this post was helpful, please give Kudos.

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2010, 04:38
Bunuel wrote:
n= total number of scholarships granted = x+y+z = number of students who will receive scholarship (as no student can receive more than one scholarship)

# different ways the committee can dole out the scholarships among the pool of 10 applicants is \(C^n_{10}*\frac{(x+y+z)!}{x!y!z!}=C^n_{10}*\frac{n!}{x!y!z!}\).

\(\frac{n!}{x!y!z!}\) - # of ways we can distribute \(x\), \(y\) and \(z\) scholarships among \(n\) students.

So we need to know the values of \(n\), \(x\), \(y\) and \(z\) to answer the question.

(2) \(x=y=z\). Don't have the exact values of \(x\), \(y\) and \(z\) . Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) \(n=6\) and \(x=y=z\). As \(n=6=x+y+z\) --> \(x=y=z=2\) --> # of ways \(C^n_{10}*\frac{n!}{x!y!z!}=C^6_{10}*\frac{6!}{2!2!2!}\). Sufficient.

And again:
\(\frac{6!}{2!2!2!}\) - distributing \(xxyyzz\) (two of each) among 6 students, which is the # of permuatrions of 6 letters \(xxyyzz\).

Hope it's clear.

Hello Brunel

If we just look at the given statement and let us say its a problem Solving (PS) question..!!!
Do we really need extra information to crack this question..

"A college admissions committee will grant a certain number of $10,000 scholarships, $5,000 scholarships, and $1,000 scholarships. If no student can receive more than one scholarship, how many different ways can the committee dole out the scholarships among the pool of 10 applicants"
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2010, 05:54
nverma wrote:
Hello Brunel

If we just look at the given statement and let us say its a problem Solving (PS) question..!!!

"A college admissions committee will grant a certain number of $10,000 scholarships, $5,000 scholarships, and $1,000 scholarships. If no student can receive more than one scholarship, how many different ways can the committee dole out the scholarships among the pool of 10 applicants"

OK, I see. "A certain number of $10,000, $5,000, and $1,000 scholarships" means that the numbers of each type of scholarship are FIXED. We just don't know this numbers.

If we were asked to calculate # of ways to distribute all possible numbers of scholarships (<=10), with all possible breakdowns among them (10-$10,000, 0-$5,000, 0-$1,000; 9-$10,000, 1-$5,000, 0-$1,000; ... 3-$10,000, 1-$5,000, 5-$1,000 ... huge # of combinations), then we could calculate it. But this is not what the question is asking.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2010, 16:11
Bunuel wrote:
nverma wrote:
Hello Brunel

OK, I see. "A certain number of $10,000, $5,000, and $1,000 scholarships" means that the numbers of each type of scholarship are FIXED. We just don't know this numbers.

If we were asked to calculate # of ways to distribute all possible numbers of scholarships (<=10), with all possible breakdowns among them (10-$10,000, 0-$5,000, 0-$1,000; 9-$10,000, 1-$5,000, 0-$1,000; ... 3-$10,000, 1-$5,000, 5-$1,000 ... huge # of combinations), then we could calculate it. But this is not what the question is asking.

Thanks Brunel..

I feel if the Question given is DS.. we are supposed to use the options..!! :) :)
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2010, 09:45
nverma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
nverma wrote:
Hello Brunel

Thanks Brunel..
I feel if the Question given is DS.. we are supposed to use the options..!! :) :)

I too was confused with this question. Initially I thought there are 10 students and three kinds of scholarships. So for each student there are 4 options - no scholarship or one of the three scholarship. This was giving me
4^10 possibiliites.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2010, 15:49
I'm still confused by this problem (1 out of 2 I got wrong on MGMAT CAT #6). I picked A, but I was going back and forth between A and C.

For A, let's say we have 6 scholarships, w/ 3 types. Couldn't we branch off the possibilities as:
1 $10k, 4 $5k, and 1 $1k.
2 $10k, 3 $5k, and 1 $1k.
etc.

Calculate all those possibilities, add them up, and we have an answer. There'll be a very large number of possibilities to hand out 6 scholarships of varying types, but in my mind, that figure DOES answer the question.

Why am I incorrect in assuming this?

Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46)

Retired Moderator
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2010, 16:11
NewSc2 wrote:
I'm still confused by this problem (1 out of 2 I got wrong on MGMAT CAT #6). I picked A, but I was going back and forth between A and C.

For A, let's say we have 6 scholarships, w/ 3 types. Couldn't we branch off the possibilities as:
etc.

Calculate all those possibilities, add them up, and we have an answer. There'll be a very large number of possibilities to hand out 6 scholarships of varying types, but in my mind, that figure DOES answer the question.

It is a poorly worded question, what you are saying is not incorrect. But what the question means to get at is that the number of ways is governed by how many types of each scholarship there are.

Going by the same logic as yours, we don't even need statement A. We can just enumerate all the ways to give 0,1,2,3,4,... scholarships

All in all I think it is the question which is ambiguous.

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2010, 16:12
NewSc2 wrote:

etc.

Question is about distributing the scholarships among 10 students.

Now, suppose there are 3 - 10K scholarships (A), 2 - 5K scholarships (B), and 1 - 1K scholarships (C), total of 6 scholarships. Then:

Students:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
A-A-A-B-B-C-N-N-N-N
N-A-A-B-B-C-A-N-N-N
N-N-A-B-B-C-A-A-N-N
# of ways to distribute 6 scholarships with this particular breakdown among them (3-2-1) would be \(\frac{10!}{3!2!4!}\) (N - no scholarship);

But if: there are 1 - 10K scholarships (A), 1 - 5K scholarships (B), and 4 - 1K scholarships (C), again total of 6 scholarships. Then:

Students:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
A-B-C-C-C-C-N-N-N-N
N-A-B-C-C-C-C-N-N-N
N-N-A-B-C-C-C-C-N-N
# of ways to distribute 6 scholarships with this particular breakdown among them (1-1-4) would be \(\frac{10!}{4!4!}\);

So for different breakdown of 6 scholarships (3-2-1 and 1-1-4) we've got different # of distributions (also different pattern), so knowing # of scholarships is not sufficient to answer the question, we should also know the breakdown among them.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2011, 17:24
Bunuel wrote:

And again:

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel -

The equation that I came up with using the information from Statements 1 and 2 is \(\frac{10!}{2!2!2!4!}\) which is different from what you have \(\frac{6!}{2!2!2!}\). Can you explain please? Thank you so much in advance!
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2011, 00:39
MarianneG wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

And again:

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel -

The equation that I came up with using the information from Statements 1 and 2 is \(\frac{10!}{2!2!2!4!}\) which is different from what you have \(\frac{6!}{2!2!2!}\). Can you explain please? Thank you so much in advance!

MarianneG wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

And again:

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel -

Actually, your answer matches with Bunuel's. You perhaps overlooked the multiplication with the given combination.

Bunuel's answer is: \(C^{10}_{6}*\frac{6!}{2!2!2!}=\frac{10!}{6!4!}*\frac{6!}{2!2!2!}=\frac{10!}{2!2!2!4!}\)

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Each year, a college admissions committee grants a certain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2011, 00:46
Each year, a college admissions committee grants a certain number of $10,000 scholarships, $5,000 scholarships, and $1,000 scholarships. The number of scholarships granted at each level does not vary from year to year, and no student can receive more than one scholarship. This year, how many different ways can the committee distribute the scholarships among the pool of 10 applicants?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Current Student
Re: ps combinatorials  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2011, 03:22
mojorising800 wrote:
Each year, a college admissions committee grants a certain number of $10,000 scholarships, $5,000 scholarships, and $1,000 scholarships. The number of scholarships granted at each level does not vary from year to year, and no student can receive more than one scholarship. This year, how many different ways can the committee distribute the scholarships among the pool of 10 applicants?

st1: this can 10C4*6C1*5C1 or 10C2*8C2*6C2.......... insufficient

st2: this can be 10C2*8C2*6C2 or 10C3*7C3*4C3.........insufficient

1&2 : its 10C2*8C2*6C2.
Intern
Intern
Re: A college admissions committee will grant a certain number  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 04:03
Bunuel wrote:

And again:

Hope it's clear.

I am getting confused with the \(C^6_{10}\). Shouldn`t the 10 be on the top and 6 on the bottom?
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 04:12
chingunee wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

And again:

Hope it's clear.

I am getting confused with the \(C^6_{10}\). Shouldn`t the 10 be on the top and 6 on the bottom?

it is already defined at the top that \(C^n_{10}\) = choosing n students out of 10.

Also as you can not have negative factorials, there is only 1 interpretation for \(C^6_{10}\) =\(\frac{10!}{4!*6!}\)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2016, 05:54
Please let me know where I am going wrong.

1. I selected 6 students by 10C6 and then all these students can be given 3 types of scholarships.
So answer comes out to be 10C6*3^6.

2.FOR STATEMENT 2,
as equal number of scholarship will be granted at each level,
It can either be 3,3,3 or 2,2,2 or 1,1,1.
So answer comes out to be:
10c3*7c3*4c3 + 10c2*8c2*6c2 + 10c1*8c1*6c1.

Please help..!!!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2016, 04:36
why A is wrong here?

Even if we do not know the break up of each scholarship ,total number os scholarships should give us a definite answer on number of ways 6 scholarships can be given ?
# ways = 10 * 9 * 8 *7 &6 * 5 * 4

where am i going here ? please explain.

Thanks for your help
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 07:58
I agree that the answer is C. However, i dont arrive to the same answer as Bunnuel´s.

Ans: (10C8x8C6x6C4)/3!

The only difference with Bunnuel´s answer is that he did not divide the whole equation by 3!. However, i believe this is necessary because we are making 3 groups of 2, and it is the same to have peter and john with the scholarship of 10.000 and to have John and Peter with that scholarship

Thanks in advance to whoever helps me with this doubt!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 10:24
nverma wrote:

Statement 1: Total 6 scholarships granted, hence we need 6 students to receive these scholarships.

6 students can be chosen out of 10 students in 10C6 ways.

However we do not know which & how many of each scholarships are granted.

Statement 1 is Not Sufficient.

Statement 2: Equal number of scholarships from each level are granted.

We do not know the exact number of each scholarship from each level.

Statement 2 is Not Sufficient.

Combining we get, 6 scholarships given out & equal # of each of the 3 levels. Hence 2 scholarships from each level.

Now 6 students are selected out of 10 in 10C6 ways.

We can select 2 students out of the 6, to receive 2 scholarships in 6C2

Similarly 2 from remaining 4 students in 4C2 ways

& lastly we give out the final 2 scholarships to the 2 remaining students in 2C2 ways.

Total # of ways to give out the scholarships = 10C6 * 6C2 * 4C2 * 2C2

Combining is Sufficient.

Answer C.

Thanks,
GyM
Re: A college admissions committee will grant a certain number &nbs [#permalink] 11 Jul 2018, 10:24

A college admissions committee will grant a certain number

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap