GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Jun 2018, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1263
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Oct 2017, 21:45
1
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (02:01) correct 57% (01:41) wrong based on 200 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal population in the North Sea to die since May 1988. The explanation for the deaths cannot rest here, however. There must be a reason the normally latent virus could prevail so suddenly: clearly the severe pollution of the North Sea waters must have weakened the immune system of the seals so that they could no longer withstand the virus.

Which one of the following, if true, most strongly supports the explanation given in the argument?

(A) At various times during the last ten years, several species of shellfish and seabirds in the North Sea have experienced unprecedented steep drops in population.

(B) By reducing pollution at its source, Northern Europe and Scandinavia have been taking the lead in preventing pollution from reaching the waters of the North Sea.

(C) For many years, fish for human consumption have been taken from the waters of the North Sea.

(D) There are two species of seal found throughout the North Sea area, the common seal and the gray seal.

(E) The distemper caused by the virus was a disease that was new to the population of North Sea seals in May 1988, and so the seals’ immune systems were unprepared to counter it.

Source: LSAT

Same passage with different stem question: LINK

_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings


Originally posted by noboru on 29 May 2010, 09:42.
Last edited by broall on 02 Oct 2017, 21:45, edited 2 times in total.
Reformatted question, OA added
Current Student
avatar
Affiliations: ?
Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Posts: 186
Location: Africa/Europe
Schools: Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2010, 11:08
:( No clue for this one. each of the answer choice either weaken the explanation or is irrelevant...

Waiting for the official explanation. :arrow:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 119
Location: London
Schools: Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
WE 1: 3 years hotel industry sales and marketing France
WE 2: 3 years financial industry marketing UK
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2010, 13:22
I pick E

Argument 1: a virus killed 2/3 of seals
Argument 2: the virus was normally latent
Explanation: seals had a weak immune system and could not withstand the virus

The right answer will make a link between virus and immune system. Only E does this, all other choices are irrelevant.

What is OA?
_________________

Yes I can!

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1263
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2010, 13:32
nifoui wrote:
I pick E

Argument 1: a virus killed 2/3 of seals
Argument 2: the virus was normally latent
Explanation: seals had a weak immune system and could not withstand the virus

The right answer will make a link between virus and immune system. Only E does this, all other choices are irrelevant.

What is OA?


E actually weaks the conclusion.

The argument states that was the pollution the reason that weakened the immune system, and therefore the seals could no longer withstand the virus.
As per E it was the virus itself what weakened the immune system.

The OA must support that was the pollution and no other thing the responsible of the immune system weakness.

Hope that helps.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 119
Location: London
Schools: Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
WE 1: 3 years hotel industry sales and marketing France
WE 2: 3 years financial industry marketing UK
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2010, 13:54
You're right Noboru... but that's a tough one!

A: out of scope, talks about shellfish and seabirds and does not support the argument
B: this is the only valid choice left, it does talk about pollution but I do not understand how it supports the argument...
C: out of scope
D: out of scope
E: as you said, weakens

Looking fwd to the OA :)
_________________

Yes I can!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2010
Posts: 113
Location: Halifax, Canada
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2010, 14:11
nifoui wrote:
You're right Noboru... but that's a tough one!

Yeah, it's weird.

A) Seems to imply that the North Sea is a sketchy place for things to live, not for just the seals
B) Implies that yes, there is pollution kicking around in the North Sea
C) Is completely irrelevant
D) Same with this one, we don't care
E) This is probably what I would have chosen too, simply because it seems the most related. It points out that back in the day, the virus' disease was a toughie for the seals' immune systems... but that's kind of par for the course for most new diseases in any animal population.

After some thought, I'll have to go with A. None of the answers seems to support a direct link between pollution and seal immune systems. But A and B both at least demonstrate that the pollution is even there. A goes further than B and implies that there's enough troubling conditions in the area to cause ecological damage.

IMO none of the answers provide good support at all... but the Q wants us to find the strongest, which in this case seems to be the best of a bad lot. For me if I saw that other animals were croaking in the same area as the seals that would at least provide a basis on which to take the pollution theory a bit more seriously!
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1263
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2010, 14:37
dalmba wrote:
nifoui wrote:
You're right Noboru... but that's a tough one!

Yeah, it's weird.

A) Seems to imply that the North Sea is a sketchy place for things to live, not for just the seals
B) Implies that yes, there is pollution kicking around in the North Sea
C) Is completely irrelevant
D) Same with this one, we don't care
E) This is probably what I would have chosen too, simply because it seems the most related. It points out that back in the day, the virus' disease was a toughie for the seals' immune systems... but that's kind of par for the course for most new diseases in any animal population.

After some thought, I'll have to go with A. None of the answers seems to support a direct link between pollution and seal immune systems. But A and B both at least demonstrate that the pollution is even there. A goes further than B and implies that there's enough troubling conditions in the area to cause ecological damage.

IMO none of the answers provide good support at all... but the Q wants us to find the strongest, which in this case seems to be the best of a bad lot. For me if I saw that other animals were croaking in the same area as the seals that would at least provide a basis on which to take the pollution theory a bit more seriously!


OK, but in A it could be the virus (and therefore not the pollution) what made the decline of shellfish and seabirds in the North Sea, and if that were the case, there is no support of the conclusion
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2010
Posts: 113
Location: Halifax, Canada
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2010, 14:47
noboru wrote:
OK, but in A it could be the virus (and therefore not the pollution) what made the decline of shellfish and seabirds in the North Sea, and if that were the case, there is no support of the conclusion

Yeah but it doesn't even imply that, so you can't make that assumption (it's unlikely that a virus that messes up seals in a specific way is going to cross to other species anyway). I can come up with all kinds of assumptions about all of the answers to both improve and dissolve their supportive capacity for the argument... but that of course is not the point. You can only take what is directly stated as truth and then see which truths, however absolutely distant, are the closest (relatively) to supporting the argument. And for me that remains A after the discussion here that helped me see where E falls short.

Seems the best thing you can do is post the OA. That way we can all work backwards and try to fetter out the reasoning!
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1263
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2010, 14:51
dalmba wrote:
noboru wrote:
OK, but in A it could be the virus (and therefore not the pollution) what made the decline of shellfish and seabirds in the North Sea, and if that were the case, there is no support of the conclusion

Yeah but it doesn't even imply that, so you can't make that assumption (it's unlikely that a virus that messes up seals in a specific way is going to cross to other species anyway). I can come up with all kinds of assumptions about all of the answers to both improve and dissolve their supportive capacity for the argument... but that of course is not the point. You can only take what is directly stated as truth and then see which truths, however absolutely distant, are the closest (relatively) to supporting the argument. And for me that remains A after the discussion here that helped me see where E falls short.

Seems the best thing you can do is post the OA. That way we can all work backwards and try to fetter out the reasoning!


OA is A.
For me this is a very difficult one.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2010
Posts: 113
Location: Halifax, Canada
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2010, 15:08
noboru wrote:
OA is A.
For me this is a very difficult one.

It's probably because none of the answers really make a solid connection between the pollution and the immune systems of the seals. So we're forced to pick the answer that comes the closest. When making my final decision, I looked at it as if I had been called to investigate whether or not the argument (pollution weakens immune system) was true or not. However my time is valuable (hypothetically :wink:) so I want to know if I should even waste my time.

Treating each of the answers as a "reason" to go ahead and investigate, which is the most compelling?

Obviously not C or D because they're obviously not even close to being related to the topic.

B is a bit interesting because it implies that pollution does exist in the North Sea but I can readily assume that water pollution exists all over the place, so why do I care?

E is an interesting fact... but doesn't add anything that I don't already know or could have easily inferred.

But A notes that things are often dying in hordes out in the North Sea. While this does not say anything about seals or pollution or even viruses, it makes me raise an eyebrow and think "huh, maybe there is something funky going on out there. We should probably check it out." In more formal terms, A provides plausible evidence for a common variable in animal death in the North Sea. Based on general knowledge, this is more likely to do with some sort of shift in the ecosystem than it is to do with a seal virus.

It's tempting to start dreaming up reasons why A COULD be wrong: like you said... maybe it IS the virus that's killing birds. Maybe the death of the seals is messing up the food chain? But we don't know, so we have to keep an open mind about it. Maybe it is the pollution that's killing birds and sea life... so maybe it IS the pollution that's leading to seal death as well. None of the other answers really invoke that line of thinking as well as A does.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Affiliations: ?
Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Posts: 186
Location: Africa/Europe
Schools: Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2010, 15:33
1
noboru wrote:

OA is A.
For me this is a very difficult one.


I really don't see how (A) could support the fact that pollution caused dammage to the immune system of these fish or whatever... :roll:
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1263
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2010, 16:43
madeinafrica wrote:
noboru wrote:

OA is A.
For me this is a very difficult one.


I really don't see how (A) could support the fact that pollution caused dammage to the immune system of these fish or whatever... :roll:


dalmba has explained it above.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1295
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2010, 18:05
what is the source of this question?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Posts: 56
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2010, 02:04
Great question....I am still bit apprehensive about A.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2010
Posts: 15
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2010, 20:11
i choose E without realize that it weaken argument...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 32
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2010, 23:53
A

(A) At various times during the last ten years, several species of shellfish and seabirds in the North Sea have experienced unprecedented steep drops in population --> In argument “There must be a reason the normally latent virus could prevail so suddenly” explains that there is something else in north sea causing deaths of shellfish (Pollution). This to some extent supports the argument
(B) By reducing pollution at its source, Northern Europe and Scandinavia have been taking the lead in preventing pollution from reaching the waters of the North Sea --> weaken
(C) For many years, fish for human consumption have been taken from the waters of the North Sea --> weaken by countering the argument with another reason
(D) There are two species of seal found throughout the North Sea area, the common seal and the gray seal --> out of scope
(E) The distemper caused by the virus was a disease that was new to the population of North Sea seals in May 1988, and so the seals’ immune systems were ..” --- >weaken
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Posts: 841
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2011, 14:36
Correct answer is A

(A) At various times during the last ten years, several species of shellfish and seabirds in the North Sea have experienced unprecedented steep drops in population.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Retaking next month
Affiliations: None
Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 177
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2011, 21:30
Best is A

1)Supports: Pollution is causing others sea creatures to die as well
2) Weakens
3)Out of Scope
4)Out of Scope
5) Weakens

So Something that doesn't weakens is kind of neutral or may be supporting the Explanation.

No where it is told that we would get a perfect answer in answer choices. Relatively better is Good to choose.

Doesn't this resembles our day to day lives. We take decisions based on which is a better choice.Perfection is not always required. :wink:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Oct 2016
Posts: 157
Location: China
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2016, 08:03
is there anything to do with "At various times during the last ten years" I mean the past thing can have no effect on present phenomena
_________________

LSAT CR is driving me mad

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3201
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2016, 11:21
YangYichen wrote:
is there anything to do with "At various times during the last ten years" I mean the past thing can have no effect on present phenomena


Unless the year when the statement is made is known, the phrase "At various times during the last ten years" does not have a role. The sentence would be more meaningful, if it were something like "during the same period".
Re: A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2016, 11:21

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.