It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 21:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2010
Posts: 620

Kudos [?]: 286 [1], given: 51

A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2011, 07:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:29) correct 39% (01:51) wrong based on 728 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its products, with the goal of reducing production costs. A trial production run using the new process showed a fifteen percent reduction in costs compared with past performance using the standard process. The production managers therefore concluded that the new process did produce a cost savings.

Which of the following, if true, casts most doubt on the production managers' conclusion?

(A) In the cost reduction project that eventually led to the trial of the new process, production managers had initially been seeking cost reductions of fifty percent.

(B) Analysis of the trial of the new process showed that the cost reduction during the trial was entirely attributable to a reduction in the number of finished products rejected by quality control.

(C) While the trial was being conducted, production costs at the factory for a similar product, produced without benefit of the new process, also showed a fifteen percent reduction.

(D) Although some of the factory's managers have been arguing that the product is outdated and ought to be redesigned, the use of the new production process does not involve any changes in the finished product.

(E) Since the new process differs from the standard process only in the way in which the stages of production are organized and ordered, the cost of the materials used in the product is the same in both processes.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Kudos [?]: 286 [1], given: 51

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2011, 11:15
IMO "C"

The production managers therefore concluded that the new process did produce a cost savings.

(C) While the trial was being conducted, production costs at the factory for a similar product[highlight], produced without
benefit of the new process[/highlight], also showed a 15 percent reduction.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1626

Kudos [?]: 1138 [2], given: 109

Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2011, 12:53
2
This post received
KUDOS
+1 C

A - Out of scope: The conclusion is about whether the new process helped to reduce the costs.
B - Out of scope: It doesn't matter how the costs were reduced as long as the new process is the main cause.
C - The costs reduction has taken without using the new process. - Correct
Note: Maybe you could say "but it is not the same product; it is something similar". Yes, you are right. But you must remember that a "Weaken question" doesn't have to destroy totally the conclusion; it can harm the question partially. This is the case.
D - Opposite: This choice supports the conclusion. Other possible factors have not changed; therefore, the new process is the main cause of the reduction costs.
E - Same as in D.

I think I deserve kudos. 8-)
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1138 [2], given: 109

VP
VP
avatar
Status: There is always something new !!
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 1268

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 10

Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2011, 21:44
Between B and C.

B actually gives reasoning stating how the cost reduction was achiever.Thus affirming that the production technique improved the efficiency.

C compares and clearly creates an element of doubt that there must be some other reason for cost reductions.

C is clean.

time 1:10 sec
_________________

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 10

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2010
Posts: 620

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 51

Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2011, 22:33
hmmm your timing is quite good , i managed this in 1:53 min.

the OA is C
_________________

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 51

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 212

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 84

Location: India
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2013, 15:06
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its products, with the goal of reducing production costs. A trial production run using the new process showed a fifteen percent reduction in costs compared with past performance using the standard process. The production managers therefore concluded that the new process did produce a cost savings.

Which of the following, if true, casts most doubt on the production managers' conclusion?

A. In the cost reduction project that eventually led to the trial of the new process, production managers had initially been seeking cost reductions of fifty percent.
B. Analysis of the trial of the new process showed that the cost reduction during the trial was entirely attributable to a reduction in the number of finished products rejected by quality control.
C. While the trial was being conducted, production costs at the factory for a similar product, produced without benefit of the new process, also showed a fifteen percent reduction.
D. Although some of the factory's managers have been arguing that the product is outdated and ought to be redesigned, the use of the new production process does not involve any changes in the finished product.
E. Since the new process differs from the standard process only in the way in which the stages of production are organized and ordered, the cost of the materials used in the product is the same in both processes.
_________________

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D


Last edited by Zarrolou on 13 Jun 2013, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 84

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 493

Kudos [?]: 878 [3], given: 276

Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2013, 19:27
3
This post received
KUDOS
A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its products, with the goal of reducing production costs. A trial production run using the new process showed a fifteen percent reduction in costs compared with past performance using the standard process. The production managers therefore concluded that the new process did produce a cost savings.

Which of the following, if true, casts most doubt on the production managers' conclusion? - Conclusion is highlighted in Red Color
A. In the cost reduction project that eventually led to the trial of the new process, production managers had initially been seeking cost reductions of fifty percent.- Close answers but incorrect because we don't want to compare the effectiveness of new process based on expectations

B. Analysis of the trial of the new process showed that the cost reduction during the trial was entirely attributable to a reduction in the number of finished products rejected by quality control.- Typical Shell game option. It just states how new process reduced the production costs.

C. While the trial was being conducted, production costs at the factory for a similar product, produced without benefit of the new process, also showed a fifteen percent reduction.- This statement conclusive weakens the argument by stating that new process was not the cause of reduced production cost. It was something else that cause the reduction in production cost. Correct

D. Although some of the factory's managers have been arguing that the product is outdated and ought to be redesigned, the use of the new production process does not involve any changes in the finished product. - OFS

E. Since the new process differs from the standard process only in the way in which the stages of production are organized and ordered, the cost of the materials used in the product is the same in both processes. - This statement strengthens the conclusion by adding one more info. Incorrect


Hope this helps many.

Fame
_________________

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Kudos [?]: 878 [3], given: 276

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 329

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 12

Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2013, 14:55
Thoughtosphere wrote:
A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its products, with the goal of reducing production costs. A trial production run using the new process showed a fifteen percent reduction in costs compared with past performance using the standard process. The production managers therefore concluded that the new process did produce a cost savings.

Which of the following, if true, casts most doubt on the production managers' conclusion?

A. In the cost reduction project that eventually led to the trial of the new process, production managers had initially been seeking cost reductions of fifty percent.
B. Analysis of the trial of the new process showed that the cost reduction during the trial was entirely attributable to a reduction in the number of finished products rejected by quality control.
C. While the trial was being conducted, production costs at the factory for a similar product, produced without benefit of the new process, also showed a fifteen percent reduction.
D. Although some of the factory's managers have been arguing that the product is outdated and ought to be redesigned, the use of the new production process does not involve any changes in the finished product.
E. Since the new process differs from the standard process only in the way in which the stages of production are organized and ordered, the cost of the materials used in the product is the same in both processes.


Argument : production cost is decreased because of the new process.
Typical answer : No , it's not the new process but something else. Answer C does that.

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 12

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 194

Kudos [?]: 418 [2], given: 886

Location: United States
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2013, 22:35
2
This post received
KUDOS
This is a cause and effect question and once we understand the cause and effect its not too difficult to point out the answer choice.
cause - New process that was introduced.
Effect - Cost savings .

In order to weaken this cause effect relationship we need to either have another cause which could result in the effect or prove that the cause was not correct.

A. In the cost reduction project that eventually led to the trial of the new process, production managers had initially been seeking cost reductions of fifty percent.
This is n Out of Scope answer choice

B. Analysis of the trial of the new process showed that the cost reduction during the trial was entirely attributable to a reduction in the number of finished products rejected by quality control.
Strengthens the conclusion based on the cause

C. While the trial was being conducted, production costs at the factory for a similar product, produced without benefit of the new process, also showed a fifteen percent reduction.
Alternate cause of reduction in costs - correct answer.

D. Although some of the factory's managers have been arguing that the product is outdated and ought to be redesigned, the use of the new production process does not involve any changes in the finished product.
Out of scope answer choice.

E. Since the new process differs from the standard process only in the way in which the stages of production are organized and ordered, the cost of the materials used in the product is the same in both processes
Strengthens the conclusion based on the premise.

Kudos me if you like the post !!!!!!!!!!
_________________

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

Kudos [?]: 418 [2], given: 886

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1966

Kudos [?]: 758 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2014, 09:00
akhil911 wrote:
This is a cause and effect question and once we understand the cause and effect its not too difficult to point out the answer choice.
cause - New process that was introduced.
Effect - Cost savings .

In order to weaken this cause effect relationship we need to either have another cause which could result in the effect or prove that the cause was not correct.

A. In the cost reduction project that eventually led to the trial of the new process, production managers had initially been seeking cost reductions of fifty percent.
This is n Out of Scope answer choice

B. Analysis of the trial of the new process showed that the cost reduction during the trial was entirely attributable to a reduction in the number of finished products rejected by quality control.
Strengthens the conclusion based on the cause

C. While the trial was being conducted, production costs at the factory for a similar product, produced without benefit of the new process, also showed a fifteen percent reduction.
Alternate cause of reduction in costs - correct answer.

D. Although some of the factory's managers have been arguing that the product is outdated and ought to be redesigned, the use of the new production process does not involve any changes in the finished product.
Out of scope answer choice.

E. Since the new process differs from the standard process only in the way in which the stages of production are organized and ordered, the cost of the materials used in the product is the same in both processes
Strengthens the conclusion based on the premise.

Kudos me if you like the post !!!!!!!!!!


They got me on B. I thought it was an alternate cause. Since they only did a few samples, then they would have fewer rejections and thus save money. This would not happen in large scale operation

Any comments?

Bumpingggg

Cheers!
J :)

Kudos [?]: 758 [0], given: 355

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42575

Kudos [?]: 135412 [4], given: 12692

Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2014, 06:10
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
8
This post was
BOOKMARKED

GMAT weekly questions



A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its products, with the goal of reducing production costs. A trial production run using the new process showed a fifteen percent reduction in costs compared with past performance using the standard process. The production managers therefore concluded that the new process did produce a cost savings.

Which of the following, if true, casts most doubt on the production managers' conclusion?

(A) In the cost reduction project that eventually led to the trial of the new process, production managers had initially been seeking cost reductions of fifty percent.

(B) Analysis of the trial of the new process showed that the cost reduction during the trial was entirely attributable to a reduction in the number of finished products rejected by quality control.

(C) While the trial was being conducted, production costs at the factory for a similar product, produced without benefit of the new process, also showed a fifteen percent reduction.

(D) Although some of the factory's managers have been arguing that the product is outdated and ought to be redesigned, the use of the new production process does not involve any changes in the finished product.

(E) Since the new process differs from the standard process only in the way in which the stages of production are organized and ordered, the cost of the materials used in the product is the same in both processes.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135412 [4], given: 12692

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42575

Kudos [?]: 135412 [2], given: 12692

Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2014, 06:11
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:

GMAT weekly questions



A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its products, with the goal of reducing production costs. A trial production run using the new process showed a fifteen percent reduction in costs compared with past performance using the standard process. The production managers therefore concluded that the new process did produce a cost savings. Which of the following, if true, casts most doubt on the production managers' conclusion?

A. In the cost reduction project that eventually led to the trial of the new process, production managers had initially been seeking cost reductions of fifty percent.

B. Analysis of the trial of the new process showed that the cost reduction during the trial was entirely attributable to a reduction in the number of finished products rejected by quality control.

C. While the trial was being conducted, production costs at the factory for a similar product, produced without benefit of the new process, also showed a fifteen percent reduction.

D. Although some of the factory's managers have been arguing that the product is outdated and ought to be redesigned, the use of the new production process does not involve any changes in the finished product.

E. Since the new process differs from the standard process only in the way in which the stages of production are organized and ordered, the cost of the materials used in the product is the same in both processes.


The managers concluded that the new process produced a cost savings on the basis of a trial run of the process in which costs were 15 percent lower than they had been previously. You are asked to identify something that casts doubt on their conclusion.\

Choice C is the best answer. If production costs at the factory fell for a similar product that was produced without using the new process, it is more doubtful that the observed production cost reductions achieved during the trial run were actually produced by the new process.

Choice A is incorrect; the fact that the managers had hoped for cost reduction of fifty percent does not cast any doubt on their conclusion that the new process had produced at least some savings. Choice B is incorrect since finding the source of the cost savings in the trial shows that the savings were no mere accident and so reinforces the managers' conclusion. Choices D and E are incorrect since by emphasizing that certain aspects of the product - its design and raw materials - were the same in the standard process and the new process, these two answer choices support, rather than cast doubt on, the conclusion that the process itself produced the savings.

Answer: C.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135412 [2], given: 12692

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 212

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 84

Location: India
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2014, 19:46
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jlgdr wrote:
akhil911 wrote:
This is a cause and effect question and once we understand the cause and effect its not too difficult to point out the answer choice.
cause - New process that was introduced.
Effect - Cost savings .

In order to weaken this cause effect relationship we need to either have another cause which could result in the effect or prove that the cause was not correct.

A. In the cost reduction project that eventually led to the trial of the new process, production managers had initially been seeking cost reductions of fifty percent.
This is n Out of Scope answer choice

B. Analysis of the trial of the new process showed that the cost reduction during the trial was entirely attributable to a reduction in the number of finished products rejected by quality control.
Strengthens the conclusion based on the cause

C. While the trial was being conducted, production costs at the factory for a similar product, produced without benefit of the new process, also showed a fifteen percent reduction.
Alternate cause of reduction in costs - correct answer.

D. Although some of the factory's managers have been arguing that the product is outdated and ought to be redesigned, the use of the new production process does not involve any changes in the finished product.
Out of scope answer choice.

E. Since the new process differs from the standard process only in the way in which the stages of production are organized and ordered, the cost of the materials used in the product is the same in both processes
Strengthens the conclusion based on the premise.

Kudos me if you like the post !!!!!!!!!!


They got me on B. I thought it was an alternate cause. Since they only did a few samples, then they would have fewer rejections and thus save money. This would not happen in large scale operation

Any comments?

Bumpingggg

Cheers!
J :)


Dear J
The new process was introduced to reduce the cost. Now there can be numerous reasons for a high in cost,and one if the reasons can be a large number of rejected products. If the number of rejections have decreased because of the introduction of new processes, then it would mean that the new process has decreased the rejections, let's say by increasing the quality. This decrease in rejection would support the statement that the new process has decreased the rejection and thus saved the cost.

On the contrary, option C suggests that another product similar to the product in question also showed 15℅ reduction in the cost. This would really question the understanding that the reduction in the product was because of the new process since products using the old process are also showing a decrease in cost.

Hope that helps you..
_________________

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 84

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10160

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 15:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 88

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 254

Schools: IIMB
Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2016, 11:44
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

GMAT weekly questions



A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its products, with the goal of reducing production costs. A trial production run using the new process showed a fifteen percent reduction in costs compared with past performance using the standard process. The production managers therefore concluded that the new process did produce a cost savings. Which of the following, if true, casts most doubt on the production managers' conclusion?

A. In the cost reduction project that eventually led to the trial of the new process, production managers had initially been seeking cost reductions of fifty percent.

B. Analysis of the trial of the new process showed that the cost reduction during the trial was entirely attributable to a reduction in the number of finished products rejected by quality control.

C. While the trial was being conducted, production costs at the factory for a similar product, produced without benefit of the new process, also showed a fifteen percent reduction.

D. Although some of the factory's managers have been arguing that the product is outdated and ought to be redesigned, the use of the new production process does not involve any changes in the finished product.

E. Since the new process differs from the standard process only in the way in which the stages of production are organized and ordered, the cost of the materials used in the product is the same in both processes.


The managers concluded that the new process produced a cost savings on the basis of a trial run of the process in which costs were 15 percent lower than they had been previously. You are asked to identify something that casts doubt on their conclusion.\

Choice C is the best answer. If production costs at the factory fell for a similar product that was produced without using the new process, it is more doubtful that the observed production cost reductions achieved during the trial run were actually produced by the new process.

Choice A is incorrect; the fact that the managers had hoped for cost reduction of fifty percent does not cast any doubt on their conclusion that the new process had produced at least some savings. Choice B is incorrect since finding the source of the cost savings in the trial shows that the savings were no mere accident and so reinforces the managers' conclusion. Choices D and E are incorrect since by emphasizing that certain aspects of the product - its design and raw materials - were the same in the standard process and the new process, these two answer choices support, rather than cast doubt on, the conclusion that the process itself produced the savings.

Answer: C.



Hi Bunuel,

Thank for posting such good question . However I chose option B using the logic that: products produced using the new process are faulty and are rejected by quality control, so adopting this new process will not produce cost savings since it will produce faulty products ,will cause more wastage, hence less cost savings. Thus weakening our conclusion.
Please tell me how this is incorrect.


Thanks & Regards
Megha

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 254

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Mar 2015
Posts: 103

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 92

Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2016, 12:56
Hi Megha_2709,

Conclusion: The new production process did produce a 15% cost saving.

We need to somehow show that the new process did not produce any better results than the existing process.

Option B tells us the reason for cost reduction using the new process. So this option does not weaken our conclusion.

Option C tells that even without using the new process we still achieved a cost reduction. Now, this options challenges the premise of using the new process for cost reduction. This option creates a doubt and so the right answer.

Hope that helped .!!

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 92

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10160

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 10:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 353

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 472

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2016, 08:03
UmangMathur wrote:
A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its products, with the goal of reducing production costs. A trial production run using the new process showed a fifteen percent reduction in costs compared with past performance using the standard process. The production managers therefore concluded that the new process did produce a cost savings.

Which of the following, if true, casts most doubt on the production managers' conclusion?

A. In the cost reduction project that eventually led to the trial of the new process, production managers had initially been seeking cost reductions of fifty percent.
B. Analysis of the trial of the new process showed that the cost reduction during the trial was entirely attributable to a reduction in the number of finished products rejected by quality control.
C. While the trial was being conducted, production costs at the factory for a similar product, produced without benefit of the new process, also showed a fifteen percent reduction.
D. Although some of the factory's managers have been arguing that the product is outdated and ought to be redesigned, the use of the new production process does not involve any changes in the finished product.
E. Since the new process differs from the standard process only in the way in which the stages of production are organized and ordered, the cost of the materials used in the product is the same in both processes.


Can someone help me to understand why option 'B' is incorrect.

Many thanks in advance
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 472

Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2857

Kudos [?]: 965 [0], given: 69

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2016, 09:24
sairam595 wrote:
UmangMathur wrote:
A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its products, with the goal of reducing production costs. A trial production run using the new process showed a fifteen percent reduction in costs compared with past performance using the standard process. The production managers therefore concluded that the new process did produce a cost savings.

Which of the following, if true, casts most doubt on the production managers' conclusion?

A. In the cost reduction project that eventually led to the trial of the new process, production managers had initially been seeking cost reductions of fifty percent.
B. Analysis of the trial of the new process showed that the cost reduction during the trial was entirely attributable to a reduction in the number of finished products rejected by quality control.
C. While the trial was being conducted, production costs at the factory for a similar product, produced without benefit of the new process, also showed a fifteen percent reduction.
D. Although some of the factory's managers have been arguing that the product is outdated and ought to be redesigned, the use of the new production process does not involve any changes in the finished product.
E. Since the new process differs from the standard process only in the way in which the stages of production are organized and ordered, the cost of the materials used in the product is the same in both processes.


Can someone help me to understand why option 'B' is incorrect.

Many thanks in advance


Our aim is to find out whether the new process actually lead to cost reduction.

B is saying new process achieved the reduction by this way or that way. Which is nothing by an additional information on how the cost is reduced.

D is saying that there was overall reduction in cost, even in those processes that donot use the new process. hence, weakens the conclusion stating that there was something else that caused the reduction all over.

hence, correct answer is D.
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 965 [0], given: 69

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 92

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 135

Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge
Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 08:45
The manager concluded that the new process produced a cost savings on the basis of a trial run of the process in which costs were 15 percent lower than they had been previously. We are asked to identify something that casts doubt on their conclusion.

Choice C is the best answer. If production costs at the factory fell for a similar product that was produced without using the new process, it is more doubtful that the observed production cost reductions achieved during the trial run were actually produced by the new process.
Choice A is incorrect; the fact that the managers had hoped for cost reductions of fifty percent does not cast any doubt on their conclusion that the new process had produced at least some savings.
Choice B is incorrect since finding the source of the cost savings in the trial shows that the savings were no mere accident and so reinforces the managers’ conclusion.
Choice D and E are incorrect since by emphasizing that certain aspects of the product-its design and raw materials-were the same in the standard process and the new process, these two answer choices support, rather than cast doubt on, the conclusion that the process itself produced the savings.
_________________

Regards,
Varun


Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 135

Re: A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2017, 08:45

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

A factory was trying out a new process for producing one of its produc

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.