GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 12:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A Farey sequence of order n is the sequence of fractions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
A Farey sequence of order n is the sequence of fractions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2012, 11:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (01:46) correct 67% (01:51) wrong based on 492 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A Farey sequence of order n is the sequence of fractions between 0 and 1 which, when in lowest terms, have denominators less than or equal to n, arranged in order of increasing size. For example, the Farey sequence of order 3 is: {0, 1/3 , 1/2, 2/3 , 1}. Is sequence S a Farey sequence?

(1) Sequence S has fewer than 10 elements.
(2) The second element of sequence S is 1/5

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 3.47
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A Farey sequence of order n is the sequence of fractions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2012, 12:23
A Farey sequence of order n is the sequence of fractions between 0 and 1 which, when in lowest terms, have denominators less than or equal to n, arranged in order of increasing size. For example, the Farey sequence of order 3 is: {0, 1/3 , 1/2, 2/3 , 1}. Is sequence S a Farey sequence?

(1) Sequence S has fewer than 10 elements.
(2) The second element of sequence S is 1/5

I've never seen a question like this...

(1) can be any sequence less than 10 elements - insufficient
(2) can be any sequence with 2nd term 1/5 - insufficient

Now combining both statements...
The only way to definitively answer is if the Farey sequence (0, 1/5 , .., ..., 1) doesnt fit the parameters given

so the Farey sequence is (0, 1/5, 1/4, 1/3, 2/5, 1/2, 3/5, 2/3, 3/4, 1)

Thus the farey sequence in question has 10 elements thus it cannot be the farey sequence so it is sufficient.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2012, 12:32

(1) Sequence S has fewer than 10 elements. Clearly insufficient, S can be any sequence.
(2) The second element of sequence S is 1/5 --> there is a Farey sequences with 1/5 as the second element in it as well as there are infinitely many other type of sequences also with 1/5 as the second element in it. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Now, in order 1/5 to be the second element of a Farey sequence, the sequence must be of order 5: {0⁄1, 1⁄5, 1⁄4, 1⁄3, 2⁄5, 1⁄2, 3⁄5, 2⁄3, 3⁄4, 4⁄5, 1⁄1}, which as we can see has 11 elements, so the sequence which has fewer than 10 elements and has the second element equal to 1/5 cannot be a Farey sequence. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2012, 19:19
Bunuel wrote:
IMPORTANT NOTE: A Farey sequence is not tested on the GMAT, so you can completely ignore this question and skip it.

Thanks Bunnel, I will message the same to Jeff Sackmann also so that he can deleat this question from their 100 challenging questions on Algebra.
Regards.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2012, 05:10
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
IMPORTANT NOTE: A Farey sequence is not tested on the GMAT, so you can completely ignore this question and skip it.

Thanks Bunnel, I will message the same to Jeff Sackmann also so that he can deleat this question from their 100 challenging questions on Algebra.
Regards.

GMAT doesn't expect you to know what a Farey sequence is but it could describe the characteristics of the sequence for you and then ask you a question on it as is done in this question.
Say, a +-1 sequence is a sequence where each term is one of +1 or -1. What is the sum of all the terms of this sequence?... and then two statements or something similar.
So I would say that make sure you understand the logic tested in this question.

Karishma

Save up to $1,000 on GMAT prep through 8/20! Learn more here >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2012, 05:14
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Regards.

GMAT doesn't expect you to know what a Farey sequence is but it could describe the characteristics of the sequence for you and then ask you a question on it as is done in this question.
Say, a +-1 sequence is a sequence where each term is one of +1 or -1. What is the sum of all the terms of this sequence?... and then two statements or something similar.
So I would say that make sure you understand the logic tested in this question.

Very true. Though I very much doubt that the GMAT will throw you a question on such a topic as a Farey sequence, which is a bit out of the GMAT scope.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2012, 09:41
Thank you Bunnel and Karishma...Great insight by you both...indeed valuable.

Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Jan 2014, 08:23
Bunuel wrote:
From 100 hardest questions
Bumping for review and further discussion.

Hi

Can anyone tell me how the individual terms of a farey sequence are arrived at? Do we have to memorize the terms or is there an actual way to get the terms.

I know this may be out of scope for GMAT, but there is no harm in understanding this.

Thank you

- Stne

Originally posted by stne on 27 Dec 2013, 19:50.
Last edited by stne on 02 Jan 2014, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
P

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2014, 23:51
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hi

Can anyone tell me how the individual terms of a farey sequence are arrived at? Do we have to memorize the terms or is there an actual way to get the terms.

I know this may be out of scope for GMAT, but there is no harm is understanding this.

Thank you

They have given you the rules:
Terms must be between 0 and 1
For order n, the denominator must be less than or equal to n.
The terms should be arranged in increasing order.

So say we need the Farey sequence of order 2.
Terms will be: {0, 1/2, 1}

For order 4, terms will be: 0, 1/2, 1, 1/3, 2/3, 1/4, 3/4
Arrange them in increasing order: {0, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 1}

Basically, 0 and 1 will always be there (the example shows us that).
Then find the terms you will have with each denominator (2, 3, 4 in this case).
The terms where the numerator will be less than the denominator will be included. The fractions need to be in the lowest terms. If a fraction is repeated, we put it in only once (we obtained 2/4 above but omitted it since we already have 1/2)

With denominator 2, we have only 1/2
With denominator 3, we have 1/3 and 2/3
With denominator 4, we have 1/4, 2/4 (already there), 3/4

Similarly, you can find the sequence of order 5. Note that there will be a unique sequence for every order.
Also, you don't need to memorize it since if GMAT does have a question related to any specific sequence, the question will explicitly define the sequence and explain how to arrive at the terms (as done here).

Karishma

Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2014, 08:15
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hi

I know this may be out of scope for GMAT, but there is no harm is understanding this.

Thank you

They have given you the rules:
Terms must be between 0 and 1
For order n, the denominator must be less than or equal to n.
The terms should be arranged in increasing order.

So say we need the Farey sequence of order 2.
Terms will be: {0, 1/2, 1}

For order 4, terms will be: 0, 1/2, 1, 1/3, 2/3, 1/4, 3/4
Arrange them in increasing order: {0, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 1}

Basically, 0 and 1 will always be there (the example shows us that).
Then find the terms you will have with each denominator (2, 3, 4 in this case).
The terms where the numerator will be less than the denominator will be included. The fractions need to be in the lowest terms. If a fraction is repeated, we put it in only once (we obtained 2/4 above but omitted it since we already have 1/2)

With denominator 2, we have only 1/2
With denominator 3, we have 1/3 and 2/3
With denominator 4, we have 1/4, 2/4 (already there), 3/4

Similarly, you can find the sequence of order 5. Note that there will be a unique sequence for every order.
Also, you don't need to memorize it since if GMAT does have a question related to any specific sequence, the question will explicitly define the sequence and explain how to arrive at the terms (as done here).

Thank you, here is proof that I have understood it

Are the terms of the Farey sequence of order 6 as below,( not arranged in increasing order ).

{ 0,1/6,1/5,1/4,1/3,1/2,2/3,3/4,2/5,3/5,4/5,5/6,1}

Well if at least the terms are correct then I think I have got it, thanks to you

but is there an easier way to arrange them in increasing order? All I know of is cross multiplying the fractions and then comparing both , e.g between 2/3 and 3/4 , I cross multiply( denominator * numerator) and get 8 and 9 so I know 3/4 >2/3 , but to use this method with 13 terms seems tedious.
So:
a) Have I at least got the terms of the farey sequence of order 6 correct?
b) Please share any miraculous way you know to arrange them in increasing order ?

Thank you +1

- Stne

P

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2014, 22:22
stne wrote:

Are the terms of the Farey sequence of order 6 as below,( not arranged in increasing order ).

Well if at least the terms are correct then I think I have got it, thanks to you

but is there an easier way to arrange them in increasing order? All I know of is cross multiplying the fractions and then comparing both , e.g between 2/3 and 3/4 , I cross multiply( denominator * numerator) and get 8 and 9 so I know 3/4 >2/3 , but to use this method with 13 terms seems tedious.
So:
b) Please share any miraculous way you know to arrange them in increasing order ?

Thank you +1

Yes, the terms are correct.
I don't really have a miraculous method to arrange them though some logic goes a long way in reducing our work.
Two things help us here:
1. Many fractions already have the same numerator or denominator. We can compare them by just looking at them.
Same numerator - Larger the denominator, smaller the fraction.
Same denominator - Larger the numerator, larger the fraction.
2. The fractions are simple so we already know their percent equivalents. 2/3 is 66.7%; 3/5 = 60%, 3/4 is 75%, 5/6 is 83%; 2/5 is 40%; 1/3 is 33% etc

First split them into two groups - less than 1/2 and greater than 1/2
Now just arrange them according to the discussion above.
{ 0,1/6,1/5,1/4,1/3, 2/5,1/2,3/5,2/3,3/4,4/5,5/6,1}

Karishma

Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2014, 08:52
stne wrote:

So:

Thank you +1

Yes, the terms are correct.
I don't really have a miraculous method to arrange them though some logic goes a long way in reducing our work.
Two things help us here:
1. Many fractions already have the same numerator or denominator. We can compare them by just looking at them.
Same numerator - Larger the denominator, smaller the fraction.
Same denominator - Larger the numerator, larger the fraction.
2. The fractions are simple so we already know their percent equivalents. 2/3 is 66.7%; 3/5 = 60%, 3/4 is 75%, 5/6 is 83%; 2/5 is 40%; 1/3 is 33% etc

First split them into two groups - less than 1/2 and greater than 1/2
Now just arrange them according to the discussion above.
{ 0,1/6,1/5,1/4,1/3, 2/5,1/2,3/5,2/3,3/4,4/5,5/6,1}

Thank you, I think you may have unknowingly lit a bulb in me.
the idea of converting fractions to percents in order to compare them never dawned on me.
I always used to cross multiply or convert to common denominator to compare, now I can convert to percent too!

I think you have given the miraculous way I was searching for.

also the same denominator and same numerator hint has really helped.

below is proof of my understanding,it is only because of percent conversion as shown by you, I could attempt something as herculean as this , earlier I couldn't even have imagined attempting something as tedious as this.Thank you.

Farey sequence of order 7 in increasing order.
{0, 1/7, 1/6, 1/5, 1/4, 2/7, 1/3, 2/5, 3/7, 1/2, 4/7, 3/5, 2/3, 5/7, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 6/7, 1}

Hope these are correct, full credit to you, thank you a ton, +1

- Stne

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 03:07
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: A Farey sequence of order n is the sequence of fractions &nbs [#permalink] 06 Jul 2018, 03:07

A Farey sequence of order n is the sequence of fractions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap