GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 04:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

A groundbreaking neuro-psychological research was conducted on epileps

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
A groundbreaking neuro-psychological research was conducted on epileps  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 11:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:14) correct 33% (01:13) wrong based on 390 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A groundbreaking neuro-psychological research was conducted on epilepsy patients, whom brains' neural activity is regularly monitored, and have discovered that memories of past events are stored in the same neurons in the brain which were active during the original experience.

A. whom brains' neural activity is regularly monitored, and have discovered that
B. whom brains' neural activity is regularly monitored, and has discovered that
C. whose brains' neural activity is regularly monitored, and have discovered that
D. using data from the regular monitoring of their neural activity to establish that
E. using data from the regularly monitoring of their neural activity to establish

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

CEO
CEO
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
A groundbreaking neuro-psychological research was conducted on epileps  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 12:07
A groundbreaking neuro-psychological research was conducted on epilepsy patients, whom brains' neural activity is regularly monitored, and have discovered that memories of past events are stored in the same neurons in the brain which were active during the original experience.

A couple of things incorrect in the sentence.

1. "whom" is correct. It should be "whose"
2. "have discovered.." who have discovered? No mention of the doer of discovering!

A. whom brains' neural activity is regularly monitored, and have discovered that
Incorrect.

B. whom brains' neural activity is regularly monitored, and has discovered that
Incorrect.

C. whose brains' neural activity is regularly monitored, and have discovered that
Incorrect. The text in blue is not the best way to write a GMAT SC sentence. "'s" is only to be used with concrete nouns, ie nouns that can posses things. Brain can not possess 'neural activity'. Better way would be to write it as "neural activity of the brain".

D. using data from the regular monitoring of their neural activity to establish that
Correct. "established that" is the correct way to write it.

E. using data from the regularly monitoring of their neural activity to establish
Incorrect. "establish memories of the past.." is illogical. In its current form, the sentence means that using the data from the monitoring of the neural activity has established the memories. This is not logical.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: A groundbreaking neuro-psychological research was conducted on epileps  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 19:57
A. whom brains' neural activity is regularly monitored, and have discovered that ----- whom brains is plain wrong
B. whom brains' neural activity is regularly monitored, and has discovered that ---- Same as A.
C. whose brains' neural activity is regularly monitored, and have discovered that --- What is the subject of ‘have discovered’? Very muddled with passive and active voice combo
D. using data from the regular monitoring of their neural activity to establish that---- ‘ regular monitoring’ is the correct diction; correct choice
E. using data from the regularly monitoring of their neural activity to establish --- ‘regularly monitoring’ is incorrect

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.56
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A groundbreaking neuro-psychological research was conducted on epileps  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 21:44
1. I don't think whom is wrong as "whom" refers to the object of the sentence and the pateints here are clearly the objects
2. The subject of the sentence is research , so "the research has discovered" not "have discovered" - A and C wrong
3. In E regulalrly monitoring is incorrect
4. In D i feel to establish that is not clearly written

Hence i Feel the answer must be B
CEO
CEO
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 03:25
Udai wrote:
1. I don't think whom is wrong as "whom" refers to the object of the sentence and the pateints here are clearly the objects
2. The subject of the sentence is research , so "the research has discovered" not "have discovered" - A and C wrong
3. In E regulalrly monitoring is incorrect
4. In D i feel to establish that is not clearly written

Hence i Feel the answer must be B

'Whom' should be used when you can replace whom by him or her ! Don't go into the terminologies but learn to apply these rules in a simple manner.
'Whose' shows possession ! In this given sentence brains of the patients are monitored and thus usage of 'whom' is incorrect. B is thus out. Another reason why B is out is the usage of "have discovered that". No plural subject in the sentence can perform this action of 'discovering'.

D is correct as an infinitive form of a verb (to + verb) shows the intention or goal ('To' form is correct if you can substitute 'to' with 'in order to' without any loss in meaning). In this case, The researchers monitored the neural activity of the brain in order to establish that Memories and the neurone are linked. This clearly shows the intention of the research conducted and this D is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 22:07
I eliminated D as the statement doesn't has any reference to brain, isn't it altered intent as as per original sentence we are monitoring brain's neutral activity.
But brain is missing in option D

Please let me know what am I missing here
Retired Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 09:09
In original sentence it is said that something has been discovered, where as the meaning of OA is that the research has been conducted to establish something. Isn't there any meaning shift?

Hasan Mahmud

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Project Management (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 11:14
D. using data from the regular monitoring of their neural activity to establish that---- ‘ regular monitoring’ is the correct diction

Option D
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A groundbreaking neuro-psychological research was conducted on epileps &nbs [#permalink] 04 Oct 2018, 11:14

A groundbreaking neuro-psychological research was conducted on epileps

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap