It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 13:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A group of scientists who have done research on the health effects of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1116 [1], given: 885

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
A group of scientists who have done research on the health effects of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 02:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:02) correct 37% (01:17) wrong based on 220 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A group of scientists who have done research on the health effects of food irradiation has discovered no evidence challenging its safety. Supporters of food irradiation have cited this research as certain proof that food irradiation is a safe practice.

A flaw in the reasoning of the supporters of food irradiation is that they

(A) assume that the scientists doing the research set out to prove that food irradiation is an unsafe practice

(B) are motivated by a biased interest in proving the practice to be safe

(C) overlook the possibility that objections about safety are not the only possible objections to the practice

(D) neglect to provide detailed information about the evidence used to support the conclusion

(E) use the lack of evidence contradicting a claim as conclusive evidence for that claim.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 1116 [1], given: 885

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5505 [1], given: 112

Re: A group of scientists who have done research on the health effects of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 21:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Vyshak wrote:
A group of scientists who have done research on the health effects of food irradiation has discovered no evidence challenging its safety. Supporters of food irradiation have cited this research as certain proof that food irradiation is a safe practice.

(A) assume that the scientists doing the research set out to prove that food irradiation is an unsafe practice

(C) overlook the possibility that objections about safety are not the only possible objections to the practice

(D) neglect to provide detailed information about the evidence used to support the conclusion

(E) use the lack of evidence contradicting a claim as conclusive evidence for that claim.

Hi,

PARA

A study has not found anything challenging SAfety of A. supporters of A claim A to be safe on grounds of the research..

Without looking at the choice, the flaw can be seen as-
Clearly lack of evidence in some research has been used to conclude to claim A to be safe

E does the exact thing
ans E

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A group of scientists who have done research on the health effects of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 03:28
I got this one correct but to me C was also tempting. can someone explain why C is the wrong choice?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 28

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 03:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rickyfication wrote:
I got this one correct but to me C was also tempting. can someone explain why C is the wrong choice?

Hi,
C is wrong because

lets see the choice

(C) overlook the possibility that objections about safetyare not the only possible objectionsto the practice

and the conclusion

Supporters of food irradiation have cited this research as certain proof that food irradiation is a safe practice.

If you look at the conclusion the objections were related to SAFETY and the conclusion is also about SAFETY..
C talks of other objections but the argument deals with ONLY safety or SAFE practice....

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 184

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2016, 19:55
Vyshak wrote:

cracked this one in slightly more than 1 minute.
no evidence to challenge the safety ≠ safe

E - use of lack of evidence contradicting the claim that it is safe as the premise to support the conclusion that it is safe.

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 184

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 231

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2016, 12:53
i would go with option E as the correct option

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 231

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 625

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 13:46
Why is A out of consideration? In A, if a research found by accident/ or generally that a practice is safe, then how can they cite it as evidence?

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 625

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 162

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 09:25
Madhavi1990 wrote:
Why is A out of consideration? In A, if a research found by accident/ or generally that a practice is safe, then how can they cite it as evidence?

My thoughts on this -

The stimuli doesn't tell us anything about the scientists. So this is extra information. Moreover, the use of strong words such as 'as out to prove' made me rule out this option.

Experts please correct me if I am wrong

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 162

Re: A group of scientists who have done research on the health effects of   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2017, 09:25

A group of scientists who have done research on the health effects of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap