Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619100 [9]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619100 [2]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [0]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Re: A merchant wants to increase the price of an item so that both the per [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
A merchant wants to increase the price of an item so that both the percent of increase and the resulting price in cents are positive integers. If the price of the item is $2.25, what is the least percent increase the merchant can apply? ($1 = 100 cents)

A. 2%
B. 4%
C. 10%
D. 33%
E. 100%

Find the least % increase that is a positive integer that results in a price in cents that is also a positive integer.

Like ss3617 I am not sure about the part of the question in which "a percent increase is to be a positive integer".

A. 2% * 225 = 4.5
B. 4% * 225 = 9
C. 10% * 225 = 22.5
D. 33% * 225 = 99
E. 100% * 225 = 225

It's either (E) or (B), not sure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Re: A merchant wants to increase the price of an item so that both the per [#permalink]
What does resulting price in cents are positive integer?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619100 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
anamika4 wrote:

It means that the resulting price must be an integer, so it cannot be say 350.4 cents.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
A merchant wants to increase the price of an item so that both the percent of increase and the resulting price in cents are positive integers. If the price of the item is $2.25, what is the least percent increase the merchant can apply? ($1 = 100 cents)

A. 2%
B. 4%
C. 10%
D. 33%
E. 100%

The term "positive integer" does throw off the test taker a bit since price or percentage increase doesn't seem likely to be negative anyway. The important point is that the price should be an integer.

Since we need the smallest percentage increase, we should start from the smallest value. If the price of the item is 225 cents, a 2% increase will not give an integer since 2/100 = 1/50 while 225 is odd. So 225/50 will not give an integer.

4/100 = 1/25
225 is divisible by 25 so this will give us an integer.

Answer (B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Bunuel wrote:
anamika4 wrote:

It means that the resulting price must be an integer, so it cannot be say 350.4 cents.

Thanks

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619100 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. 2%
B. 4%
C. 10%
D. 33%
E. 100%

Par of GMAT CLUB'S New Year's Quantitative Challenge Set

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 439 [2]
Given Kudos: 118
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
anamika4 wrote:

Hi Bunuel
I'm not sure if it could be the resulting price. I'm assuming the resulting price is the final price after adding the increase, which in this case would be $2.25 + $0.09 = $2.34. However, this is not an integer.

However, if the question mentioned that the resulting increase on the base price should have been an integer then this would have been a valid solution as 9 is an integer.

Until then I believe Option D is better, in which 33% results in 75 cents and the overall final price is $2.25 + $0.75 = $3.00 (integer) and everyone is happy :)

Please let me know if the interpretation is intended differently. Hope I've been able to describe this appropriately.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
Send PM
A merchant wants to increase the price of an item so that both the per [#permalink]
sanjitscorps18 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
anamika4 wrote:

Hi Bunuel
I'm not sure if it could be the resulting price. I'm assuming the resulting price is the final price after adding the increase, which in this case would be $2.25 + $0.09 = $2.34. However, this is not an integer.

However, if the question mentioned that the resulting increase on the base price should have been an integer then this would have been a valid solution as 9 is an integer.

Until then I believe Option D is better, in which 33% results in 75 cents and the overall final price is $2.25 + $0.75 = $3.00 (integer) and everyone is happy :)

Please let me know if the interpretation is intended differently. Hope I've been able to describe this appropriately.

I agree. Thanks Bunuel for pointing me to this link.
I do think the question could say, the resultant increase (or the amount of increase etc.) in cents is an integer, instead of "resulting price in cents". It could be interpreted as 2.25 + x% of 2.25.
GMAT Club Bot
A merchant wants to increase the price of an item so that both the per [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
92929 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts