Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2803 [7]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Send PM
Re: A new gardening rake with an S-shaped handle reduces compression stres [#permalink]
Kudos
rohitgoel15 wrote:
A new gardening rake with an S-shaped handle reduces compression stress on the spine during the pull stroke to about one-fifth of what it is with a straight-handled rake. During the push stroke, however, compression stress is five times more with the new rake than with a straight-handled rake. Neither the push stroke nor the pull stroke with a straight-handled rake produces enough compression stress to cause injury, but compression stress during the push stroke with the new rake is above the danger level. Therefore, straight-handled rakes are better than the new rakes for minimizing risk of spinal injury.
The conclusion above is properly drawn from the premises given if which one of the following is true?
(A) Compression stress resulting from pushing is the only cause of injuries to the spine that occurs as a result of raking.
(B) Raking is a frequent cause of spinal injury among gardeners.
(C) The redesign of a tool rarely results in a net gain of efficiency, since gains tend to be counterbalanced by losses.
(D) A garden rake can never be used in such a way that all the strokes with that rake are push strokes.
(E) It is not possible to design a garden rake with a handle that is other than straight or S-shaped.

I Picked A,

but on second thought i am quite inclined to E.
if new rakes with another shape is able to reduce compression stress and seldom creates spinal injusry, this argument will be flawed.
And option E clearly defends this possiblity.

Can someone please explain where iam going wrong? Is it way too out of scope?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: A new gardening rake with an S-shaped handle reduces compression stres [#permalink]
ramana wrote:
I Picked A,

but on second thought i am quite inclined to E.
if new rakes with another shape is able to reduce compression stress and seldom creates spinal injusry, this argument will be flawed.
And option E clearly defends this possiblity.

Can someone please explain where iam going wrong? Is it way too out of scope?

Thanks

E is incorrect because the argument only concern that the SR better than NR, it doesn't matter if there is a better one out there, it only compare between the 2 types of rakes.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I liked A but I am inclined towards E too.

(E) It is not possible to design a garden rake with a handle that is other than straight or S-shaped --> Since no other designs are possible and since S-shaped rake has negative features, the only rake left to be used is straight rake. thereby provide support for the conlclusion.

Can someone explain why E is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
seekmba wrote:
I liked A but I am inclined towards E too.

(E) It is not possible to design a garden rake with a handle that is other than straight or S-shaped --> Since no other designs are possible and since S-shaped rake has negative features, the only rake left to be used is straight rake. thereby provide support for the conlclusion.

Can someone explain why E is incorrect?

E is incorrect, because in the Arguments, S Shaped Rake has negative, but it was not sure whether that negative linked with Spinal injury. So even if there are only 2 types of Rakes, we can't be sure whether Straight Rakes is better than S Shaped Rake for MINIMIZE spinal injury

It is like saying Yao Minh is not as quick compare to Steve Nash and then to conclude therefore Steve Nash is better than Yao Minh at Dunking.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Product management/entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
GMAT 2: 700  Q48  V38
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Send PM
not good , I fell for E, had it narrowed to A and E :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q48  V36
Send PM
I Choose E as well.

Basically the last line of the argument

Therefore, straight-handled rakes are better than the new rakes for minimizing risk of spinal injury.

new rakes - New rakes does not definately means the S shaped rake. So went for E to rule out other shapes.

What say you ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
KissGMAT wrote:
I Choose E as well.

Basically the last line of the argument

Therefore, straight-handled rakes are better than the new rakes for minimizing risk of spinal injury.

new rakes - New rakes does not definately means the S shaped rake. So went for E to rule out other shapes.

What say you ?

New rake is S-shaped, refer to line one. And this is what talked about.
Ans is A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 425
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
rohitgoel15 wrote:
A new gardening rake with an S-shaped handle reduces compression stress on the spine during the pull stroke to about one-fifth of what it is with a straight-handled rake. During the push stroke, however, compression stress is five times more with the new rake than with a straight-handled rake. Neither the push stroke nor the pull stroke with a straight-handled rake produces enough compression stress to cause injury, but compression stress during the push stroke with the new rake is above the danger level. Therefore, straight-handled rakes are better than the new rakes for minimizing risk of spinal injury.

The conclusion above is properly drawn from the premises given if which one of the following is true?

(A) Compression stress resulting from pushing is the only cause of injuries to the spine that occurs as a result of raking.

(B) Raking is a frequent cause of spinal injury among gardeners.

(C) The redesign of a tool rarely results in a net gain of efficiency, since gains tend to be counterbalanced by losses.

(D) A garden rake can never be used in such a way that all the strokes with that rake are push strokes.

(E) It is not possible to design a garden rake with a handle that is other than straight or S-shaped.

Conclusion: Therefore, straight-handled rakes are better than the new rakes for minimizing risk of spinal injury.

Main fight is between A and E.
Let's negate A:

Compression stress resulting from pushing is NOT the only cause of injuries to the spine that occurs as a result of raking.
If this is the case, then we can't say that straight one is better as there could be other causes for injury which would be dominant with Old handle than the new Handle.

Let's negate E:
It is possible to design a garden rake with a handle that is other than straight or S-shaped.
if we consider this, then this anyway doesn't help us to decide whether staright handles are better or not.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Hi there, Can you post the OA? I am not sure why A is the answer. Thanks,
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts