Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Strategy to start preparing for GMAT from scratch. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi PiyushSukhdeve,

It sounds like you're just starting out. Is that true? Have you done any studying so far?

If you're just beginning, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a bit of studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic concepts and questions types that are tested, then that's fine, but you shouldn't wait too long to take that first CAT. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) Do you know which Schools you plan to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you Rich for replying.
1) I have a 700+ in mind.
2) I want to apply in top Indian Institutes like ISB, IIM-A/B/C.
3) The major reason that i am not considering foreign institute is the overall cost of study. (As its not sure how much financial aid i can get even if i get into like top 25MBA colleges)
4) Another doubt i have in mind is if i should quit my job and prepare for GMAT or keep preparing along with it. I am employed in a power plant as an Operation Engg with 9hrs shift duty cycle; 9days a week!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi PiyushSukhdeve,

You've clearly defined your goals, and you've given yourself plenty of time to study, which is good.

Your first CAT score is important, since it will give us a sense of your initial strengths and weaknesses. Based on those results, we can talk through the various study options.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
PiyushSukhdeve wrote:
I wish to give GMAT next year March or April. I am totally new to GMAT exam type (I have given CAT).
I need to start my prep for GMAT.
Should i check my current status through practise GMAT test or should i go for preps through books from day 1?
Please suggest.

Hey PiyushSukhdeve

Here is a customized 2-3 month study plan to help you get started: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

Use this as a guideline. You don’t have to follow it exactly but the structure of the study plan should be the same structure that you take in your approach. This helps to optimize your retention and learning.

As you study, we recommend that you focus on one particular subsection for multiple consecutive days before moving onto the next. You can see this in our study plan where we recommend 5 days on nothing but SC -- before moving onto CR and then RC.

Here is a sample SC video to help you start your journey: https://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... ythons.mp4

Best of luck- we are here to help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM