GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 22:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p = (2^k)(3^l) + 1

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2012
Posts: 275
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p = (2^k)(3^l) + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2014, 07:36
2
1
18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (01:00) correct 69% (00:47) wrong based on 472 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that \(p =(2^k)(3^l)+1\), where k and l are non-negative integers. If r is an integer, is r a Pierpont prime?

(1) 1 < r < 5
(2) 0 < r < 4
Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Final Lap
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 258
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Re: A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p = (2^k)(3^l) + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2014, 07:55
6
3
guerrero25 wrote:
A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p =(2^k)(3^l)+1
, where k and l are non-negative integers. If r is an integer, is r a Pierpont prime?

A) 1 < r < 5
B)0 < r < 4


I do not have OA with me right now .


Hi,

A) 1<r<5
Since r is an integer , then the possible values that can take r are : 2,3 and 4.
r is a Pierpont prime if r = (2^k)(3^l)+1
r=2 --> r is a Pierpont prime since 2 is prime and 2 can be written as : 2 = (2^0)(3^0) + 1
r=3 --> r is a Pierpont prime since 3 is prime and 3 can be written as : 3 = (2^1)(3^0) + 1
r=4 --> r is NOT a Pierpont prime since 4 is not prime.
Hence, This statement alone is Insufficient

B) 0<r<4
Since r is an integer, then the possible values that can take r are : 1,2 and 3
AS seen in Statement 1 , 2 and 3 are Pierpont prime but 1 is not prime , hence this statement is insufficent itself

A+B)
Now, Statements combined, we should have : 1<r<4 that give r the only two possible values : 2 and 3 and both of them are Pierpont prime as seen before

Hence , the answer is Yes .
Answer : C
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 3
Re: A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p = (2^k)(3^l) + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2014, 00:53
1
Rock750 wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p =(2^k)(3^l)+1
, where k and l are non-negative integers. If r is an integer, is r a Pierpont prime?

A) 1 < r < 5
B)0 < r < 4


I do not have OA with me right now .


Hi,

A) 1<r<5
Since r is an integer , then the possible values that can take r are : 2,3 and 4.
r is a Pierpont prime if r = (2^k)(3^l)+1
r=2 --> r is a Pierpont prime since 2 is prime and 2 can be written as : 2 = (2^0)(3^0) + 1
r=3 --> r is a Pierpont prime since 3 is prime and 3 can be written as : 3 = (2^1)(3^0) + 1
r=4 --> r is NOT a Pierpont prime since 4 is not prime.
Hence, This statement alone is Insufficient

B) 0<r<4
Since r is an integer, then the possible values that can take r are : 1,2 and 3
AS seen in Statement 1 , 2 and 3 are Pierpont prime but 1 is not prime , hence this statement is insufficent itself

A+B)
Now, Statements combined, we should have : 1<r<4 that give r the only two possible values : 2 and 3 and both of them are Pierpont prime as seen before

Hence , the answer is Yes .
Answer : C




Hi,

Can anyone explain, how can we have 1 as a solution using statement 2, since 2^0 X 3^0 + 1 = 2, so we can never reach 1. So only options left are 2 & 3 so ans should be statement B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Posts: 387
Re: A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p = (2^k)(3^l) + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2014, 12:32
PuneetSood wrote:
Rock750 wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p =(2^k)(3^l)+1
, where k and l are non-negative integers. If r is an integer, is r a Pierpont prime?

A) 1 < r < 5
B)0 < r < 4


I do not have OA with me right now .


Hi,

A) 1<r<5
Since r is an integer , then the possible values that can take r are : 2,3 and 4.
r is a Pierpont prime if r = (2^k)(3^l)+1
r=2 --> r is a Pierpont prime since 2 is prime and 2 can be written as : 2 = (2^0)(3^0) + 1
r=3 --> r is a Pierpont prime since 3 is prime and 3 can be written as : 3 = (2^1)(3^0) + 1
r=4 --> r is NOT a Pierpont prime since 4 is not prime.
Hence, This statement alone is Insufficient

B) 0<r<4
Since r is an integer, then the possible values that can take r are : 1,2 and 3
AS seen in Statement 1 , 2 and 3 are Pierpont prime but 1 is not prime , hence this statement is insufficent itself

A+B)
Now, Statements combined, we should have : 1<r<4 that give r the only two possible values : 2 and 3 and both of them are Pierpont prime as seen before

Hence , the answer is Yes .
Answer : C




Hi,

Can anyone explain, how can we have 1 as a solution using statement 2, since 2^0 X 3^0 + 1 = 2, so we can never reach 1. So only options left are 2 & 3 so ans should be statement B.

As I see it, the only possibilities are:
2,3,4,5
So the correct answer is A.
Can anyone confirm this?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4667
Re: A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p = (2^k)(3^l) + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2014, 15:55
1
PuneetSood wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone explain, how can we have 1 as a solution using statement 2, since 2^0 X 3^0 + 1 = 2, so we can never reach 1. So only options left are 2 & 3 so ans should be statement B.

Dear PuneetSood,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

We CAN'T reach 1. That's the point. For any value of r, if r is prime and we can reach it using that formula, it's a Pierpont prime. But if r = 1, which is allowed by Statement #2, then we can't reach that form, and it's not prime anyway, so we get an answer of "no."
If r = 1, is r a Pierpont prime? No. By convention, 1 is not a prime number at all.
If r = 2, is r a Pierpont prime? Yes
If r = 3, is r a Pierpont prime? Yes
See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-math- ... me-number/

Keep in mind the exact logical arrangement. We are not guaranteed that the r we pick will be a Pierpont prime. Instead, we are going to pick any possible r's in that range, and for each one, ask the question, "Is it a Pierpont prime?"

Does this make sense?

ronr34 wrote:
As I see it, the only possibilities are:
2,3,4,5
So the correct answer is A.
Can anyone confirm this?

For statement #1, 1 < r < 5, the possible values of r are {2, 3, 4}. The value r = 5 is not a possibility. For these three values, we are asking the question: if r is this value, is it a Pierpoint prime?
If r = 2, is r a Pierpont prime? Yes
If r = 3, is r a Pierpont prime? Yes
If r = 4, is r a Pierpont prime? NO! It's not a prime number at all.

In order to be a Pierpoint prime, a number must
(a) be a prime number, and
(b) satisfy that equation.

There are plenty of non-prime numbers that satisfy that equation --- for starters, every power of 3 plus 1 (4, 10, 28, 82, 244, etc). If a number isn't prime, it can't be a Pierpont prime.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 May 2015
Posts: 99
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V44
Re: A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p = (2^k)(3^l) + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 16:24
I had the same problem as PuneetSood

mikemcgarry, if 1 is prime or not is not the question here. The part I did not understood was: How can (2^k)(3^l) be 0?

Since 2^0 = 1 and 3^0 = 1, I dont see how we can get to 1+1=1. Not being able to get to 1 would make B the right answer!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4667
Re: A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p = (2^k)(3^l) + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 22:24
1
1
Mascarfi wrote:
I had the same problem as PuneetSood

mikemcgarry, if 1 is prime or not is not the question here. The part I did not understood was: How can (2^k)(3^l) be 0?

Since 2^0 = 1 and 3^0 = 1, I dont see how we can get to 1+1=1. Not being able to get to 1 would make B the right answer!

Dear Mascarfi,
I'm happy to respond. :-) As I stated above, in order to be a Pierpont prime, an integer must satisfy two conditions:
1) it must be prime
2) it must satisfy the formula.

You are perfectly correct that r = 1 does not satisfy the formula. There is absolutely no way to get it from the formula. I was focusing on the fact that 1 is not prime because that should be immediate. You should know without a moment's reflection that 1 absolutely is not a prime number, and therefore it cannot possibly be a Pierpont prime. You see, even checking whether you can generate it with the formula is more work that you should be doing. You should immediately recognize that 1 is not prime, and that should obviate any calculations. If you have to do even a single calculation, you have done too much to determine that 1 cannot possibly be a Pierpont prime.

The fact that 1 cannot possibly be a Pierpont prime does NOT make Statement #2 sufficient by itself. You see, Statement #2 allows for three values.
r = 1 ---> Is it a Pierpont prime? NO! It's not a prime at all. (Also, we can't get it from the formula)
r = 2 ---> Is it a Pierpont prime? Yes.
r = 3 ---> Is it a Pierpont prime? Yes.
Different values of r give us different answers to the prompt, so Statement #2, alone and by itself, is not sufficient.

We need to combine the statements so that only Pierpont primes, 2 and 3, are possible values of r.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49231
Re: A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p = (2^k)(3^l) + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 22:45
guerrero25 wrote:
A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p =(2^k)(3^l)+1, where k and l are non-negative integers. If r is an integer, is r a Pierpont prime?

(1) 1 < r < 5
(2) 0 < r < 4


Check other Special Numbers and Sequences questions in our Special Questions Directory.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jul 2017
Posts: 48
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p = (2^k)(3^l) + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 21:26
Hi mikemcgarry,

Although I got the point of the question, I just have a small query that while solving the question I assumed that any number of the form given in the question is a Pierpont prime and not taking into consideration that the number should also be a prime number. How can we avoid such mistakes happening in future?

Thanks in advance
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4667
Re: A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p = (2^k)(3^l) + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 17:36
1
devanshu92 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

Although I got the point of the question, I just have a small query that while solving the question I assumed that any number of the form given in the question is a Pierpont prime and not taking into consideration that the number should also be a prime number. How can we avoid such mistakes happening in future?

Thanks in advance

Dear devanshu92,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here is the first sentence.
A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that \(p=(2^k)(3^l)+1\) , where k and l are non-negative integers.

This states quite clearly that a Pierpont prime must be a prime number, not just any number that satisfies the formula.

I have two responses to your question:
1) If a GMAT Quant prompt presents words and a formula, you NEVER can skip the words and jump to the formula. You have to read every word in the prompt with the same precise attention you give each number and formula. The exact wording in Quant prompts is crucial.
2) If you read that sentence and didn't understand its implications, it may be that you need to raise your reading level to excel on GMAT Quant. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jul 2017
Posts: 48
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p = (2^k)(3^l) + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 03:01
mikemcgarry wrote:
devanshu92 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

Although I got the point of the question, I just have a small query that while solving the question I assumed that any number of the form given in the question is a Pierpont prime and not taking into consideration that the number should also be a prime number. How can we avoid such mistakes happening in future?

Thanks in advance

Dear devanshu92,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here is the first sentence.
A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that \(p=(2^k)(3^l)+1\) , where k and l are non-negative integers.

This states quite clearly that a Pierpont prime must be a prime number, not just any number that satisfies the formula.

I have two responses to your question:
1) If a GMAT Quant prompt presents words and a formula, you NEVER can skip the words and jump to the formula. You have to read every word in the prompt with the same precise attention you give each number and formula. The exact wording in Quant prompts is crucial.
2) If you read that sentence and didn't understand its implications, it may be that you need to raise your reading level to excel on GMAT Quant. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)



Thanks Mike. It perfectly makes sense. :-)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 12411
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p = (2^k)(3^l) + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 13:44
Hi All,

We're told that a Pierpont prime is any PRIME number p such that p = (2^K)(3^L)+1, where K and L are non-negative integers. We're told that R is an INTEGER. We're asked if R a Pierpont prime. This is a YES/NO question.

1) 1 < R < 5

From this Fact, R is limited to only 3 possibilities: 2, 3 and 4. We have to check to see if they fit the definition of a Pierpont prime...

IF...
R = 2, then K = 0 and L = 0 would give us R = (1)(1) + 1 = 2, so R IS a Pierpont Prime and the answer to the question is YES.

R = 3, then K = 1 and L = 0 would give us R = (2)(1) + 1 = 3, so R IS a Pierpont Prime and the answer to the question is YES.

R = 4, then the answer to the question is NO (since 4 is NOT a prime number)
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT

2) 0 < R < 4

This Fact also limits R to only 3 possibilities: 1, 2 and 3. Our prior work (in Fact 1, above) will be useful here...

IF....
R = 1, then the answer to the question is NO (since 1 is NOT a prime number)

R = 2 or R = 3, then the answer to the question is YES (the work above proves this).
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT

Combined, we know...
1 < R < 5
0 < R < 4

R can ONLY be 2 or 3. Since both of those numbers lead to the same "YES" answer, the answer to the question is ALWAYS YES.
Combined, SUFFICIENT

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p = (2^k)(3^l) + 1 &nbs [#permalink] 12 Feb 2018, 13:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A Pierpont prime is any prime number p such that p = (2^k)(3^l) + 1

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.