It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 13:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A question for SC experts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

A question for SC experts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 23:25
Hi,

I need some help in understanding the usage of "which". Though which is used to refer to the nearest noun or a not so far away noun. I want to know in this sentence can which refer to English kingdom since it is the nearest noun or will it only refer to scandivian assault and danish conquest? Please share your insights.

The Scandinavian assault on western Europe culminated in the early eleventh century with the Danish conquest of the English Kingdom,which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat,unsuccessfully,later in the same century.

Thanks

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 885 [0], given: 54

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A question for SC experts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 02:30
lonepassenger wrote:
Hi,

I need some help in understanding the usage of "which". Though which is used to refer to the nearest noun or a not so far away noun. I want to know in this sentence can which refer to English kingdom since it is the nearest noun or will it only refer to scandivian assault and danish conquest? Please share your insights.

The Scandinavian assault on western Europe culminated in the early eleventh century with the Danish conquest of the English Kingdom,which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat,unsuccessfully,later in the same century.

Thanks

I think "which" in this sentence refers to "English Kingdom", or in some case "which" could refer to "the Danish conquest of the English Kingdom". I'm sure that "which" will never refer to "The Scandinavian assault" because this noun is too far away from "which".

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 885 [0], given: 54

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 03:40
Hi,

Thanks

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 21:38
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
The Scandinavian assault on western Europe culminated in the early eleventh century with the Danish conquest of the English Kingdom, which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat, unsuccessfully, later in the same century.

I think this is a case that blurs the line between the strict application of a rule and the question of what actually makes the most sense.

Technically, yes, the noun preceding "which" is "English Kingdom," but the English Kingdom is probably not something other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat.

A much more logical interpretation of the sentence is that the Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat the Danish conquest of the English kingdom. "Conquest" indicates an action, which can be repeated. In contrast, "English Kingdom" can only refer to a place, which cannot really be repeated.

If the sentence is understood this way, then "English Kingdom" is merely part of the longer noun phrase "conquest of the English kingdom."

The literal antecedent is of "which" is "Danish conquest," but the complete antecedent is "Danish conquest of the English kingdom."

So even though "which" is technically separated from the antecedent "Danish conquest," in practice, the entire noun phrase acts as the antecedent.

The literal separation of "Danish conquest" and "which" is acceptable because from a logical standpoint, there really isn't any ambiguity.

Hope that helps.

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Kudos [?]: 87 [1], given: 35

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 06:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
A much more logical interpretation of the sentence is that the Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat the Danish conquest of the English kingdom. "Conquest" indicates an action, which can be repeated. In contrast, "English Kingdom" can only refer to a place, which cannot really be repeated.

Well said by thecriticalreader1... logically, it makes sense that the adjective clause introduced by “which” is trying to modify “conquest”; however, because of its placement, the clause seems to modify “kingdom”. The same issue occurs in this sentence: “Pinot Noir can be made from grapes from California and Oregon, which are harvested in the fall.” What is harvested in the fall? Obviously the grapes, not “California and Oregon”; however, the placement of the clause creates ambiguity, and the GMAT would not like that sentence! The sentence in the original post would be incorrect for the same reason.

Make sure to post future sentence correction questions to the SC subforum and include the answer choices and OA, as per the Verbal Forum rules.

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Kudos [?]: 87 [1], given: 35

Re: A question for SC experts   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2017, 06:43

A question for SC experts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap