Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 00:50 It is currently 08 May 2024, 00:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16940 [13]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1323 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: Other Schools
GPA: 2.88
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16940 [2]
Send PM
Re: A rectangular field of dimension 100 m x 80 m is to be covered by [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

Solution

Given:
    • A rectangular field of dimension 100 m x 80 m is to be covered by artificial grass
    • Cost of implementing artificial grass is at least $1 per sq. m.

To find:
    • Whether the total cost incurred to put grass only in the field will be more than $7100

Analysing Statement 1
    • As per the information given in statement 1, there are two restricted paths in the field – of uniform width 5 m – which spread along the centre of the field, and parallel to the length and breadth of the field respectively

• As the paths are parallel to the edges, the dimensions of the parks are 100 m x 5 m and 80 m x 5 m
      o We can find the area covered by both the paths

• Also, total area of the field including the paths = 100 x 80 sq. m
    • Therefore, we can find the area where artificial grass to be put
      o As the cost per sq. m is given, we can find out the total cost, and hence, can conclude whether the total cost is more than $7100 or not

Hence, statement 1 is sufficient to answer

Analysing Statement 2
    • As per the information given in statement 2, the cost of putting grass in 25% of the total field is not more than $1800
      o It means to cover 100%, the cost will be less than $7200

• But, from this we can’t say whether the cost is more than $7100 or not

Hence, statement 2 is not sufficient to answer

Hence, the correct answer is option A.

Answer: A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
Re: A rectangular field of dimension 100 m x 80 m is to be covered by [#permalink]
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Analysing Statement 2
    • As per the information given in statement 2, the cost of putting grass in 25% of the total field is not more than $1800
      o It means to cover 100%, the cost will be less than $7200

I have a query - in this case here the cost of covering 25% of the field with grass is less than $1 per square meter, which contradicts what is given in the question, that the cost per square meter must be at least $1. In the actual GMAT test, could the statement contradict the question that way?

Additionally, in a real GMAT test, can we really make the assumption that the cost of covering the remaining 75% of the total field would be the same (per square meter) as covering 25% of the field? People can always argue that because $1800 for 25% of the field is less than the minimum as required by the question itself, that it in and of itself is a special case and the remaining 75% of the field should follow the question's at least $1 per square meter requirement.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16940 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Azedenkae wrote:

I have a query - in this case here the cost of covering 25% of the field with grass is less than $1 per square meter, which contradicts what is given in the question, that the cost per square meter must be at least $1. In the actual GMAT test, could the statement contradict the question that way?

Additionally, in a real GMAT test, can we really make the assumption that the cost of covering the remaining 75% of the total field would be the same (per square meter) as covering 25% of the field? People can always argue that because $1800 for 25% of the field is less than the minimum as required by the question itself, that it in and of itself is a special case and the remaining 75% of the field should follow the question's at least $1 per square meter requirement.

Hey Azedenkae,
The second part of your query actually answers the first question - the other 75% can actually change the cost.
From the statement "The cost of putting grass in 25% of the total field is not more than $1800", when we are saying that the total cost would be not more than $7200, we are taking one possible case into account. As the possible case itself is not giving us unique solution, we can say statement 2 is not sufficient to answer, without checking the other possibilities.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Hey Azedenkae,
The second part of your query actually answers the first question - the other 75% can actually change the cost.
From the statement "The cost of putting grass in 25% of the total field is not more than $1800", when we are saying that the total cost would be not more than $7200, we are taking one possible case into account. As the possible case itself is not giving us unique solution, we can say statement 2 is not sufficient to answer, without checking the other possibilities.

The part that I still want to figure out the logic behind is still how 'It means to cover 100%, the cost will be less than $7200' could be deduced from 'As per the information given in statement 2, the cost of putting grass in 25% of the total field is not more than $1800'. I understand the whole point is that it is not giving us a unique solution, but why specifically did we manage to get 'the cost will be less than $7200' out of that statement? Why 'will', implying we don't have any other possible outcome from that statement, as you suggested? Am I just being pedantic?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16940 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Azedenkae wrote:

The part that I still want to figure out the logic behind is still how 'It means to cover 100%, the cost will be less than $7200' could be deduced from 'As per the information given in statement 2, the cost of putting grass in 25% of the total field is not more than $1800'. I understand the whole point is that it is not giving us a unique solution, but why specifically did we manage to get 'the cost will be less than $7200' out of that statement? Why 'will', implying we don't have any other possible outcome from that statement, as you suggested? Am I just being pedantic?

As mentioned, this is one of the possible cases when the cost of putting grass remains uniform. And there are other cases, which is not considered as the statement is unable to provide unique answer in this case, and hence, becomes insufficient.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 827 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93086 posts