GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 May 2019, 12:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A score of 440 in third mock test. How to study

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
A score of 440 in third mock test. How to study  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 21:27
Hi Guys,
I have my gmat scheduled in the next week and I am very stressed. I gave my first mgmat in april that too without much studying and with poor time management with 10 questions missed in both sections and got a sccore of 580. Honestly I was quite happy as I was not even expecting this score after having missed quite a few questions. Then after some studying, I gave my first gmat prep test from exam pack 1 and scored a meagre 540. This did not discourage me as I knew that I did not study that well but left me wondering how did I score 580 in the very first attempt. As time progressed, I started studying and studied in full throttle since the start of June. I completed all mgmat strategy guides, egmat verbal course, OG questions, and exam pack 1 of 404 questions. I was doing mistakes but analyzing them as well. My accuracy ranged from 50-70% in quant and 60-80% in verbal. I then practised from quant review and verbal review. Then I retook the first gmat prep test and to my horror got a score of 440. This left me devastated as I have been devoting all my weekends to studying and managing as much as I can on weekdays. THis was straight 100 points lesser than the first attempt of gmat prep test. Generally the scores improve with continuous studying and analyzing mistakes but in my case it is going the opposite from 580 to 540 to 440.

One of my major problems in time management as I get panicked seeing the clock and I go blank at times even after is having done timed practice. As I said that I have my gmat in the coming week, I do not know what to do. I cannot even reschedule my test date to 2 months later as I need to submit scores for SPJIMR PGPM programme by August 15.

I seriously do not know where am I going wrong. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Manager
Manager
P
GPA: 3.57
Reviews Badge
Re: A score of 440 in third mock test. How to study  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 01:30
prathi123 wrote:
Hi Guys,
I have my gmat scheduled in the next week and I am very stressed. I gave my first mgmat in april that too without much studying and with poor time management with 10 questions missed in both sections and got a sccore of 580. Honestly I was quite happy as I was not even expecting this score after having missed quite a few questions. Then after some studying, I gave my first gmat prep test from exam pack 1 and scored a meagre 540. This did not discourage me as I knew that I did not study that well but left me wondering how did I score 580 in the very first attempt. As time progressed, I started studying and studied in full throttle since the start of June. I completed all mgmat strategy guides, egmat verbal course, OG questions, and exam pack 1 of 404 questions. I was doing mistakes but analyzing them as well. My accuracy ranged from 50-70% in quant and 60-80% in verbal. I then practised from quant review and verbal review. Then I retook the first gmat prep test and to my horror got a score of 440. This left me devastated as I have been devoting all my weekends to studying and managing as much as I can on weekdays. THis was straight 100 points lesser than the first attempt of gmat prep test. Generally the scores improve with continuous studying and analyzing mistakes but in my case it is going the opposite from 580 to 540 to 440.

One of my major problems in time management as I get panicked seeing the clock and I go blank at times even after is having done timed practice. As I said that I have my gmat in the coming week, I do not know what to do. I cannot even reschedule my test date to 2 months later as I need to submit scores for SPJIMR PGPM programme by August 15.

I seriously do not know where am I going wrong. PLEASE HELP!!!!

The bad thing is also the good thing. Its just practice GMAT. You have gotten to 580 before and you can do it again and if GMAT tells you anything, its reasoning and logic. Logic and sound reasoning tells you not to give in to human bias of fear and wasting time because of it. You may think you can score poorly but then again, you will only waste more time thinking so. Install practice apps if you have a smartphone and start practicing free questions on your phone when you're free and read more of the basics again. Start with the most compact resource of GMAT Club math book, downloadable at https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-bo ... 30609.html and start studying. Do not start long courses or topics as you will run out of time before you gain anything substantial out of those.
Spend more time on questions rated below 700 and practice a lot over the coming days. This will improve your speed and mind maths so you make less mistakes. In GMAT prep, many students suffer from the same dip but the greater rewards are on the other side, if only you have the patience and the determination. Wish you the best of luck!
Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
A score of 440 in third mock test. How to study  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 02:31
Hey,

There is no use of panicking with little time left for the exam.
In my experience, the battle is already lost if you do not believe in your head, that it can be won.
Don't take stress with regards to time, but try and limit yourself to around 2 minutes to solve a question.
Stretch to about 3 minutes only if you believe it can be solved in another minute.
If you realize that you are not going anywhere, just go ahead and make an educated guess.

Also, try and analyze which topics have caused the score drop.
If it is a specific topic that has caused this drop, revisit the concepts
and then give the exam another go.
Do not try any new tests/questions around 3 days before your test.
Go through your error log and give the GMAT your best shot.

Also, if there is another round where SPJIMR will accept your application,
it would make more sense to work on the GMAT, get the best possible score
and then apply.

Hope this helps!
A score of 440 in third mock test. How to study   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2017, 02:31

A score of 440 in third mock test. How to study

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: adkikani

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap