GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 18:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A set P = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and set Q = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7}

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2010
Posts: 24
A set P = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and set Q = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7}  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2011, 11:31
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (238:33) correct 25% (00:59) wrong based on 27 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Q) A set P = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and set Q = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7} is defined with given numbers. Now one number is chosen randomly from each of the given set in such a way that the absolute difference between the two numbers is 2. What is the probability that one of the number chosen is 3?


Answer:
1/2
(Sorry I don't have the answer choices for the question above.)
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49430
Re: A set P = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and set Q = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7}  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2011, 11:48
3
1
MichelleSavina wrote:
Q) A set P = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and set Q = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7} is defined with given numbers. Now one number is chosen randomly from each of the given set in such a way that the absolute difference between the two numbers is 2. What is the probability that one of the number chosen is 3?


Answer:- 1/2
(Sorry I don't have the answer choices for the question above.)


Probability=# of favorable outcomes/total # of outcomes;

There are total of 8 (p,q) pairs possible so that the absolute difference between the two numbers to be 2: (1, 3), (2, 4), (3, 5), (3, 1), (4, 6), (4, 2), (5, 7), (5, 3) (first # is chosen from set P and second # is chosen from set Q). 4 pairs contain the number 3 in it, so P=4/8=1/2.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 12 Feb 2015
Posts: 56
Location: India
GPA: 3.84
Re: A set P = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and set Q = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7}  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2016, 21:03
Bunuel wrote:
MichelleSavina wrote:
Q) A set P = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and set Q = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7} is defined with given numbers. Now one number is chosen randomly from each of the given set in such a way that the absolute difference between the two numbers is 2. What is the probability that one of the number chosen is 3?


Answer:- 1/2
(Sorry I don't have the answer choices for the question above.)


Probability=# of favorable outcomes/total # of outcomes;

There are total of 8 (p,q) pairs possible so that the absolute difference between the two numbers to be 2: (1, 3), (2, 4), (3, 5), (3, 1), (4, 6), (4, 2), (5, 7), (5, 3) (first # is chosen from set P and second # is chosen from set Q). 4 pairs contain the number 3 in it, so P=4/8=1/2.



Why not (7,5) (6,4) are taken in total
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49430
Re: A set P = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and set Q = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7}  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2016, 01:10
himanshukamra2711 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
MichelleSavina wrote:
Q) A set P = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and set Q = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7} is defined with given numbers. Now one number is chosen randomly from each of the given set in such a way that the absolute difference between the two numbers is 2. What is the probability that one of the number chosen is 3?


Answer:- 1/2
(Sorry I don't have the answer choices for the question above.)


Probability=# of favorable outcomes/total # of outcomes;

There are total of 8 (p,q) pairs possible so that the absolute difference between the two numbers to be 2: (1, 3), (2, 4), (3, 5), (3, 1), (4, 6), (4, 2), (5, 7), (5, 3) (first # is chosen from set P and second # is chosen from set Q). 4 pairs contain the number 3 in it, so P=4/8=1/2.



Why not (7,5) (6,4) are taken in total


There is not 7 and there is no 6 in set P.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Posts: 13
Re: A set P = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and set Q = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7}  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 08:13
There are total of 8 (p,q) pairs possible so that the absolute difference between the two numbers to be 2: (1, 3), (2, 4), (3, 5), (3, 1), (4, 6), (4, 2), (5, 7), (5, 3) (first # is chosen from set P and second # is chosen from set Q). 4 pairs contain the number 3 in it, so P=4/8=1/2.[/quote]


Bunuel - according to my inference from the question we are not specifically told to select first no. from set P and the second no. from set Q. Why are we specifically following the order ?
Could u please explain as to how did u extrapolate that first should no. should be taken by Set P and second no. form Set Q
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49430
Re: A set P = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and set Q = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7}  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 08:17
gmatdemolisher1234 wrote:
There are total of 8 (p,q) pairs possible so that the absolute difference between the two numbers to be 2: (1, 3), (2, 4), (3, 5), (3, 1), (4, 6), (4, 2), (5, 7), (5, 3) (first # is chosen from set P and second # is chosen from set Q). 4 pairs contain the number 3 in it, so P=4/8=1/2.



Bunuel - according to my inference from the question we are not specifically told to select first no. from set P and the second no. from set Q. Why are we specifically following the order ?
Could u please explain as to how did u extrapolate that first should no. should be taken by Set P and second no. form Set Q[/quote]

It just means that when I list the possible pairs in each pair first # is from set P and second # is from set Q.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A set P = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and set Q = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7} &nbs [#permalink] 25 Sep 2017, 08:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A set P = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and set Q = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7}

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.