It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 03:28

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A simple truth about children is that if they feel loved and protected

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [2], given: 9

Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
A simple truth about children is that if they feel loved and protected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2013, 01:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (00:50) correct 40% (00:49) wrong based on 329 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A simple truth about children is that if they feel loved and protected, they would generally behave well.

A) if they feel loved and protected, they would generally behave well
B) if they feel loved and protected, their behavior will be generally good.
C) they generally behave well if they feel loved and protected
D) if they loved and protected, they would generally behave well
E) they will generally be well-behaved if they feel loved and protected

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA : (C)

Please provide explanation if you agree with OA, as i don't seem to grasp the explanation given by gmat tutor.
Thanks!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - Gandhi

Kudos [?]: 20 [2], given: 9

5 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 998 [5], given: 321

GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A simple truth about children is that if they feel loved and protected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2013, 02:23
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A simple truth about children is that if they feel loved and protected, they would generally behave well.

A) if they feel loved and protected, they would generally behave well --the use would indicates that the author beliefs that children wouldn't behave well or its a hypothetical situation
B) if they feel loved and protected, their behavior will be generally good.---changes the meaning on the original sentence w/o any logical reason for doing so.
C) they generally behave well if they feel loved and protected-seems ok
D) if they loved and protected, they would generally behave well--no main verb
E) they will generally be well-behaved if they feel loved and protected

This is a IF......(then) construction
C says--> they behave well (present) if they feel loved & protected (present)--correct

E says --> they will be well-behaved (future) if they feel loved & protected (present) Future tense is not required

How to select your BSchool?
General Mistakes to Avoid on the GMAT
TOP 10 articles on Time Management on the GMAT
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum

Kudos [?]: 998 [5], given: 321

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A simple truth about children is that if they feel loved and protected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2013, 02:24
nick28 wrote:

A) if they feel loved and protected, they would generally behave wellas the underlined part is in present tense would is wrong
B) if they feel loved and protected, their behavior will be generally good.they will generally behave good -- would have been better here
C) they generally behave well if they feel loved and protectedCorrect usage of Present tense
D) if they loved and protected, they would generally behave wellwould is wrong here
E) they will generally be well-behaved if they feel loved and protected"will generally" and "they feel loved and protected" -- Future and present wrong usage they both should be parallel

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Please provide explanation if you agree with OA, as i don't seem to grasp the explanation given by gmat tutor.
Thanks!

As the underlined part is in Present tense, Would will not come as it is something about future in the past.

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 27

1 KUDOS received
Senior RC Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1600 [1], given: 281

GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2013, 02:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nick28 wrote:
Thanks!

Hi

Though there is no time difference between the both underlined things. since we are discussing with things that are true in present, so we use simple present at both place. Also it is ok to reverse the If, then construction. Here in C the reversed version is used.

"they generally behave well if they feel loved and protected"

Answer is C.

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Kudos [?]: 1600 [1], given: 281

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 998 [0], given: 321

GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2013, 02:32
abhinav11 wrote:
nick28 wrote:

A) if they feel loved and protected, they would generally behave wellas the underlined part is in present tense would is wrong
B) if they feel loved and protected, their behavior will be generally good.they will generally behave good -- would have been better here
C) they generally behave well if they feel loved and protectedCorrect usage of Present tense
D) if they loved and protected, they would generally behave wellwould is wrong here
E) they will generally be well-behaved if they feel loved and protected"will generally" and "they feel loved and protected" -- Future and present wrong usage they both should be parallel

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Thanks!

As the underlined part is in Present tense, Would will not come as it is something about future in the past.

Hi Abhinav, could you pls. elaborate your query, if you are still unclear.

How to select your BSchool?
General Mistakes to Avoid on the GMAT
TOP 10 articles on Time Management on the GMAT
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum

Kudos [?]: 998 [0], given: 321

1 KUDOS received
Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [1], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2015, 06:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [1], given: 0

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 08:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 40

GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 08:45
Hi, in general, is " that + if " construction correct ?

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 40

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 1261 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 13:01
It's hard to make general rules about such things. The word "that" has a number of uses as different parts of speech. In this case, it's acting as a conjunction that joins two clauses ("A simple truth about children is" and the underlined clause). In A, B, and D, this second clause happens to start with "if," and there's nothing wrong with starting a clause with if:

I believe that if our team goes to the playoffs, we will win.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 11:16
To be clear, this isn't a very good problem. B and E aren't as clearly wrong as they would be on an official SC problem. However, in B, "generally" is modifying how good their behavior is. We really want to modify how often they behave well, as all the other answers do.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: A simple truth about children is that if they feel loved and protected   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2017, 11:16

A simple truth about children is that if they feel loved and protected

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap