Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [128]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
 Q47  V28 GMAT 2: 570  Q40  V29
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618568 [51]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-08-2012
GPA: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [3]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: A “Sophie Germain” prime is any positive prime number p for [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
alchemist009 wrote:
A “Sophie Germain” prime is any positive prime number p for which 2p + 1 is also prime. The product of all the possible units digits of Sophie Germain primes greater than 5 is

A. 3
B. 7
C. 21
D. 27
E. 189

A prime number greater than 5 can have only the following four units digits: 1, 3, 7, or 9.

If the units digit of p is 1 then the units digit of 2p+1 would be 3, which is a possible units digit for a prime. For example consider p=11=prime --> 2p+1=23=prime;

If the units digit of p is 3 then the units digit of 2p+1 would be 7, which is a possible units digit for a prime. For example consider p=23=prime --> 2p+1=47=prime;

If the units digit of p is 7 then the units digit of 2p+1 would be 5, which is NOT a possible units digit for a prime;

If the units digit of p is 9 then the units digit of 2p+1 would be 9, which is a possible units digit for a prime. For example consider p=29=prime --> 2p+1=59=prime.

The product of all the possible units digits of Sophie Germain primes greater than 5 is 1*3*9=27.

Answer: D.

Hope it's clear.

Why 7 is not considered for the final answer?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618568 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kinjiGC wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
alchemist009 wrote:
A “Sophie Germain” prime is any positive prime number p for which 2p + 1 is also prime. The product of all the possible units digits of Sophie Germain primes greater than 5 is

A. 3
B. 7
C. 21
D. 27
E. 189

A prime number greater than 5 can have only the following four units digits: 1, 3, 7, or 9.

If the units digit of p is 1 then the units digit of 2p+1 would be 3, which is a possible units digit for a prime. For example consider p=11=prime --> 2p+1=23=prime;

If the units digit of p is 3 then the units digit of 2p+1 would be 7, which is a possible units digit for a prime. For example consider p=23=prime --> 2p+1=47=prime;

If the units digit of p is 7 then the units digit of 2p+1 would be 5, which is NOT a possible units digit for a prime;

If the units digit of p is 9 then the units digit of 2p+1 would be 9, which is a possible units digit for a prime. For example consider p=29=prime --> 2p+1=59=prime.

The product of all the possible units digits of Sophie Germain primes greater than 5 is 1*3*9=27.

Hope it's clear.

If the units digit of p is 7 then the units digit of 2p+1 would be 5, which is NOT a possible units digit for a prime greater than 5.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 3
B. 7
C. 21
D. 27
E. 189

Hope it's clear.

If the units digit of p is 7 then the units digit of 2p+1 would be 5, which is NOT a possible units digit for a prime greater than 5.

It might be simple, but I have a doubt here. The question asks product of all the possible unit digits of Sophie Germain primes.

As 47 is a sophie germain prime number and prime number and 47 is > than 5, so 7 being the unit digit should be included in the product to get the final answer. That is why I marked 189.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618568 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kinjiGC wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:

It might be simple, but I have a doubt here. The question asks product of all the possible unit digits of Sophie Germain primes.

As 47 is a sophie germain prime number and prime number and 47 is > than 5, so 7 being the unit digit should be included in the product to get the final answer. That is why I marked 189.

A “Sophie Germain” prime is any positive prime number p for which 2p + 1 is also prime. 47 is NOT a “Sophie Germain” prime because 2p+1=95, which is NOT a prime. Again, a “Sophie Germain” prime cannot have 7 as its units digit because the units digit of 2p+1 in this case would be 5. No prime greater than 5 has 5 as its units digit.

Hope it's clear.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Send PM
Thanks Banuel.

I read the premise wrongly. :cry:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
A “Sophie Germain” prime is any positive prime number p for [#permalink]
Kudos
I see - I misunderstood the question at first...

It's asking for all of the possible UNIQUE units digits, not all of the units digits of SG primes multiplied out.

For example, 11, 23, 29, 53... are primes. Unique units are only 1, 3, and 9, which multiply to 27.

If interpreted literally, it would go on forever (i.e. answer = infinite).

Knowing this and the answer choices, there's only one intended Q&A combo possible - unique units and not infinite.

I do think, however, that they should have worded it more clearly as it is ambiguous.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
VeritasKarishma Bunuel chetan2u egmat AjiteshArun

taking prime number as p=23 , its 2p+1 =47 and 47 is a prime number.

Then why are we not considering unit digit of 47 (i.e 7) here.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
warrior1991 wrote:

The question says:

A “Sophie Germain” prime is any positive prime number p for which 2p + 1 is also prime.

This means that it is 23 that is a Sophie Germain prime, not 47, because;

if p=23, 2p+1 is prime
but
if p=47, 2p+1 is not prime

Therefore, we won't consider 47 a Sophie Germain prime.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
warrior1991 wrote:

Only p is the Sophie Germain prime, not the corresponding 2p + 1.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9238 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
It's strange to ask for the "product of all the possible units digits" here, because then there's no reason to bother checking numbers with a units digit of "1" -- a product will be the same whether we include "1" or not. So you can save yourself a quarter of the work here and only check 3, 7 and 9, which was done perfectly in other solutions above.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1812 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
A “Sophie Germain” prime is any positive prime number p for [#permalink]
Here's my take.

Since the question talks about "Sophie Germain" Primes we have to check for same.
2, 3, 5, 11, 23, 29, 41, 53, 71, 83, 89 and so on are all "Sophie Germain" Primes. For these primes greater than 5 units digits are 1,3,9 which repeats, hence product is 1*3*9=27.

Answer (D)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Rule: the only Possible Units Digits that a Prime Number > 5 can have are the following: 1 - 3 - 7 - or 9

2p + 1 ALSO must = a Prime No.

Just using the Units Digits of the Possible Prime Numbers after applying 2p + 1:

Prime No. with a Units Digit of 1: the Units Digit = 2(......1) + 1 = ......2 + 2 = ......3

There must exist a Prime No. in the Infinite Amount of Primes that ends in a 1 and that is also a "Sophie Gemaine" Prime

(in fact 11 works: 2 * 11 + 1 = 23, another Prime Number)

Prime No. with a Units Digit of 3: the Units Digit = 2* (.....3) + 1 = ....6 + 1 = 7 Units Digit
There will be a Sophie-Germain Prime with a Units Digit of 3.

Prime No. with a Units Digit of 7: the Units Digit = 2 * (.....7) + 1 = .....4 + 1 = 5 Units Digit
The Number will be Divisible by 5, because the Units Digit will end in a 5. Thus, Any Primes > 5 that end in a Units Digit of 7 will never be a Sophie-Germain Prime

Prime No. with a Units Digit of 9: the Units Digit = 2 * (....9) + 1 = .....8 + 1 = 9 Units Diigt
There will be a Sophie-Germain Prime with a Units Digit of 9

The Product of all the Possible Units Digits = 1 * 3 * 9 = 27

Answer -D-
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Send PM
how do we know that there is no other sophie prime after 29? I mean there are infinitive prime numbers?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9238 [0]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
robinbjoern wrote:
how do we know that there is no other sophie prime after 29? I mean there are infinitive prime numbers?

Yes, there is an infinite number of prime numbers. And there are lots of Sophie Germain primes larger than 29 -- for example, 41 is another.

No one knows for sure if there are infinitely many Sophie Germain primes; that's a famous unsolved problem in mathematics. Mathematicians suspect there are infinitely many, because they aren't so rare that one would expect there to be a finite number of them, but no one has proved that yet.

Fortunately in this question, you don't need to establish how many Sophie Germain primes there are. The question only asks about their possible units digits, so you only need to consider the very finite set of possible units digits a number can have.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
robinbjoern wrote:

Yes, there is an infinite number of prime numbers. And there are lots of Sophie Germain primes larger than 29 -- for example, 41 is another.

No one knows for sure if there are infinitely many Sophie Germain primes; that's a famous unsolved problem in mathematics. Mathematicians suspect there are infinitely many, because they aren't so rare that one would expect there to be a finite number of them, but no one has proved that yet.

Fortunately in this question, you don't need to establish how many Sophie Germain primes there are. The question only asks about their possible units digits, so you only need to consider the very finite set of possible units digits a number can have.

actually the questions asks abou "The product of all the possible units digits of Sophie Germain primes greater than 5 is" and we can't know this for sure. The question should ask about "A possible product of the unit digits.."
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9238 [1]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
robinbjoern wrote:
actually the questions asks abou "The product of all the possible units digits of Sophie Germain primes greater than 5 is" and we can't know this for sure. The question should ask about "A possible product of the unit digits.."

I think you might be interpreting the question to mean something more like "what is the product of the units digits of all Sophie Germain primes greater than 5", and if the question asked that, it would be unanswerable -- no one even knows if there's a finite number of that type of prime. But the question asks something different; it asks for the product of the possible units digits of those primes. So we just need to consider each possible units digit from 0 through 9, work out if each is a possible units digit of a Sophie Germain prime, and multiply together those that we find are possible.

I do find it strange to ask for a product in this question though, as I mentioned in an earlier post.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: A Sophie Germain prime is any positive prime number p for [#permalink]
geno5 wrote:
+1 D

1*3*9=27, Rest of the Digits cannot be prime.

even cannot be prime. 5 not prime and (7)*2+1=15 not prime.

But when we take 23 , we get 47. Both are prime...so condition is satisfied...then how u can use the logic 7*2+1 = 5. ? I'm not getting it

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A Sophie Germain prime is any positive prime number p for [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92881 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts