GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisti

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 55670
A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 11:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:45) correct 42% (01:31) wrong based on 69 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 142
Location: India
Re: A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 11:47
1
A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisting of a president, a vice president, and 3 committee members. How many such councils are possible

Choosing 5 members from 12 = 12C5 = 12!/ (7! 5!)
Answer Option A is Correct.
_________________
GOOD LUCK!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2018
Posts: 21
Re: A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 12:30
UB001 wrote:
A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisting of a president, a vice president, and 3 committee members. How many such councils are possible

Choosing 5 members from 12 = 12C5 = 12!/ (7! 5!)
Answer Option A is Correct.


Wouldn't this need to be a permutation because of the different positions? That would be 12!/7!, but adjust for 3 positions being the same 12!/(7!3!). I'm not certain, but that is my initial thought.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 79
Location: India
Schools: Yale '19, GMBA '20, XLRI
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.8
A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 20:37
1
kanakdaga wrote:
nmccull wrote:
UB001 wrote:
A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisting of a president, a vice president, and 3 committee members. How many such councils are possible

Choosing 5 members from 12 = 12C5 = 12!/ (7! 5!)
Answer Option A is Correct.


Wouldn't this need to be a permutation because of the different positions? That would be 12!/7!, but adjust for 3 positions being the same 12!/(7!3!). I'm not certain, but that is my initial thought.

Posted from my mobile device


I think so too.
a permutation problem is one that is dependent on arrangement. That means : (a,b) is not equal to (b,a).
A combinations problem is one where (a,b) = (b,a).
Here, we are choosing 5 people out of 12.
But a person chosen for president will be a separate combination than to the person chosen as vice president. Thus, arrangement matters.
so its a permutations problem. thus 12P5
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2018
Posts: 21
A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 20:51
"I think so too.
a permutation problem is one that is dependent on arrangement. That means : (a,b) is not equal to (b,a).
A combinations problem is one where (a,b) = (b,a).
Here, we are choosing 5 people out of 12.
But a person chosen for president will be a separate combination than to the person chosen as vice president. Thus, arrangement matters.
so its a permutations problem. thus 12P5"

Yes I am pretty confident it is a permutation, but does it need to be adjusted for the fact that there are only 3 unique positions? 12p5 implies 5 unique positions for arrangement, but there are only 3 in this case (president, vice president, and council member).

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 79
Location: India
Schools: Yale '19, GMBA '20, XLRI
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.8
Re: A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 21:13
nmccull wrote:
"I think so too.
a permutation problem is one that is dependent on arrangement. That means : (a,b) is not equal to (b,a).
A combinations problem is one where (a,b) = (b,a).
Here, we are choosing 5 people out of 12.
But a person chosen for president will be a separate combination than to the person chosen as vice president. Thus, arrangement matters.
so its a permutations problem. thus 12P5"

Yes I am pretty confident it is a permutation, but does it need to be adjusted for the fact that there are only 3 unique positions? 12p5 implies 5 unique positions for arrangement, but there are only 3 in this case (president, vice president, and council member).

Posted from my mobile device


You mean that choosing the council members would be a combination while for the three positions it is a permutation ?
lets consider people : a , b, c ,d, e

a as president = 1 way

a as vice president = 1way

a,b,c as council members = 1 way
but a,b,c = b, c, a = c, a, b

thus 3 positions as permutation ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2018
Posts: 21
Re: A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 21:23
kanakdaga wrote:
nmccull wrote:
"I think so too.
a permutation problem is one that is dependent on arrangement. That means : (a,b) is not equal to (b,a).
A combinations problem is one where (a,b) = (b,a).
Here, we are choosing 5 people out of 12.
But a person chosen for president will be a separate combination than to the person chosen as vice president. Thus, arrangement matters.
so its a permutations problem. thus 12P5"

Yes I am pretty confident it is a permutation, but does it need to be adjusted for the fact that there are only 3 unique positions? 12p5 implies 5 unique positions for arrangement, but there are only 3 in this case (president, vice president, and council member).

Posted from my mobile device


You mean that choosing the council members would be a combination while for the three positions it is a permutation ?
lets consider people : a , b, c ,d, e

a as president = 1 way

a as vice president = 1way

a,b,c as council members = 1 way
but a,b,c = b, c, a = c, a, b

thus 3 positions as permutation ?


Yes, that is how I interpreted the scenario.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 79
Location: India
Schools: Yale '19, GMBA '20, XLRI
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.8
A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 21:51
nmccull wrote:
kanakdaga wrote:
nmccull wrote:
"I think so too.
a permutation problem is one that is dependent on arrangement. That means : (a,b) is not equal to (b,a).
A combinations problem is one where (a,b) = (b,a).
Here, we are choosing 5 people out of 12.
But a person chosen for president will be a separate combination than to the person chosen as vice president. Thus, arrangement matters.
so its a permutations problem. thus 12P5"

Yes I am pretty confident it is a permutation, but does it need to be adjusted for the fact that there are only 3 unique positions? 12p5 implies 5 unique positions for arrangement, but there are only 3 in this case (president, vice president, and council member).

Posted from my mobile device


You mean that choosing the council members would be a combination while for the three positions it is a permutation ?
lets consider people : a , b, c ,d, e

a as president = 1 way

a as vice president = 1way

a,b,c as council members = 1 way
but a,b,c = b, c, a = c, a, b

thus 3 positions as permutation ?


Yes, that is how I interpreted the scenario.


check this question out. https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-club-has-1 ... fl=similar
your reasoning sounds correct though.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Posts: 334
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 22:01
Bunuel wrote:
A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisting of a president, a vice president, and 3 committee members. How many such councils are possible


(A) \(\frac{12!}{7!5!}\)

(B) \(\frac{12!}{7!3!}\)

(C) \(\frac{12!}{3!5!}\)

(D) \(\frac{12!}{7!}\)

(E) \(12!\)


A president can be chosen in 12 ways. Vice president in 11 ways. Remaining 3 committee members can be selected in \(10_C_3\) ways = \(\frac{10!}{7!3!}\)

So total possible ways are \(\frac{12!}{7!3!}\)

OPTION: B
_________________
____________________________
Regards,

Chaitanya


+1 Kudos

if you like my explanation!!!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jun 2018
Posts: 89
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V21
Re: A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 08:52
chetan2u or VeritasKarishma could you please explain how is it a Permutation problem? & the solution
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7757
Re: A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 09:35
2
Manat wrote:
chetan2u or VeritasKarishma could you please explain how is it a Permutation problem? & the solution


Hi ..

It is a combination of permutation and combination..

Out of 12 you have to choose a president, vice president and 3 committee members..
So choosing president and vice president is permutation and selection of 3 committee members is combination.

Go step by step..
1) president - any of the 12, so 12 ways
2) vice president - any of the remaining 11, so 11 ways
3) 3 committee members - 3 out of 10, so 10C3..

Total ways = \(12*11*10C3=12*11*\frac{10!}{7!3!}=\frac{12!}{7!3!}\)

B
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisti   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2019, 09:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A student council is to be chosen from a class of 12 students consisti

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne