Last visit was: 12 Jul 2024, 17:01 It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 17:01
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2296 [16]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2296 [3]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2296 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Re: A tiny fraction of binary systems belong to a curious subclass whose r [#permalink]
Hi GmatWizard ,

I wonder if you could help me with question 3 , I know where to spot the answer , however I have some doubts...
in the passage it says that Such systems radiate (5) strongly in the visible region of the spectrum, but some of them do so even more strongly at both shorter and longer wavelengths, so I lean on answer B rather than D, because for D to be true shouldnt all of them to have this attribute?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2133 [2]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Re: A tiny fraction of binary systems belong to a curious subclass whose r [#permalink]
Kudos
Thank you GmatWizard for tagging me and believing in my abilities to help ;-)

So Q3 is pretty straightforward detail question which most people find easy-

Detail to be found at the start of the passage as you right pointed out -

tiny fraction of binary systems belong to a curious subclass whose radiation has a wavelength distribution so peculiar that it long defied explanation. Such systems radiate (5) strongly in the visible region of the spectrum, but some of them do so even more strongly at both shorter and longer wavelengths: in the ultraviolet region and in the infrared and radio regions.

3. According to the passage, the radiation emitted by symbiotic stars is distinctive in that it
(A) generates standard wavelengths
(B) consists partly of visible waves TRAP answer - the passage partly says that such systems radiate strongly in the visible regions - here I believe that such refers to bianry star systems but some of them ( now them refers to symbiotic) do so at extreme ends
(C) is transferred from one star to its partner
(D) is strongest at the extreme ends of the spectrum Perfect - the passage states that this is the peculiar part of the radiation received from symbiotic
(E) emanates primarily from the larger star

It is important to note that the question specifically asks what characteristic is distinctive in the ration of symbiotic stars

Hope this is helpful. :-)

Btw, it took 4 mins 45 secs to get 3 out of 4 correct. I fell for Q4 Option (C) vs. E.. but official explanations are helpful to see why (C) is wrong in Q4. :-)
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
Hi GmatWizard ,

I wonder if you could help me with question 3 , I know where to spot the answer , however I have some doubts...
in the passage it says that Such systems radiate (5) strongly in the visible region of the spectrum, but some of them do so even more strongly at both shorter and longer wavelengths, so I lean on answer B rather than D, because for D to be true shouldn't all of them to have this attribute?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Hi Gladiator59, I understand your reasoning, but the reason I rejected option D was because it says extreme ends of the spectrum. Which I believe cannot be inferred and I could not find it explicitly being said anywhere. What if ultraviolet and radio waves aren't in the extreme end of the spectrum. Can we infer something like that on such questions??? egmat
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
Can anyone explain solution to Q4?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36329 [2]
Given Kudos: 5828
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos