GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 08:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A word of thanks: 770 would've been impossible without you guys

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
A word of thanks: 770 would've been impossible without you guys  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 19:09
Even before I took my GMAT exam, I had decided that regardless of my result, I would make this post in order to thank everyone on this website.
I'm one of those silent trawlers of GMAT club, the ones who silently read all the interesting debriefs, answer the top questions of the day, etc.
But I would've never been able to achiever what I did without the help of posts from users such as bb, Bunuel, souvik, Tommy Wallach, daagh, chineseburned and so many more users who I have made my unofficial mentors. I know there are plenty more like me who don't post much, but I'm sure we are all very thankful for all the tireless work and effort that has been put into this website. From using @bb's carefully curated compendiums of high difficulty Verbal and Quant questions, to finding @bunuel's precise and logical explanations to answers on all of those tricky quant problems, from Tommy's superb explanations, which always contained helpful example sentences of word usage and meaning, on those head scratching SCs, to chineseburned's now legendary AWA template, I cannot even begin to tell you how big a part of my journey all of you have been.

For someone who decided to take the path of self prep, this website has been a God-send. I have gone through so many debriefs when I was stressed, found so many helpful tips and tricks on this website, in fact I don't think there was ever a day during my prep where I didn't use the website for at least half an hour. I remember stressing out on CR questions during the verbal section, but I remembered stories I had read on GMATClub about users who felt that all was lost, only for the screen to flash a score of 760+. I had the very same experience. I have always had a tendency to focus on what I get wrong, and even though I took the extremely sane advice to cut my losses and pick the most favourable answer on CR questions that I had spent more than 3 minutes on, I couldn't help but get those questions out of my mind. "What if this is the question that drags me below 700?" But I took deep breaths, remembered all the advice I had learned on this forum, and kept moving on. I remember trembling when I first saw my score on the screen. 770: Q50V45 IR8.

Thank you all for being such a huge part of my journey. Would never have been able to do it without you. I feel that the least I can do is tell you that there are thousands of others like me who may not be seen or heard much, but are forever in your debt.

PS: Apologies if I forgot to mention your username, but if you've ever had any top posts, I've probably read it and gained much from it.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V40
CAT Tests
Re: A word of thanks: 770 would've been impossible without you guys  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 01:48
Nicely done ;)
Could you share with us, what posts were the more valuable to you ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Re: A word of thanks: 770 would've been impossible without you guys  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 22:48
Congratulations!! Awesome score!

Yeah, i agree the debriefs here are pure Gold!!

Thanks for sharing your GMAT story!

Cheers,
GyM

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 02:56
Hi Masky,

Congratulations for securing auch a stellar score. Wish you all the best to get into your first choice schools.

Can you please let us know the strategies/methodology followed for verbal.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 22:13
loneo3006 wrote:
Nicely done ;)

Hi all, so sorry for the late reply. I've stopped using the website as much after my exam and I just happened to log in to kill time at work

As regards to quant, any post with a reply from Bunuel is pure gold. Not only does he/she answer everything correctly, but the solutions and methods are probably the most time saving and easy to understand. If I had one advice for quant it would be, see as many solutions of his/hers as possible and train your brain to start thinking in the same way. You may know how to get to the answer, but it isn't very meaningful if you're taking roundabout methods which cost you valuable extra seconds.

The material I used for quant was Manhattan subject wise guides. I had read on many forums that Manhattan has harder quant questions, and my strategy for any exam is always to tackle higher level prep material. I like to compare my study process to exercising with leg weights on. If I exercise with extra leg weights (ie, Manhattan quant) for a longer time, the actual weight-less exercises (ie, GMAT quant) will start seeming easier in comparison. The last thing I want to be doing during my exam is freaking out because some question seems too difficult or "out of scope"

As for verbal, I solved every single collection of 700+ questions (for SC, CR and RC) posted by bb on forums (a simple google search should lead you to this). Again, the training weights analogy applies here too. The harder I train now, the easier it gets for me later.

Don't be afraid to get questions wrong. I've had streaks of wrong answers (especially on 70%+ difficulty GMATClub CR questions). Attempt each question conscientiously, but don't be disappointed to get it wrong, because each question you get wrong is just one more addition to your error log. And since you're only as strong as your weakest link, working on your weaknesses is the very essence of the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 23:31
masky wrote:
loneo3006 wrote:
Nicely done ;)

Bump

(please ignore, Im just trying to get to 5 posts so that I can send attachments)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A word of thanks: 770 would've been impossible without you guys &nbs [#permalink] 10 Sep 2018, 23:31

A word of thanks: 770 would've been impossible without you guys

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Try it for free Online, personalized course | Unlimited tutor support | Special GMAT Club discount | GMAT Club tests included
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap