GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 18:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ABCD is a square of side 4 inch. If each corner of square is cut ident

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CEO
CEO
P
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
ABCD is a square of side 4 inch. If each corner of square is cut ident  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 22:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (02:36) correct 70% (02:28) wrong based on 20 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

ABCD is a square of side 4 inch. If each corner of square is cut identically so that resultant structure becomes regular eight sided polygon. What is length of side of octagon?

A) \(4/ (2-√2)\)
B) \(2√2/ (√2+1)\)
C) \(4(√2-1)\)
D) \(4(√2+1)\)
E) \(4/ (√2-1)\)

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
CAT Tests
Re: ABCD is a square of side 4 inch. If each corner of square is cut ident  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 01:35
ABCD is a square of side 4 inch. If each corner of square is cut identically so that resultant structure becomes regular eight sided polygon. What is length of side of octagon?

A) 4/(2−√2)4/(2−√2)
B) 2√2/(√2+1)2√2/(√2+1)
C) 4(√2−1)4(√2−1)
D) 4(√2+1)4(√2+1)
E) 4/(√2−1)

GMATinsight I am not able to solve the question completely, below are my two cents :

Given each side of square is 4, so and it is cut equally to an octagon so lets assume it to be cut equally on each by x so now each side of the square will be ( 4-2x) , perimeter of the square shape with 8 points will be (4-2x) * 4: (16-8x) and we can deduce that each side of the octagon would be (16-8x)*1/8 : (2-x).

Each side of the octagon would be (2-x).

I am not able to solve further than this..not even sure whether my aforementioned approach is correct or not....
CEO
CEO
P
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
ABCD is a square of side 4 inch. If each corner of square is cut ident  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 02:01
archish3113 wrote:

A) 4/(2−√2)4/(2−√2)
B) 2√2/(√2+1)2√2/(√2+1)
C) 4(√2−1)4(√2−1)
D) 4(√2+1)4(√2+1)
E) 4/(√2−1)

GMATinsight I am not able to solve the question completely, below are my two cents :

Given each side of square is 4, so and it is cut equally to an octagon so lets assume it to be cut equally on each by x so now each side of the square will be ( 4-2x) , perimeter of the square shape with 8 points will be (4-2x) * 4: (16-8x) and we can deduce that each side of the octagon would be (16-8x)*1/8 : (2-x).

Each side of the octagon would be (2-x).

I am not able to solve further than this..not even sure whether my aforementioned approach is correct or not....

Refer the figure attached for how the octagon will be obtained by chopping of fthe corners identically

Here Side of square, S = 4
and Side of Octagon, a = ?

Now, we see that each corner cut off is a right triangle with sides \(a√2\) as hypotenuse of the triangle being a

i.e. \(\frac{a}{√2}+a+\frac{a}{√2} = 4\)

i.e. \(a+\frac{2a}{√2} = a+a√2 = 4\)

i.e. \(a = 4/(√2+1) = 4(√2-1)\)

Answer: Option C

Hope this helps!!! :)
Attachments

File comment: www.GMATinsight.com
1.png
1.png [ 7.27 KiB | Viewed 211 times ]

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

GMATH Teacher
S
Re: ABCD is a square of side 4 inch. If each corner of square is cut ident  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 09:47
GMATinsight wrote:

A) \(4/ (2-√2)\)
B) \(2√2/ (√2+1)\)
C) \(4(√2-1)\)
D) \(4(√2+1)\)
E) \(4/ (√2-1)\)

Hi GMATinsight!

First of all, congratulations for the beautiful question. It´s exactly GMAT-like at its best: clearly written and easily-solved with proper understanding/tools!

(All measures are in inches. Please follow image attached.)

\(? = x\)

\(\left\{ \begin{gathered}
2L + x = 4 \hfill \\
x = L\sqrt 2 \,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{ \cdot \,\,\sqrt 2 } \,\,\,\,2L = x\sqrt 2 \hfill \\
\end{gathered} \right.\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,x\sqrt 2 + x = 4\)

\(\,x\left( {\sqrt 2 + 1} \right) = \,\,4\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,? = x = \frac{4}{{\sqrt 2 + 1}} = \frac{{4\left( {\sqrt 2 - 1} \right)}}{{\left( {\sqrt 2 + 1} \right)\left( {\sqrt 2 - 1} \right)}} = 4\left( {\sqrt 2 - 1} \right)\)

The correct answer is therefore (C).

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Attachments

21Set18_4q.gif
21Set18_4q.gif [ 5.65 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]

Fabio Skilnik :: http://www.GMATH.net (Math for the GMAT)
Course release PROMO : finish our test drive till 31/Oct with (at least) 60 correct answers out of 92 (12-questions Mock included) to gain a 60% discount!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: ABCD is a square of side 4 inch. If each corner of square is cut ident &nbs [#permalink] 21 Sep 2018, 09:47

ABCD is a square of side 4 inch. If each corner of square is cut ident

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap