Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [0]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Asking About Modifier [#permalink]
If these confuse you, you should thoroughly study many rules about them. I'd recommend you to take look at wonderful egmat's articles on modifiers. Here is the link.
In short: modifiers should stand as close as possible to the noun they modify. (there are exceptions, of course)

2. that usually modifies the preceding noun - town here
3. Logically, the cake should be nice. IMO on GMAT this sentence might be considered incorrect, as John could also be nice.
'The cake in the kitchen, which is nice, is eaten by John' would be more clear.

5. which modifies the whole phrase 'the return of African American soldiers from the First World War in 1918'.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Asking About Modifier [#permalink]
Thanks a lot. In my impression, the modifier refers to the closetest noun. In that case, would the modifier in sentence 5 refers to the First World War instead of the whole phrase?

kivalo wrote:
If these confuse you, you should thoroughly study many rules about them. I'd recommend you to take look at wonderful egmat's articles on modifiers. Here is the
In short: modifiers should stand as close as possible to the noun they modify. (there are exceptions, of course)

3. Logically, the cake should be nice. IMO on GMAT this sentence might be considered incorrect, as John could also be nice.

5. which modifies the whole phrase 'the return of African American soldiers from the First World War in 1918'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
I should have written noun or noun phrase. In 5 which correctly modifies preceding noun phrase. Whether it modifies only the preceding noun or the whole phrase depends on the meaning. Do check the links I've posted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [0]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
kivalo wrote:
If these confuse you, you should thoroughly study many rules about them. I'd recommend you to take look at wonderful egmat's articles on modifiers. Here is the link.

I thought the same about 3.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
sanehigh wrote:
Hi all, i'm new to the forum. Nice to meet you!

I would like to know which part of these sentences does their modifiers modify.

(1) The dog of the fire station, which is very big, jump out of a car

(2) The dog of the fire station at the end of town that is very big, is running

(3) The cake in the kitchen is eaten by John that is nice

(4) Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and seen monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging like socks on a clothesline. <<<<< [[[[modify Visitors or monkeys or could be both?]]]]

(5) What made the moment right was the return of African American soldiers from the First World War in 1918, which created an ideal constituency for someone with Garvey's message of unity, pride, and improved conditions for African American communities <<<<<<<[[[[modify "What" or "the return" or "African American Soldiers" or "1918" or "could be anything?]]]]

Secondly, I would like to know which part is the modifier of this sentence and which of the sentence does the modifier modify

(6) In these difficult economic times, those who have public pensions – veterans, mail workers, firemen, and others – are being pursued strongly by pension advance companies, which operate without much oversight from banking regulators but are now drawing scrutiny from several other government organizations.

1. station
2. town
3. John - this usage is incorrect. the noun modifier must be placed near the noun it modifies. It can modify a slightly farther noun ONLY if there is a noun phrase. To modify a person, we need to use who/whose/whom. "that" is never correctly used on GMAT when it refers to a person.
4. monkeys - it is correctly modifying monkeys - monkeys is the "head" of the noun phrase monkeys sleeping on the branches. moreover, I don't think the "like" is used correctly here. Like is correctly used in comparison only when comparing 2 nouns or noun phrases.
5. war
6. companies.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts