GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 02:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

According to a research of 1000 individuals, 70% of the people who wer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Premium Member
According to a research of 1000 individuals, 70% of the people who wer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 20:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (02:44) correct 45% (02:44) wrong based on 884 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to a research of 1000 individuals, 70% of the people who were part of Genco Slimming centre's weight loss program, lost an average of 4 pounds of weight in one month. However the same research also found that 80% of the people, who lost an average of 4 pounds of weight in that month, did not attend Genco Slimming centre's weight loss program.

Which of the following conclusions can most properly be drawn from the information above?

A. The number of people who were part of Genco's weight loss program is greater than the number of people who lost an average of more than 4 pounds of weight in that month

B. The people who did not join Genco's weight loss program and yet managed to lose an average of 4 pounds of weight in a month must have followed a very strict exercise regime of their own

C.The number of people who did not join Genco's weight loss program and who lost less than an average of 4 pounds of weight in the month is lower than the number of people who attended Genco's weight loss program and lost less than an average of 4 pounds of weight

D. The number of people who did not join Genco's weight loss program and who still managed to lose an average of more than 4 pounds of weight in that month is greater than the total number of people who joined Genco's weight loss program

E.The chances of a person losing an average of more than 4 pounds of weight in one month are higher if the person does not join Genco's weight loss program
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: According to a research of 1000 individuals, 70% of the people who wer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 05:43
ssr300 wrote:
According to a research of 1000 individuals, 70% of the people who were part of Genco Slimming centre's weight loss program, lost an average of 4 pounds of weight in one month. However the same research also found that 80% of the people, who lost an average of 4 pounds of weight in that month, did not attend Genco Slimming centre's weight loss program.

Which of the following conclusions can most properly be drawn from the information above?

A. The number of people who were part of Genco's weight loss program is greater than the number of people who lost an average of more than 4 pounds of weight in that month

B. The people who did not join Genco's weight loss program and yet managed to lose an average of 4 pounds of weight in a month must have followed a very strict exercise regime of their own

C.The number of people who did not join Genco's weight loss program and who lost less than an average of 4 pounds of weight in the month is lower than the number of people who attended Genco's weight loss program and lost less than an average of 4 pounds of weight

D. The number of people who did not join Genco's weight loss program and who still managed to lose an average of more than 4 pounds of weight in that month is greater than the total number of people who joined Genco's weight loss program

E.The chances of a person losing an average of more than 4 pounds of weight in one month are higher if the person does not join Genco's weight loss program

Let A = 70% of the people who joined weight loss program, lost avg of 4 pounds in that month.
B = 80% of the people who lost an avg of 4 pounds in that month

clearly A is subset of B.

Therefore option D is true,

The number of people who did not join Genco's weight loss program and who still managed to lose an average of more than 4 pounds of weight in that month is greater than the total number of people who joined Genco's weight loss program

Remember, if it is a GMAT question, it can be simplified elegantly.

Intern
Intern
B
Re: According to a research of 1000 individuals, 70% of the people who wer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 05:21
Let x is the number of people who joined the Genco's weight loss program.
Total number of people who joined the Genco's weight loss program and lost an average of 4 pounds of weight in one month = 0.7x
Total number of people who did not join the Genco's weight loss program and lost an average of 4 pounds of weight in one month = (0.7*0.8/0.2) x = 2.8 x (clearly it's greater than x)

So option D
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member Reviews Badge
According to a research of 1000 individuals, 70% of the people who wer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Apr 2017, 20:28
Hello Experts,
Abhishek009, mikemcgarry, msk0657, GMATNinja, dentobizz, Nightfury14, ziyuen, MacFauz, carcass, chetan2u, yezz, RaviChandra, GMATNinjaTwo, souvik101990, Gnpth, sallysea, Nevernevergiveup, Narenn, Divyadisha, DensetsuNo, daagh, ScottTargetTestPrep, daviddaviddavid, gauravraos, godot53, malevg, mvictor, sandaki, shekyonline, vitaliyGMAT
VeritasPrepKarishma, sayantanc2k, hotshot02, raghaw, IanStewart
In this question - this is what i did:
# of people who are part of GSP - x
70% lost avg. of 4 pounds in month = 0.7x
(question doesn't say anything about > 4 pounds but ideally i assume 50%) => 0.35x lost > 4 pounds in month

# of people who lost 4 pounds in month = y
80% lost avg. of 4 pounds in month = 0.8y
> 4 pounds => 0.4y

I am not able to figure out how can we say 0.4y > 0.35x?
We don't know what is the exact value of x and y. What am i missing, can someone please clarify?

I also did this:
-----------------lost 4 pounds----------Not lost 4 pounds
Join GSP--------0.7x = 0.2y------------------------------------------x
Not Join GSP--------0.8y------------------------------------------ something
-------------------------y-------------------(1000-y)-----------------1000
So, we can say that:
0.7x = 0.2y
7x = 2y
x/y = 2/7 and y > x

But still as ans is D and question stem doesn't say ANYTHING ABOUT > 4 pounds a month HOW do we know that # of people who lost > 4 pounds without joining GSP is more than those who joined GSP?

Thanks

Originally posted by manishtank1988 on 27 Apr 2017, 20:05.
Last edited by manishtank1988 on 27 Apr 2017, 20:28, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 20:06
(question doesn't say anything about > 4 pounds but ideally i assume 50%) => 0.35x lost > 4 pounds in month

> 4 pounds => 0.4y

We don't know what is the exact value of x and y. What am i missing, can someone please clarify?
Thanks
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 22:20
manishtank1988 wrote:

> 4 pounds => 0.4y

Thanks

80% lost avg. of 4 pounds in month = 0.8y , so remaing 0.2y lost weight through GSP,so 0.2y=0.7x

you want to know how 0.4y > 0.35x. Use the above equation,what is 0.35x? it is 0.1y. So 0.4y>0.1y...

Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 05:29
sandaki wrote:
manishtank1988 wrote:

> 4 pounds => 0.4y

Thanks

80% lost avg. of 4 pounds in month = 0.8y , so remaing 0.2y lost weight through GSP,so 0.2y=0.7x

you want to know how 0.4y > 0.35x. Use the above equation,what is 0.35x? it is 0.1y. So 0.4y>0.1y...

Hope it helps

sandaki - First of all thanks for your response:
Yes, i did notice that but, here, i am making an ASSUMPTION that 50% lost > 4 pounds and other 50% lost < 4 pounds. Again, this is NOT given to us anywhere in this problem. So it is very well possible that 0.1y > 0.7x (depending on the values of x & y eg y = 100 and x = 10 => 10 > 7 ) & (depending on the values of x & y eg y = 10 and x = 10 => 1 < 7). So this is the thing i don't understand. How can we say D or any option is correct?
I hope i conveyed my confusion. Please let me know what you think!!! :?:
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GPA: 3.59
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 20:27
manishtank1988 wrote:
Hello Experts,
But still as ans is D and question stem doesn't say ANYTHING ABOUT > 4 pounds a month HOW do we know that # of people who lost > 4 pounds without joining GSP is more than those who joined GSP?
[/b][/i][/u]
Thanks

same confusion like MAnish's and so opted out D and choose B
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 01:59
Analysis of data :
Total = 1000
Assume x out of 1000 -> lost avg weight of 4 pound in one month
80% of x -> lost weight but did not attend weight loss program
Remaning 20% of x -> lost weight but attended the loss program = 70 % of (who attended the program and lost weight) [they are equal]

-Don't know how many attended the weight loss program , only detail we have is how many lost weight who attended. Cannot conclude this

- cannot conclude they might have lose weight by following own diet plan or other factors. Hence cannot be drawn from the paragraph information

-we have no details regarding people who lost "less than average" .Passage only talks about "lost an average" So directly eliminate this option

- conclusion can be drawn from data 80% of x > 20 % of x . CORRECT

- an average "more than 4 pounds" is not mentioned in passsage. Eliminate for same reason as C

Kudos please if explanation helped . Have a good day :)

Kudos please if explanation helped
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't stop when you are tired , stop when you are DONE .

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 04:35
akshata19 wrote:
Analysis of data :
Total = 1000
Remaning 20% of x -> lost weight but attended the loss program = 70 % of (who attended the program and lost weight) [they are equal]

-Don't know how many attended the weight loss program , only detail we have is how many lost weight who attended. Cannot conclude this

- cannot conclude they might have lose weight by following own diet plan or other factors. Hence cannot be drawn from the paragraph information

-we have no details regarding people who lost "less than average" .Passage only talks about "lost an average" So directly eliminate this option

- an average "more than 4 pounds" is not mentioned in passsage. Eliminate for same reason as C

Hi akshata19

I dont think you're right. See the text of the question below.

According to a research of 1000 individuals, 70% of the people who were part of Genco Slimming centre's weight loss program, lost an average of 4 pounds of weight in one month. However the same research also found that 80% of the people, who LOST AN AVERAGE OF 4 POUNDS of weight in that month, did not attend Genco Slimming centre's weight loss program.

It is nowhere mentioned that they lost more than average of 4 pounds of weight, which is written in D.

IMHO, the question is either wrong, or incorrectly posted.

mikemcgarry IanStewart, your help is appreciated.

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Account Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2018, 06:13
ShashankDave wrote:
akshata19 wrote:
Analysis of data :
Total = 1000

Hi akshata19

I dont think you're right. See the text of the question below.

According to a research of 1000 individuals, 70% of the people who were part of Genco Slimming centre's weight loss program, lost an average of 4 pounds of weight in one month. However the same research also found that 80% of the people, who LOST AN AVERAGE OF 4 POUNDS of weight in that month, did not attend Genco Slimming centre's weight loss program.

It is nowhere mentioned that they lost more than average of 4 pounds of weight, which is written in D.

IMHO, the question is either wrong, or incorrectly posted.

mikemcgarry IanStewart, your help is appreciated.

Presence of "more" in the answer choice got me confused and I rejected this answer choice. Does this happen in real GMAT test too?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 07:57
Jesus, I took 6 mins to go through all the answer choices in order to make sure D was the correct one.

Any way to solve this kind of Quant question disguised as CR questions faster?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2018, 11:53
Yes, I have to agree with other posters, the answers do not seem right.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 23:57
I try to solve these questions by using the two table- overlapping set method.

Program Lost avg 4 lbs. ( Didnt lose avg 4 lbs) TOTAL
Genco 0.7X 0.3X X
Non-Genco 0.8Y (A) 1000-X
Total Y 1000-Y 1000

So D) is saying is A>0.3X
A=1000-Y-0.3X
Therefore A>0.3X
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 00:43
akshata19 wrote:
Analysis of data :
Total = 1000

You'd need a slight modification in your calculations. 0.2 x is the number of people who lost weight and attended the program. However, the stem says "total number of people attending the program" hence you'd have to divide 0.2x by 0.7 to get the "number of people attending the program"

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to a research of 1000 individuals, 70% of the people who wer &nbs [#permalink] 15 Sep 2018, 00:43

According to a research of 1000 individuals, 70% of the people who wer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap