Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [40]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [2]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V29
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Human Resources)
Send PM
Re: According to paleontologists, if it were not for the bolide striking [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
According to paleontologists, if it were not for the bolide striking the Earth at 40,000 miles per hour and releasing 2 million times more energy compared to the most powerful nuclear bomb ever detonated, the dinosaurs would live much longer on this planet.

Point No1: The OA has been inadvertently typed as A; In fact, it is C as DharLog has diagnosed, but my reasons are the slightly different.

My take is that in comparison questions, one must be cautious about what are being compared on either side of the comparison marker. Here the comparison marker is either compared to or more energy than. Therefore, we must ensure that if energy is one side, energy is there on the other side too. Alternatively, if the bolide is on one side, then bomb must be on the other side and not the energy. With this format in mind,

A) if it were not for the bolide striking the Earth at 40,000 miles per hour and releasing 2 million times more energy compared to the most powerful nuclear bomb ever detonated, the dinosaurs would live -- the comparison seems to be between the energy with the bomb, which is wrong.

B) if it were not for the bolide that struck the Earth at 40,000 miles per hour, releasing 2 million times more energy than the most powerful nuclear bomb ever detonated, the dinosaurs would have lived --- same problem as in A; In addition, there is a mix up in the use of conditionals as Dear has pointed out.

C) had it not been for the bolide that struck the Earth at 40,000 miles per hour and released 2 million times more energy than that of the most powerful nuclear bomb ever detonated, the dinosaurs would have lived --- Had it not been is the correct third conditional with the use of the past perfect in the conditional clause and would have in the main clause. This is actually the inverted conditional3. In addition, the comparison is now between energy and the energy of the bomb, rather than the bomb itself.

D) had it not been for the bolide that struck the Earth at 40,000 miles per hour and released 2 million times more energy than that of the most powerful nuclear bomb ever detonated, the dinosaurs would live --- The main clause belongs to conditional 2 rather than conditional 3.

E) had the bolide not struck the Earth at 40,000 miles per hour and released 2 million times more energy compared to the most powerful nuclear bomb ever detonated, the dinosaurs would have lived -- The same old mistake of comparing energy with the bomb.

Therefore, C is the best.

Hi Daagh,
Can you please elaborate on the conditionals mentioned? What is the rule?

TIA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
Re: According to paleontologists, if it were not for the bolide striking [#permalink]
But does it not seem that

bolide struck the earth
and released more energy.

It did 2 different actions. and is usually used to combine two independent thoughts. Here, the ideas are related. so chose B.

Thoughts on my reasoning?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Kudos
what helped me get to the right answer was being able to narrow the answers down to C and Dbc they were the only ones in the stem with the right comparison "x times more energy than [the energy] released by the nuclear bomb..." so it should be "x times more energy than[that] of the nuclear bomb..."

then C made more sense than D at the end "dinosaurs would have lived" so I eliminated D.

C is the winner. took 2 mins though.... trying to get SCs within 90 secs max to save more time for the CR / RC
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
A) if it were not for the bolide striking the Earth at 40,000 miles per hour and releasing 2 million times more energy compared to the most powerful nuclear bomb ever detonated, the dinosaurs would live
Towards the end it should be would have lived not would live

B) if it were not for the bolide that struck the Earth at 40,000 miles per hour, releasing 2 million times more energy than the most powerful nuclear bomb ever detonated, the dinosaurs would have lived
There is a mix of conditional along with flaws in A

C) had it not been for the bolide that struck the Earth at 40,000 miles per hour and released 2 million times more energy than that of the most powerful nuclear bomb ever detonated, the dinosaurs would have lived
This has the perfect reasoning as all the parallelism about the enrgy and bomb is cleared hence let us hang on to it

D) had it not been for the bolide that struck the Earth at 40,000 miles per hour and released 2 million times more energy than that of the most powerful nuclear bomb ever detonated, the dinosaurs would live
Similar reasoning as A

E) had the bolide not struck the Earth at 40,000 miles per hour and released 2 million times more energy compared to the most powerful nuclear bomb ever detonated, the dinosaurs would have lived
The starting of the sentence isn't appropriate it has to be had it not be

Hence IMO C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts