It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric times,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric times, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 07:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:11) correct 16% (01:31) wrong based on 105 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric times, many of today’s separate continents were part of a single huge landmass. As the plates on which this landmass rested began to move, the mass broke apart, and ocean water filled the newly created chasms. It is hypothesized, for example, that South America was once joined on its east coast with what is now the west coast of Africa.

Which one of the following discoveries, if it were made, would most support the above hypothesis about South America and Africa?

(A) A large band of ancient rock of a rare type along the east coast of South America is of the same type as a band on the west coast of Africa.
(B) Many people today living in Brazil are genetically quite similar to many western Africans.
(C) The climates of western Africa and of the east coast of South America resemble each other.
(D) Some of the oldest tribes of people living in eastern South America speak languages linguistically similar to various languages
spoken by certain western African peoples.
(E) Several species of plants found in western Africa closely resemble plants growing in South America.

Source: Powerscore CR Bible
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric times, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 08:38
Good question.

The argument is saying there was some separation happened between tectonic plates. Then it gives an example of South America and Africa and said yes they were separated due these tectonic plates only.

We need to strengthen this by presenting a discovering that proves our point.

(A) A large band of ancient rock of a rare type along the east coast of South America is of the same type as a band on the west coast of Africa. --> Ok, so earth composition found at east coast of one resembles the west coast of the other. Hence, it could be a strengthener.

(B) Many people today living in Brazil are genetically quite similar to many western Africans. --> It may happen that people moved from one location to another. Hence, not a strengthener.

(C) The climates of western Africa and of the east coast of South America resemble each other. Climate of India is similar to climate of XYZ. That doesn't mean they were connected. :-D

(D) Some of the oldest tribes of people living in eastern South America speak languages linguistically similar to various languages spoken by certain western African peoples. ok, I speak english. You at London also speak English. Were we connected by land ? :-D Again, no sense.

(E) Several species of plants found in western Africa closely resemble plants growing in South America. I bought 10 species of plants from America and started growig on my land. Were we connected by land? Non sense. :-D

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Manager
Manager
S
Schools: IIMA , IIMA PGPX"18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.91
Reviews Badge
Re: According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric times, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 03:08
(A) A large band of ancient rock of a rare type along the east coast of South America is of the same type as a band on the west coast of Africa.
Earth composition found at east coast of one resembles the west coast of the other. Hence, it could be a strengthener.

(B) Many people today living in Brazil are genetically quite similar to many western Africans. Too specific and people can migrate

(C) The climates of western Africa and of the east coast of South America resemble each other. Out of scope

(D) Some of the oldest tribes of people living in eastern South America speak languages linguistically similar to various languages spoken by certain western African peoples. People of different countries speak different language.

(E) Several species of plants found in western Africa closely resemble plants growing in South America. If people who migrate also took plants with them.

OA is A

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need.

“The great secret of true success, of true happiness, is this: the man or woman who asks for no return, the perfectly unselfish person, is the most successful.”
-Swami Vivekananda

Re: According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric times,   [#permalink] 26 May 2017, 03:08

According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric times,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap