GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 13:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Aug 2017, 03:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (00:54) correct 20% (00:45) wrong based on 377 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than to any other mammals.

(A) that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates — a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos — than

(B) that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates — a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos — as

(C) whales, porpoises, and dolphins to be more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates — a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos — than they are

(D) whales, porpoises, and dolphins as being more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates — a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos — as they are

(E) whales, porpoises, and dolphins as more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates — a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos — than

(Q28 of Practice Test 1) Hi, encountered this on GMATPREP ... any ideas/explanation? thx

Originally posted by prince13 on 30 Oct 2008, 11:54.
Last edited by hazelnut on 01 Aug 2017, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted the question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 13:15
(A).
Agree, more X than Y.

Also, in (E), it should be, a group that.... includes....

A. that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than

E. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

VP
VP
Re: According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 14:32
prince13 wrote:
Hi, encountered this on GMATPREP ... any ideas/explanation? thx

(Q28 of Practice Test 1)
According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than to any other mammals.

A. that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than
B. that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—as
C. whales, porpoises, and dolphins to be more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than they are
D. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as being more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—as they are
E. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than

more closely related to X than to Y is the correct usage.
"a group" is singular...... the right verb is "includes" and not "include"

Only choices A,C and E maintain this structure. C and E have "include" which is wrong here.

only A remains.

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 14:39
B. that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—as [– more closely than – not as - Eliminate it]

C. whales, porpoises, and dolphins to be more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and
hippos—than they are – they has referent issue

D. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as being more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—as they are [– more closely than – not as - Eliminate it]

E. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than – a group includes - agreement issue

Answer:A
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 18:59
prince13 wrote:

(Q28 of Practice Test 1)

B. that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—as
C. whales, porpoises, and dolphins to be more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than they are
D. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as being more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—as they are

A.
1. needs that
2. More than
2. a group ......... that .......... includes.

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 21:53
GMAT TIGER wrote:
A.
1. needs that
2. More than

GMAT TIGER, I sometimes get confused with the usage of "that", when do we know that the sentence requires "that" ?

I really appreciate any help :)

Thanks

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2008, 07:43
amitdgr wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
A.
1. needs that
2. More than

GMAT TIGER, I sometimes get confused with the usage of "that", when do we know that the sentence requires "that" ?

Thanks

My rule for this one: when there are two clauses, the "that" as a conjunction is better to use. Lets see how it looks like with and without that:

1: With that:

2: Without that:

According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than to any other mammals.

with that sounds better, right.

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2008, 14:18
Hi guys,

IMHO: A

B the sentence between '-' has an error: the subject is 'group' and therefore, it should be 'includes' instead of 'include'

C same error

D it has being... I usually discard answers that containg the word 'being'

E same error than B and C

OA?

Cheers

prince13 wrote:

(Q28 of Practice Test 1)

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2008, 14:14
I looked for conjunction "that" it is only in A and B, so eliminate C, D and E. now in B idiomatic error "more ...so" there fore eliminate B as well and the ans is A.

IMO A
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2010, 21:45
A it is

recent fossil discoveries show that A, B, and C are more closely related to X than to Y.

group is singular and thus need "includes"

A. that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than - CORRECT

C. whales, porpoises, and dolphins to be more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than they are - also 'that' is missing

D. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as being more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—as they are - 'that' is missing

E. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than - 'that' is missing.
Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 22:34
There are 2 very easy decision points here
1) A group of hoofed mammals :- SINGULAR , so correct verb would be INCLUDES not INCLUDE
2) The correct idiom is MORE THAN

According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—"a group of hoofed mammals" that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than to any other mammals.

CORRECT:- This is a perfect Grammatical composition. Nothing wrong with it

WRONG SV

WRONG SV

WRONG - MORE AS is the incorrect idiom

WRONG SV

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Intern
Intern
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2016, 08:11
amitdgr wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
A.
1. needs that
2. More than

Thanks

Sentence Structure
Subject Verb
According to two teams of palaeontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than to any other mammals.

Simplifying the sentence (for easy understanding)
According to two teams of palaeontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than to any other mammals.

The two underlined portions are clauses which should be connected properly. They are connected properly only in answer choices (A) & (B).

P.S. Answer choices (C), (D), & (E) are also incorrect for other errors.

Thanks

Once you know the answer, it is easy to justify.

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 01:41
According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates - a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos - than to any other mammals.

a) that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates - a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos - than - Correct
b) that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates - a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos - as --> idiom issue -- more .. than
c) whales, porpoises, and dolphins to be more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates - a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos - than they are - show that is needed
d) whales, porpoises, and dolphins as being more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates - a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos - as they are - show that is needed
e) whales, porpoises, and dolphins as more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates - a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos - than - show that is needed

Answer A

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Re: According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil &nbs [#permalink] 04 Dec 2017, 01:41

According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap