Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 00:56 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Send PM
Re: ACTUAL post MBA salary: are the figures real or tilted to the upside? [#permalink]
edma90 wrote:
I understand your point.. So do you have any ideas where can we find the best salary stats in term of purchasing power after the MBA?

Posted from my mobile device

Good question.

Maybe the files of the career services department ... which doesn't help us out much today.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51454 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: ACTUAL post MBA salary: are the figures real or tilted to the upside? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I graduated from Ross last week and have a decent network across top schools in the country. What kind of salary stats are you looking for? I might be able to answer specific salary questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Unfortunately I am looking for European MBA stats... Here the dispersion is even more considering totally different economies...

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72907 [2]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Personally, I feel the European schools are a lot less transparent than the US schools and because of a lack of transparency for European schools, the numbers raise more questions and scrutiny. I think it would be awesome to validate some of the salary numbers and assumptions for European schools.

I don’t think MBA programs would be as brazen as to fabricate salary numbers, But many schools and pretty much all employment reports are not an exact reflection of reality. For example, the salary figures are only available for those who have a job. This means that unemployed graduates are not calculated or included.

Example 2: usually, the first ones to get job offers are the strongest candidates who tend to get higher compensation and better jobs. That also skews the numbers depending on when they are collected.

Example 3: The numbers are self-reported and there is a natural motivation for people to inflate their earnings. This seems preposterous but at the same time it seems tempting as nobody wants to be the low earning guy. There is also a motivation to outline the best case scenario because that makes the school ranking better and makes the school look better.

Bottom line, I don’t think employment reports have fake data. However, the data they have does not cover everyone and that creates a view l that is different from what really is happening.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
bb wrote:
Personally, I feel the European schools are a lot less transparent than the US schools and because of a lack of transparency for European schools, the numbers raise more questions and scrutiny. I think it would be awesome to validate some of the salary numbers and assumptions for European schools.

I don’t think MBA programs would be as brazen as to fabricate salary numbers, But many schools and pretty much all employment reports are not an exact reflection of reality. For example, the salary figures are only available for those who have a job. This means that unemployed graduates are not calculated or included.

Example 2: usually, the first ones to get job offers are the strongest candidates who tend to get higher compensation and better jobs. That also skews the numbers depending on when they are collected.

Example 3: The numbers are self-reported and there is a natural motivation for people to inflate their earnings. This seems preposterous but at the same time it seems tempting as nobody wants to be the low earning guy. There is also a motivation to outline the best case scenario because that makes the school ranking better and makes the school look better.

Bottom line, I don’t think employment reports have fake data. However, the data they have does not cover everyone and that creates a view l that is different from what really is happening.

The reality is that some schools don't adjust their ratios by eliminating students who didn't accept a job offer ... because they're starting a company ... or this going to work for the family company. And they should (at least with the self employed).

And ... is a school averaging $125k total compensation at 90% employment AT graduation better than one that averages $127.5k three months AFTER graduation for 88% of the cohort?

Etc.

It's difficult.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51454 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Schools (ones with good reporting) report numbers with ‘graduates seeking employment’ which, in my opinion, acts as a pretty decent indicator.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Schools (ones with good reporting) report numbers with ‘graduates seeking employment’ which, in my opinion, acts as a pretty decent indicator.

Strongly agree ... subject to their simultaneous disclosure of what the ones not seeking employment were actually doing instead of trying to get a job ...

Self employed / starting a business?

Additional graduate school?

Sponsored attendance by current employer?

Depressed at the job market?

Etc...
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51454 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Regenerate wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Strongly agree ... subject to their simultaneous disclosure of what the ones not seeking employment were actually doing instead of trying to get a job ...

Self employed / starting a business?

Additional graduate school?

Sponsored attendance by current employer?

Depressed at the job market?

Etc...

All of the above I think. But also it could be the heir to an oil magnate.

Well, come to think of it, the heir would probably look for a job even harder than other students.
GMAT Club Bot