Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Admission essays - fall 2012 [#permalink]
fxsunny wrote:
Thanks Cheetahrah, very helpful.

On a related note, as I try to id potential recommenders for my application, I could use some help about what type of questions recommenders are typically asked...

Specifically:

- Are they asked to type out a recommendation letter that addresses the overarching 'why do you recommend this candidate' question, or are they asked to fill out an online questionnaire with a multitude of questions ranging from positives, negatives, etc. Are there some templates that schools have used in the past years?

- Are all of my recommenders contacted, or does adcom pick and choose which one to reach out to?

- From a recommenders' perspective, is the process of providing a recommendation purely web-based, or is this a telephonic conversation with someone in adcom?

- Finally, I noticed that some online applications that accept recommendations online through the web, didn't specify how many recommendations they're looking for. Is there a norm?

Your assistance is appreciated,

Regards!

1) It depends on what school you apply to. Most schools have their own recommendation forms with evaluation charts that they want recommenders to fill out. Your recommenders cannot write one letter for you to send to all schools.

2) The initial recommendation is submitted via the online application system. If the admissions committee has a question they will call your recommender. However, this is VERY rare. Once your recommendation is submitted 99.999% of the time the recommender's job is done.

3) Go back and read carefully. Under applications requirements EVERY school says how many recommendations they require and who they should be from (i.e. supervisor, professional, peer, etc.).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: Indiana (Kelley) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 540 Q33 V31
GMAT 2: 650 Q39 V40
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
fxsunny wrote:
Thanks Cheetahrah, very helpful.

On a related note, as I try to id potential recommenders for my application, I could use some help about what type of questions recommenders are typically asked...

Specifically:

- Are they asked to type out a recommendation letter that addresses the overarching 'why do you recommend this candidate' question, or are they asked to fill out an online questionnaire with a multitude of questions ranging from positives, negatives, etc. Are there some templates that schools have used in the past years?

- Are all of my recommenders contacted, or does adcom pick and choose which one to reach out to?

- From a recommenders' perspective, is the process of providing a recommendation purely web-based, or is this a telephonic conversation with someone in adcom?

- Finally, I noticed that some online applications that accept recommendations online through the web, didn't specify how many recommendations they're looking for. Is there a norm?

Your assistance is appreciated,

Regards!

1) It depends on what school you apply to. Most schools have their own recommendation forms with evaluation charts that they want recommenders to fill out. Your recommenders cannot write one letter for you to send to all schools.

2) The initial recommendation is submitted via the online application system. If the admissions committee has a question they will call your recommender. However, this is VERY rare. Once your recommendation is submitted 99.999% of the time the recommender's job is done.

3) Go back and read carefully. Under applications requirements EVERY school says how many recommendations they require and who they should be from (i.e. supervisor, professional, peer, etc.).

Some schools, like Owen, post a copy of the recommenders form on their website. The other schools to which I applied did not. However, I was able to call adCom at the other schools and find out if their recommendation forms followed a similar format. (I did this because my recommenders wanted to know whether they'd have to write a letter, free-form, or fill out a ratings form.)

Also, I've noticed that some of the GMAT club pages for the schools give a lot of information including the questions for the recommenders as well. Once I understood that all of my schools did a rating matrix, I asked my recommenders if they were comfortable with that format, and took it from there.

Also, in my case I chose not to ask my manager for a recommendation because there are too many organizational changes taking place at my job. So in my optional essay for the schools that strongly suggested a recommendation from your current manager/supervisor, I explained why I chose to request one from my team leader and manager's peer rather than my manager. That's my $0.02 of things you might have to consider. Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi fxsunny,
Regarding recommendations, I think in most cases the recommenders should submit their recommendation online. After you register them in your online application they get a link where they can fill in their recommendation.

As for common questions for recommenders, I found an article about MBA recommendations, with some examples of common questions, here is the link if you're interested: https://www.vocaz.com/Recommendations.htm

Cheers,
Ahish
GMAT Club Bot