Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Wharton
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Retail)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Advice about the scratch paper please! [#permalink]
Kudos
No, one pad at a time (at least in the US test centers)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Are you allowed to have a tissue or towel with you to erase the scratch pad as you go ? I work better on a blank sheet for some reason.

Cluttered scratch mind, cluttered scratch pad I suppose.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Send PM
jmr71483 wrote:
Are you allowed to have a tissue or towel with you to erase the scratch pad as you go ? I work better on a blank sheet for some reason.

Cluttered scratch mind, cluttered scratch pad I suppose.

Confirm with the test center, but I'm assuming the answer is no.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The pad and the pen are in a way that if you try to erase, it becomes messy. It is semi-eraseable. They, themselves must use a special substance to erase them. I'm not 100% sure but have read it somewhere. Any guru to clear this up?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Send PM
It is not a dry erase, it requires something wet to clean it off. Water, spit, etc, anything wet and a towel to wipe it up.

Don't bother trying to erase it. Just get another pad when you start running out of space.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Why is it they go through all this trouble to give you a pad when they could simply give you a block of paper and a pen ?!?! You guys advise to get a new pad when it's full, but doesn't this waste a lot of precious time ?? I mean do you have to stand up and go get a new one how can be possible ?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you Mohater and others. Well it is an important, yet usually overlooked issue. We talk about time management and all that while forgetting and the scratch paper thing can waste precious minutes. I know that we need to raise hand before the notepad is full but that also waste time and more importantly concentration. I'm sure even if I ask for another in advance, I'll lose concentration by keeping an eye what the administer is doing now, coming, not coming, waiting for my confirmation,...what? So, has anyone managed to get two pad at the same time in any center?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Kudos
saeedt wrote:
Thank you Mohater and others. Well it is an important, yet usually overlooked issue. We talk about time management and all that while forgetting and the scratch paper thing can waste precious minutes. I know that we need to raise hand before the notepad is full but that also waste time and more importantly concentration. I'm sure even if I ask for another in advance, I'll lose concentration by keeping an eye what the administer is doing now, coming, not coming, waiting for my confirmation,...what? So, has anyone managed to get two pad at the same time in any center?

I asked for two pads and two pens. But they would only give me two pens (which I would highly advise asking for as they reuse these pens and they often will run out of ink)

But in regards to the notebook, just request a new one at the beginning of each section and you should be fine. Even after AWA, if you've only used 1 page, I'd still ask for a new one at the first and second break in order to maximize your writing space for the quant section.

As long as you practice at home writing/working out problems in an organized fashion, 1 notebook for each section should be fine. I mentally divided each page into blocks of 4-6...so I would be able to solve 4-6 problems on each page. The pages are pretty big, so again, as long as you don't write sloppy and all over the place you'll be fine.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MDF wrote:
saeedt wrote:

I asked for two pads and two pens. But they would only give me two pens (which I would highly advise asking for as they reuse these pens and they often will run out of ink)

But in regards to the notebook, just request a new one at the beginning of each section and you should be fine. Even after AWA, if you've only used 1 page, I'd still ask for a new one at the first and second break in order to maximize your writing space for the quant section.

As long as you practice at home writing/working out problems in an organized fashion, 1 notebook for each section should be fine. I mentally divided each page into blocks of 4-6...so I would be able to solve 4-6 problems on each page. The pages are pretty big, so again, as long as you don't write sloppy and all over the place you'll be fine.

Thanks. Great advice about pen. Yes, running out of notepad is your own choice but running out of ink must be tragic. Does anyone know the exact size of the scratch paper they give us?
GMAT Club Bot