It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 21:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice needed for GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Advice needed for GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 20:35
Hey everyone - I am currently studying for the GMAT right now and would like some advice, motivation and all of the above.

Background: I took a GMAT exam a month ago and scored a whopping 500 (Q31, Q28, IR 5) after "studying" for about 2-3 months. I will admit that I don't think I spent quality time studying since I am also working full time. I cancelled my score and took a few weeks off. During those weeks, I examined to see where I went wrong and while I can think of multiple things, I wanted to figure out what I could do to make my next one go much better.

Things I did wrong:
- Went back and forth between multiple books (Kaplan then Manhattan then Magoosh then Online articles) without really sticking to one.
- Did not take enough practice exams (took 3) - 480, 500, 520 (Q34, V27)
- Did not time myself enough while during problems
- Did not keep an error log

I decided to spend $1299 on the online Manhattan GMAT prep course because I think working with a schedule with a class and instructor will help me keep me on track. My course starts this upcoming Saturday so I've been focusing on the foundations the last few weeks (using Manhattan's Foundations of Quant and Foundations of Verbal books). I took a practice exam last week via GMATPREP and scored a 480. I went through each one that I got wrong and worked through it but I am not sure I am getting it. I have another 2-3 months to spend on this but I really want to make sure that I am 100% focused.

* I plan to use only Manhattan Prep books (+ OG) this time. Is that a bad idea?
* Does it get easier if I do more problems? How do I make sure it's quality work? Should I just focus on questions from OG or try to also do Magoosh problems?
* While it would be nice to be in the 700 club or even 680 for that matter, I am aiming for 640+ at a minimum. How realistic is it given I have about 3 months to spend?
* Anyone jump 120+ points?
* When I went through Foundations of Math, everything seemed simple but trying to decipher what they're asking on a PS or DS question, I get stuck. Any advice there?
* Has anyone taken the Manhatttan GMAT Course? Any tips to be successful?

Let me know what other questions I can answer. Any help is appreciated :)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
D

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Advice needed for GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 11:00
toshpoint0 wrote:
Hey everyone - I am currently studying for the GMAT right now and would like some advice, motivation and all of the above.

Background: I took a GMAT exam a month ago and scored a whopping 500 (Q31, Q28, IR 5) after "studying" for about 2-3 months. I will admit that I don't think I spent quality time studying since I am also working full time. I cancelled my score and took a few weeks off. During those weeks, I examined to see where I went wrong and while I can think of multiple things, I wanted to figure out what I could do to make my next one go much better.

Things I did wrong:
- Went back and forth between multiple books (Kaplan then Manhattan then Magoosh then Online articles) without really sticking to one.
- Did not take enough practice exams (took 3) - 480, 500, 520 (Q34, V27)
- Did not time myself enough while during problems
- Did not keep an error log

I decided to spend $1299 on the online Manhattan GMAT prep course because I think working with a schedule with a class and instructor will help me keep me on track. My course starts this upcoming Saturday so I've been focusing on the foundations the last few weeks (using Manhattan's Foundations of Quant and Foundations of Verbal books). I took a practice exam last week via GMATPREP and scored a 480. I went through each one that I got wrong and worked through it but I am not sure I am getting it. I have another 2-3 months to spend on this but I really want to make sure that I am 100% focused.

* I plan to use only Manhattan Prep books (+ OG) this time. Is that a bad idea?
* Does it get easier if I do more problems? How do I make sure it's quality work? Should I just focus on questions from OG or try to also do Magoosh problems?
* While it would be nice to be in the 700 club or even 680 for that matter, I am aiming for 640+ at a minimum. How realistic is it given I have about 3 months to spend?
* Anyone jump 120+ points?
* When I went through Foundations of Math, everything seemed simple but trying to decipher what they're asking on a PS or DS question, I get stuck. Any advice there?
* Has anyone taken the Manhatttan GMAT Course? Any tips to be successful?

Let me know what other questions I can answer. Any help is appreciated :)

Now that you have enrolled into the course, please follow the MGMAT study plan. do the concept learning and practice of questions in order they advise you. It will help you keep the routine and save your time.

My personal advice points apart from whatever you will be instructed by amazing MGMAT course and isntructors:
1. revise revise revise.
2. never make the same mistake again.
3. try to catch how gmat makes a question difficult even when the question was based on the same very simple concept that you always knew :)
4. if you do 5 questions instead of 10 that's fine but doing 10 questions and not learning everything from even 5 questions would be a blunder. simply, do less BUT learn more.

Happy prep :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 113

Re: Advice needed for GMAT   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2017, 11:00

Advice needed for GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap