Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:27 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 801 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4101 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: ADVICE NEEDED GMAT - 740 [#permalink]
congratulations for score of 740 ,.. sure you do have bright chances in getting admission of any B school of your choice.
all the best for applications
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Advitya wrote:
I scored a 740 on the GMAT this month and am eyeing the top B-schools in the US. I want to do an MBA to switch careers to finance.
I do not have any prior experience in finance except for a 6-month Internship which I did in my final year of college. Currently, I am working for a small company based in Sharjah (UAE) and will have 3 years of experience by the time I apply for college this year.

Though I would have preferred working for some time and then moving on to an MBA but getting a job/internship in Finance without any background is difficult here in the UAE.

I understand that my work experience might create problems in my application but I really want to give it a shot this year. What should I do?

Here is my Linkedin profile:
advitya-sapra-73840a15a (Unfortunately, GMAT Club does not let you put the complete URL but there is only 1 Advitya Sapra with a profile picture on Linkedin)

My college picks (in no specific order)
1. Cornell Johnson
2. Dartmouth Tuck
3. Michigan Ross
4. NYU Stern

Hi Advitya,
I just want to ask for clarification.
You have 3 years of post-Bachelor's work experience in a non-finance role and have a 6 month long in-school internship experience in Finance.

If that is the case, I don't see any reason why that will create an issue in application. As an MBA myself, I know people join absolutely anything they want to/can post-MBA.

I think you've got solid chances in your schools. Just that you picked 2 consulting schools and 2 finance schools. School selection is crucial.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Advitya wrote:
I scored a 740 on the GMAT this month and am eyeing the top B-schools in the US. I want to do an MBA to switch careers to finance.
I do not have any prior experience in finance except for a 6-month Internship which I did in my final year of college. Currently, I am working for a small company based in Sharjah (UAE) and will have 3 years of experience by the time I apply for college this year.

Though I would have preferred working for some time and then moving on to an MBA but getting a job/internship in Finance without any background is difficult here in the UAE.

I understand that my work experience might create problems in my application but I really want to give it a shot this year. What should I do?

advitya-sapra-73840a15a (Unfortunately, GMAT Club does not let you put the complete URL but there is only 1 Advitya Sapra with a profile picture on Linkedin)

1. Cornell Johnson
2. Dartmouth Tuck
3. Michigan Ross
4. NYU Stern

Hey Advitya,

You have got a great score and decent international experience which should position you quite well for the upcoming admission cycle. Don't sweat too much on the 3 years work experience since all programs calculate the same till the time of attendance and hence you would have close to 4 years (by the time you attend the program) which would be roughly in the median range of work experience.
Coming to your aspiration of pursuing a career in Finance, as already mentioned above Investment Banking tends to be the most opted route for business school graduates although its can be quite strenuous given its demanding nature and lack of work life balance. For these roles, most banks look at grades, technical knowledge, quant abilities and a broader fit. IB jobs entails extensive networking so it helps being close to the centers of NY, Chicago or SF.
Outside IB, there will be some general finance roles with banks or even corporates which will look at your prior experience in finance over and above your technical knowledge. PE/VCs roles are generally out of reach for most international students as fund typically tend to have a strong preference for domestic candidates.
In terms or you selection, would probably swap a Ross with Duke Fuqua / Kenan Flagler and maybe add a Darden in as well.

Hope this helps!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 616 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
ADVICE NEEDED GMAT - 740 [#permalink]
Advitya wrote:

1. Cornell Johnson
2. Dartmouth Tuck
3. Michigan Ross
4. NYU Stern

Hi Advitya hope this finds you well

You have a good GMAT score and a premium academic pedigree. Your profile is very impressive overall (i did go through your Linkedin).

You have not specified the type of finance role you are interested in pursuing. It is important to invest time in researching the specific roles that appeal to you. From a practical standpoint, relocating to India and seeking opportunities to showcase your passion and effort to transition into finance would have been a beneficial step. This could have made it easier for you to secure internships at top finance-focused US business schools.

Given your strong analytical background and undergraduate brand, roles in financial planning and analysis (FP&A) should not be difficult to obtain. Alternatively, you could have targeted consulting roles with a focus on financial analysis or equity research. These roles would have provided networking opportunities to potentially transition into beginner PE/VC positions. However, this is something to consider if you are willing to wait. Alternatively, you can demonstrate your willingness and flexibility to Top B schools to take on roles in the beginner scope and eventually build your career in a new industry.

Your choice of schools is good however you would have to be very strategic in how your phrase your goals.
My advice is to conduct your own research and maintain a comprehensive log of your discussions with students and alumni who are currently making/ have made similar transitions and come from your demographic. It is easier to take advice from a third party, but it holds more weight when it comes from someone who has firsthand experience as an MBA student and alumnus and understands the ground reality.

Personalized advice tailored to your specific situation is just a phone call or message away. Do not hesitate to reach out to us if you need help navigating your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process.

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com

Originally posted by MBAGuide on 19 Jun 2023, 01:36.
Last edited by MBAGuide on 18 Jul 2023, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Advitya wrote:

1. Cornell Johnson
2. Dartmouth Tuck
3. Michigan Ross
4. NYU Stern

1. You may have some understanding of Finance, but schools (esp the ones you have shortlisted WILL want you to at least have a mature understanding of Finance <or any field you want to make it into>, in order to render your career goals as a mature choice, and not just something that is a highly coveted route for most MBA aspirants. Unfortunately, from your writing above, it does not seem like you have a good understanding of the domain of finance. It will be critical to have a compelling story to answer the unasked question of WHY finance in your applications.
2. While your overall GMAT is a good starting point, there's a lot more you will need to show, to demonstrate your tenacity, your networking abilities etc. Your answers and your LORs will be critical to help you scale the gap.
3. Demonstrating Leadership (usually in your extra Curriculars) will also matter immensely, even more so, because your work Ex is on the lower side (3 years at the time of filling in). Remember, Leadership is NOT the same as Managerial experience.

All in all, given your current scenario, you will need to have a very strong application, esp with your career goals.
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Advitya,

Congratulations on your GMAT score! I understand that you want to switch careers to finance and are concerned about your limited finance experience and work experience duration. While it can be challenging to switch careers without prior experience, it's not impossible, especially if you can showcase your transferable skills and a genuine passion for finance. Here are a few tips from our experts that can help you strengthen your application.

* Highlight Transferable Skills: Focus on highlighting the skills and experiences from your current role that are relevant to finance. These could include analytical skills, problem-solving abilities, teamwork, leadership, and any exposure you've had to financial analysis or decision-making in your current role.

* Leverage your Internship: Even though your internship was in your final year of college, you can still emphasize the finance-related tasks and projects you worked on during that time. Highlight any achievements or learning outcomes from that experience and connect them to your career goals.

* Seek Additional Finance Exposure: Look for opportunities to gain more exposure to finance, even if it's outside your current job. You could consider taking online courses or certifications in finance, participating in financial modeling competitions, or volunteering for finance-related projects in your community. These experiences will show your commitment to the field and can be valuable additions to your application.

* Network and Informational Interviews: Reach out to professionals working in the finance industry, either through LinkedIn or other networking platforms. Request informational interviews to gain insights into the industry, demonstrate your interest, and potentially make connections that can support your career transition. These interactions can also provide you with valuable content for your application essays.

* Strong Essays and Recommendations: Use your application essays to articulate your passion for finance and your ability to transition successfully into the field. Explain how your current experiences and skills have prepared you for this transition and how an MBA from your target schools will bridge the gap. Secure strong letters of recommendation that speak to your potential, work ethic, and ability to succeed in a finance-related role.

Regarding your college picks, Cornell Johnson, Dartmouth Tuck, Michigan Ross, and NYU Stern are all excellent choices for finance. However, it's essential to thoroughly research each program to understand its strengths, curriculum, resources, and alumni network in finance. Tailor your application materials to demonstrate your fit with each school's offerings and culture.

Remember, while your work experience might be on the shorter side, it's not the only factor that schools consider. Your GMAT score, academic performance, essays, recommendations, and demonstrated passion for finance can all contribute to a compelling application. We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week .

We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Book a free profile evaluation call now!

Good luck with your application process!
Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

Advitya wrote:

1. Cornell Johnson
2. Dartmouth Tuck
3. Michigan Ross
4. NYU Stern
Admit Expert Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Advitya wrote:

1. Cornell Johnson
2. Dartmouth Tuck
3. Michigan Ross
4. NYU Stern

Hi Advitya,

Yes, you can switch to a career in finance post-MBA given your background and interests.

Academics: Minor in Finance can show building your interest and knowledge in finance.

Work Experience: Current work seems to be into sales, procurement and development. You can use this to show your ability to handle business operations and work with clients, which are valuable in finance. Your internships can be used to show your interest in the finance domain too.

CFA Level 2: This is a positive aspect and this increase your chances of selling your transition into a finance role.

Most importantly, you seem to show a genuine interest in making this transition. If you can communicate this well in your applciations, you should be able to make it. An MBA can bridge the gaps you have and help you land your dream role in finance.

Try to connect with alumni with profiles similar to yours to get details on their experiences. Stay updated on finance industry trends and keep upgrading yourself. Remember to create compelling essays that highlight your interest in finance, your qualifications or transferable skills for it, your need for the specific program and your fit with the program.

For a more detailed 1-1 strategy session, please write to contactus@admitexpert.com or fill the form at http://www.admitexpert.com

Good luck!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Advitya, here is your Profile Evaluation! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Advitya wrote:

1. Cornell Johnson
2. Dartmouth Tuck
3. Michigan Ross
4. NYU Stern

Hey Advitya,

With an impressive GMAT score of 740, you've caught the attention of admissions committees. Highlight this achievement in your application to demonstrate your academic aptitude for an MBA program.

To address your limited finance experience, enrol in online finance courses or certifications like CFA level 1 and seek finance-related projects in your current role. Use your relatively short internship experience to showcase acquired skills relevant to finance, such as financial analysis and problem-solving.

Remember that the gmat is just 1/4th of your application. The rest depends on your essays, SOPs, LORs and work experience. So you need to work on crafting the best one.

Strong recommendation letters can compensate for your limited experience, so choose recommenders who can speak to your potential, work ethic, and leadership qualities. Craft a compelling career goals essay that articulates your passion for finance, connects your prior experiences to your decision to switch careers, and aligns with each B-school's strengths. Network with alumni and current students for valuable insights and potential references.

Thoroughly research each B-school's programs and tailor your application to showcase alignment with their values and offerings. Emphasise your academic abilities, leadership potential, extracurricular involvement, and overall fit with the program to strengthen your application.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Coaching
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Complete CFA LEVEL 3 ASAP
Your international experience and GMAT score are a plus.
You'll need to come up with a strong convincing narrative in your essays for the switch to Finance. Innovative Fin-Tech Entrepreneurial ideas could be one way to stick out.
With your tech background, MFin could be an easier option to convince - Sloan, Anderson, Haas et al
Alternately, If you insist on an MBA now, you should be Looking at Wharton, Booth, Columbia, Stern, Sloan.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1048 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Advitya wrote:

1. Cornell Johnson
2. Dartmouth Tuck
3. Michigan Ross
4. NYU Stern

Hey Advitya,
Congrats on a great score. You are good to go with three years of experience. Although most schools have average work ex around 5ish years, you're not out of contention because of your lesser years of experience. Also, transitioning to Finance without any prior background is possible. At Ross, there are many people who successfully recruited into Finance functions without any prior background. So, you can take solace in that. R1 is just around the corner, so I would say skip this round and apply in R2 with solid applications. The chances of getting in are identical in both. Wish you the best.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
Advitya wrote:

1. Cornell Johnson
2. Dartmouth Tuck
3. Michigan Ross
4. NYU Stern

Hello Advitya,

Apologies for a delayed response.

Your GMAT score and international exposure will prove to be advantageous. However, making the switch to finance, though possible, will not be straightforward. You have not spoken in great detail about your role in Sharjah; however, you will definitely need to bank on showcasing such qualities that demonstrate your potential to pursue a career in finance.

There is no harm in giving it a shot; but, make it a well-researched effort.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot