GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 09 Apr 2020, 20:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Advice regarding mfin

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Advice regarding mfin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2020, 10:57
I am a second year undergraduate student aiming to get into a top MFin program in the US/UK. I wanted to know which colleges I may stand a decent chance at.
Also, do you think I stand a chance at any decent deferred MBA Program?
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Nationality - Indian
Major - Finance at India's rank 1 University for business
GPA - 3.3 ~ top 10%
GMAT - 730
Work exp -
2 months with the ruling political party (electoral strategy)
2 months with a domestic wealth management fund (finance)
3 months with an educational start up (management and strategy)
3 months with a fintench startup (strategy role)
The coming summer, I may intern at a domestic VC or a domestic Asset management company.
Great LORs
Languages - English, Hindi, French (basic)
Scored highly in quant and finance subjects.

If someone did read till here, thank you :)
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Re: Advice regarding mfin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 13:02
Karam12345 wrote:
I am a second year undergraduate student aiming to get into a top MFin program in the US/UK. I wanted to know which colleges I may stand a decent chance at.
Also, do you think I stand a chance at any decent deferred MBA Program?
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Nationality - Indian
Major - Finance at India's rank 1 University for business
GPA - 3.3 ~ top 10%
GMAT - 730
Work exp -
2 months with the ruling political party (electoral strategy)
2 months with a domestic wealth management fund (finance)
3 months with an educational start up (management and strategy)
3 months with a fintench startup (strategy role)
The coming summer, I may intern at a domestic VC or a domestic Asset management company.
Great LORs
Languages - English, Hindi, French (basic)
Scored highly in quant and finance subjects.

If someone did read till here, thank you :)

Hi, Have you done any research on B-Schools? If not do some research and shortlist 4-5 schools. For your score, you will have more chances to get admission to top 20 schools also. All the best.
Admissionado
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Advice regarding mfin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2020, 19:37
Hi Karam12345,

Thanks for sharing your profile with us! The key question you need to figure out is what your short-term (up to 5 years) and long-term (15+ years) career goals are following graduate school. That will help guide your decision to pursue a masters in finance versus an MBA. While there's some overlap in the types of jobs and career paths that you can pursue with an MFin compared to an MBA, there are important distinctions to keep in mind. An MFin may be a better fit if you want to pursue academia or if you envision a career in finance that's on the more technical side (such as being a financial advisor), but an MBA can give you more flexibility if you are interested in general management, consulting, or fields outside of finance.

For both degrees, your academic credentials (undergraduate GPA and standardized exam scores) are certainly important (you're in great shape there), but so are your future professional plans (per above). Deferred MBA programs in particular look for leadership potential, which you can demonstrate through extracurricular activities or work experience, whereas MFin programs will be more focused on academics. The work experiences that you listed are certainly impressive, but they also strike me as somewhat scattered and unfocused -- it's difficult to see where your strongest interests lie, because you've worked in several very different environments that don't share much common ground. While breadth of experience has value, graduate programs will be looking for applicants who demonstrate a clear sense of direction and purpose, which I think may be your biggest challenge to articulate.

Once you have a clear picture of the above, putting together your target school list will be the relatively easy part! We'd be happy to help in that regard if you'd like to reach out to us at www.admissionado.com. Best of luck!

Doris

Advice regarding mfin

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado