GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 12:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

After 10 years work ex - Career Switcher or consulting

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
CAT Tests
After 10 years work ex - Career Switcher or consulting  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 01:59
Hi,

I am an Indian female with 10 years of work experience in Energy sector. I am from Project Management background. My GMAT is 690. I am applying to 3 schools in USA - Fisher, W.P Carey ASU & Smeal MBA Penn state .
For my goals I am juggling with 2 options.
1.Option -Supply chain in E-Commerce industry
Issue Faced - Role is quite relevant to the work I do (Transferable Skills) but i donot have strong personal motivation for industry switch. Most of the info is general like fast paced - upcoming in India etc etc.

2 Option - Supply chain and manufacturing operations function in consulting industry.
Issue faced = I have client experience and skills relevant to the profile but then I am not from a hard core consulting background. Also writing consulting after 10 years work ex - Is it advisable.

Pls help. I am really stressed out here!
Thanks.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: After 10 years work ex - Career Switcher or consulting  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 12:53
Hi nitikat1,

Thanks for reaching out and I understand the dilemma you're in. Deciding on your post-MBA goals is a fine balance between choosing something that's realistic but also something that is ambitious and warrants an MBA! Either of the options you shared seems plausible. On Option 2, you don't need consulting experience to work in consulting, especially if you are targeting more specialized / boutique firms like within supply chain, they will be more open to experienced candidates. You will need to be able to demonstrate that you've done your research on consulting and identified target firms where your background would be a good fit, and be able to explain how you're preparing to make that switch. It's also a big lifestyle change (travel, long hours) to go into consulting so you'll want to show you recognize that and are excited about that. On Option 1, if you're not passionate about E-Commerce, then I don't see a reason to make that your focus. I think it will be easy for admissions to see through that story and you should go with the goal that you are most personally motivated for (within reason of course!).

Hope this helps,
Kate

nitikat1 wrote:
Hi,

I am an Indian female with 10 years of work experience in Energy sector. I am from Project Management background. My GMAT is 690. I am applying to 3 schools in USA - Fisher, W.P Carey ASU & Smeal MBA Penn state .
For my goals I am juggling with 2 options.
1.Option -Supply chain in E-Commerce industry
Issue Faced - Role is quite relevant to the work I do (Transferable Skills) but i donot have strong personal motivation for industry switch. Most of the info is general like fast paced - upcoming in India etc etc.

2 Option - Supply chain and manufacturing operations function in consulting industry.
Issue faced = I have client experience and skills relevant to the profile but then I am not from a hard core consulting background. Also writing consulting after 10 years work ex - Is it advisable.

Pls help. I am really stressed out here!
Thanks.

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

After 10 years work ex - Career Switcher or consulting

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap