GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 17:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 12:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (01:34) correct 64% (01:29) wrong based on 357 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children although many stated that they will feel less satisfied with their lives.

(A) After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children although many stated that they will

(B) After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believe that they would probably be happier without children although many stated that they would

(C) Psychologists, having reviewed a recent survey into parenthood, claimed that the majority of parents believed that they will probably be happier without children although many stated that they would

(D) Having reviewed a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children; nevertheless, many stated that they would

(E) Upon reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children although many state that they would

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Intern
Intern
Re: After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 03:00
I am confused between option B and D. How to eliminate B?
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 03:18
gmatguy16 wrote:

B uses the wrong thense with "believe". Mind as a general rule for reported speech: Once in the past, always in the past. Use the same tense in reported speech.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Boston U '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 03:46
After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children although many stated that they will feel less satisfied with their lives.

A. After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children although many stated that they will

B. After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believe that they would probably be happier without children although many stated that they would

C. Psychologists, having reviewed a recent survey into parenthood, claimed that the majority of parents believed that they will probably be happier without children although many stated that they would

D. Having reviewed a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children; nevertheless, many stated that they would

E. Upon reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children although many state that they would

Hard-work, Perseverance and Commitment.....

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 06:57
reto wrote:
gmatguy16 wrote:

B uses the wrong thense with "believe". Mind as a general rule for reported speech: Once in the past, always in the past. Use the same tense in reported speech.

Could you please explain more ?
Believed that.....would .....would
Believe that ....will ...will
is this correct?

Could please tell me, why although is incorrect?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 19:10
Hi

Would is used in the cases of "Future Past" and will is used in the cases of "Simple future".
Here the key word is "believed"."Psychologists claimed that the couple believed".The action has begun in the past indicated by "claimed" and the couple predict something that they believe is true,a classical case of future past.
Hope I am clear

Cheers!!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V40

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 20:35
For similar type problems around sequence of tenses, try searching for Magoosh's article on Sequence of Tenses. I cannot post links yet; however, I did want to share that information as I found it very helpful during prep to better understand tenses in statement of fact sentences.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 20:40
Hello all,
I am still confuse regarding usage of will and would here in B and D.
Can you please explain once again
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V40

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 20:59
Abhishake22

This is an indirect speech sentence. The future tense in this type of sentence uses a subjunctive for a hypothetical future: (will do Z) becomes (would do Z). Take a look at my previous comment and search for that article. It provides a great debrief on the structure of indirect speech sentences.
VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 22:10
reto wrote:

A. After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children although many stated that they will

B. After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believe that they would probably be happier without children although many stated that they would

C. Psychologists, having reviewed a recent survey into parenthood, claimed that the majority of parents believed that they will probably be happier without children although many stated that they would

D. Having reviewed a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children; nevertheless, many stated that they would

E. Upon reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children although many state that they would

I choose D because the parallelism in tensese : believed, would, stated, would. we need to maintain the parallelism intense beteen two paralel content. But

d has a problem
the independent clause after semicolon is considered paralel grammatically with the main clause , psychologist claimes. this is not logci

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 03:22
Can 'believe' in choice B represent an action that is the fact?
IMO, data from the survey is the fact. If you come back to the data from survey, it will tell you the same.
Or we cannot mix the tenses. I am confused now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Schools: Dartmouth College
After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 04:58
I am not a fan of the OA.
The default referent for a subject pronoun is the PRECEDING SUBJECT.
OA: Psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children; nevertheless, many stated that they would feel less satisfied with their lives.
Here, many is a subject pronoun for stated.
Thus, the default referent for many is psychologists -- the main subject of the preceding clause -- especially since many stated and psychologists claimed are parallel constructions.
However, the intended referent for many is parents.
I recommend that you focus on other SCs.

GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 20:38
Shouldn't believe that be better than believed that, even though the survey is old, the belief would still be there like a fact and hence we should use Simple present. Gmat NINJA
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 05:45

believe and stated should be parallel, which is not the case here. Believe is the simple present whereas stated is simple past. Both these verbs take the same subject : parents. So, we can eliminate B.
After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed &nbs [#permalink] 24 Aug 2018, 05:45

After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap