GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2019, 22:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Age a factor in pursing MBA?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.93
WE: Consulting (Other)
Age a factor in pursing MBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 16:11
Hi fellow humanity,

I am starting to prepare for my GMAT. However, i keep on thinking if I have passed the right age to do an MBA. I am 29 years old, a manager within the Big 4. Based on my social circle, I feel I am at least 3-4 years late. Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 17:16
If it makes you feel any better, I am 31 and my exam is in 11 days (gulp). I've been severely underemployed (by the admission of all of my previous bosses, including my current one) and more importantly to me, severely underpaid for years now. My career trajectory/title means little to me (outside of helping to be able to get into B-School) - the amount of money I make at my job is everything to me. I've given up hope on ever getting to do work that I enjoy, so it became a binary question to me: assuming I will always hate the type of work that I do, would I rather have more money or less money? The choice became simple to me after that. If I can somehow get paid well and find work that is fulfilling to me - well, that would just be the ultimate cherry on top.

I've had job interviews in the past at companies that I've dreamed of working at where the recruiters told me that I couldn't have really interviewed any better but that the hiring manager would likely not give me any real consideration without an MBA from a top 15 program. You already work at a prestigious firm so the way you view the value the MBA may be radically different than from the way I do - which is to say, a lot of this is subjective and very much an introspective consideration.
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: HBS '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GRE 1: Q168 V164
GPA: 3.57
Re: Age a factor in pursing MBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 19:28
TheGoodGuy wrote:
Hi fellow humanity,

I am starting to prepare for my GMAT. However, i keep on thinking if I have passed the right age to do an MBA. I am 29 years old, a manager within the Big 4. Based on my social circle, I feel I am at least 3-4 years late. Any thoughts?

No. You have not not passed the age for MBA. There are many MBA students in their forties (40s).
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 19:34
houston1980 wrote:
TheGoodGuy wrote:
Hi fellow humanity,

No. You have not not passed the age for MBA. There are many MBA students in their forties (40s).

Which programs are you referring to? EMBA?

I believe OP was talking about FT MBA which does start looking at your age in early thirties as a detriment. Ideally you would apply before 31 to a US FT Top 20 program.

If you go lower in rankings or outside of the US, the cut off becomes closer to 35.

-B.

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Re: Age a factor in pursing MBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2018, 02:45
Hi, TheGoodGuy

You don’t have to be worried about your age. Actually, there is no ‘right age’ to do an MBA. Anyone can work on GMAT, pass it and do an MBA. Especially, the majority of the students in North-East Asia(China, Korea, Japan) who study GMAT and build an MBA career are in their 30s, since they should have business experiences for years. As for American, they usually start on their GMAT studying after graduation (26-29). But you have to keep in mind that there are a lot of exceptions and you’d better not obsessed with those kind of data. Some students who are in their forties work on GMAT for Executive MBA, because they think that life is too long to have one job, work in one company and they try to make a new career. So, put your mind at ease. You didn’t pass the age and won’t pass the age later on.

Please let us know if you have further questions.
You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach,
Good luck!
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Age a factor in pursing MBA?   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2018, 02:45

Age a factor in pursing MBA?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep