Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q39 V34
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: All I need is a Q40... How do I get there? [#permalink]
bbednar wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
bbednar wrote:
I have taken several full length CAT's and so far my verbal score is consistently going up on each test, scoring a V38 on the last one I took. My quant score on the other hand has gone down about 2 points each time, and on the last one it was a miserable Q26.

My target score is between 630 and 650, and I realized if i can maintain my Verbal score, and just get my quant up to just the 50th percentile (which I believe is a Q40) then I will be at my goal.
I think there is some fundamental error in my approach, because a Q40 really shouldn't be too difficult to attain.
I think that I have been trying to do too much "math" and not enough reasoning on the quant, so if anyone has great strategies for approaching the problems I would much appreciate it.

Can you also talk about what materials for both verbal and quant have you used , how have you studied till now (book heavy approach, online videos etc) so that the experts can take all things into consideration while providing you various tips and strategies.

As for quant, you can check out GMATCLUB's math book at gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html

Various problems types have been categorized as "tags" at viewforumtags.php

Feel free to search for a question and then even post a new question (that has not been discussed before) and the experts will reply to your questions.

Thanks, I edited my original post to describe my method up to this point

The strategies you talk about are the ones you need in reality. Your goal of reaching Q40 is a realistic one, by applying the same analytical approach to questions that you apply while solving verbal questions.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi bbednar,

I'd like to know a bit more about the work that you've done so far:

1) How long have you studied?
2) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
3) Have you taken the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
4) Do you have trouble finishing the Quant section on time (and do you have to guess on a bunch of questions just to finish?)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618751 [0]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Expert Reply
bbednar wrote:
I have taken several full length CAT's and so far my verbal score is consistently going up on each test, scoring a V38 on the last one I took. My quant score on the other hand has gone down about 2 points each time, and on the last one it was a miserable Q26.

My target score is between 630 and 650, and I realized if i can maintain my Verbal score, and just get my quant up to just the 50th percentile (which I believe is a Q40) then I will be at my goal.
I think there is some fundamental error in my approach, because a Q40 really shouldn't be too difficult to attain.
I think that I have been trying to do too much "math" and not enough reasoning on the quant, so if anyone has great strategies for approaching the problems I would much appreciate it.

So far my approach has been spending about 1 hour every weekday and 4-5 hours on weekends, I study from a book (i signed up for a course with Princeton review) and then do practice questions relevant to what I read in the book. I haven't really watched many videos. It seems like learning strategies (ballparking, plugging in numbers or answers, etc.) have had the greatest impact and been by far the most helpful for me.

I plan to take the real GMAT in 1 month.

Check the following posts:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
How to Improve Your Timing on the GMAT
Improving from 30-35 to 40-44
Improving from 44 to 50
How to Go From a 48 to 51 in GMAT Quant

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the tips everyone,

I took a CAT this morning but I only did the Quant section and skipped everything else, I was very encouraged to see that I got a Q37.

I realize its not completley accurate having skipped everything else, but I was still very happy to see that! I think my goal might be more attainable than I thought!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi bbednar,

While it's encouraging that you can potentially score higher in the Quant section, there is a reality to Test Day that you cannot avoid. By doing anything unrealistic during practice (in this case, skipping the Essay and IR sections), you create an unrealistic situation (and end up with a score result that is almost certainly unrealistic). As such, we simply cannot take this result as completely accurate.

If you're still planning to take the GMAT in 1 month, then you MUST put an emphasis on studying in a realistic fashion (and training properly for the Test Day "event" that you're going to face).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts