GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2019, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

All of the cells in a particular plant start out with the same

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Organizational Behavior
GRE 1: Q168 V167
GPA: 3.85
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Re: All of the cells in a particular plant start out with the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2019, 15:05
JDF wrote:
I have a real problem with the answer for 6.

OA is C. There is no acceptable definition of the word “artificial” that makes this answer choice correct.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi JDF,

You can find the correct answer for question 6 here:

Unlike the oligosaccharins, the five well-known plant hormones are pleiotropic rather than specific; that is, each has more than one effect on the growth and development of plants. The five has so many simultaneous effects that they are not very useful in artificially controlling the growth of crops.

This part of the passage says that oligosaccharins are specific while those five hormones are NOT specific but pleiotropic. Pleiotropic means that these five hormones don’t affect specific aspects of crops, but they have many different simultaneous effects (such as growing shoots, roots, vascular system, etc.). Because of pleiotropic nature, these five hormones cannot be used to artificially control the growth of the crop. We can infer that in order to artificially control the growth (growth is one of specific aspects of crop’s development) we need something SPECIFIC, namely oligosaccharins. C exactly gives this answer.

Was it helpful?
G
Re: All of the cells in a particular plant start out with the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 20:34
ShukhratJon wrote:
gmatconqueror2018 wrote:
I struggled to find the correct answers even after pausing the time and looking carefully into the passage. Probably the hardest passage anyone would encounter on the actual test. Never seen anything this complex before. Doesn't help that the answer choices sound very similar to one another as well.

Hi gmatconqueror2018,

Let me share my thoughts on this passage. I managed the passage in 09:08 and all my answers were correct. Initially, this type of passage was a nightmare of mine and I was in the same situation as you are in now. However, now I am doing pretty well on passages on anatomy and biology. What I did was to translate all the details of such passages and visualize the hormonal processes described in them. I googled hormones, enzymes, genes, chemical messengers, etc. and spent some time studying how they work. Pictures and videos about cells and their parts are easy to follow and memorize. Yes, all this took some time but it was both interesting and worth all the effort. Just translating and understanding are not enough. I also wanted to be able to visualize all the process described because thus I could easily memorize all new terms with their interrelation. As soon as I learnt a few passages this way, I became really comfortable with such passages. GMAT mostly uses the same terminology for such passages even if processes describes in them are different.

Actually, this tactic works well with passages in every topic. I read about feminism and especially about cosmos. Writings of Stephen Hopkins were really helpful. Vocabulary of his works seemed to be tough but I had to learn the terminology because I meet these words in RC a lot. On top, learning all new words I meet in RC is hugely helpful because thus I understand the passage fast, don’t have to read it twice, and memorize it easily so that I can answer questions without going back to it.

I hope I wrote at least something useful for you. Have a good day.

yes i do this, thanks Jon for vindicating,

sometimes u wont believe i do this for cr and sc . as these facts are genuine helps me to know things better. But for RC i will take this as direction . i will read more keenly . thanks.. so ur suggestion is INitiallally take ur time to read visualise , even for answer choices i am doing the same. Once i get the pattern i will start speeding up the process. Did i grokked it well Jon?

thanks
GMAT Club Bot
Re: All of the cells in a particular plant start out with the same   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2019, 20:34

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

All of the cells in a particular plant start out with the same

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics