Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [6]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Send PM
Re: All of the following conclusions are based upon accurate expense vouch [#permalink]
EXACTULY!

ANSWER IS B

GD JOB FOR A STRANG QUESTION
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
Re: All of the following conclusions are based upon accurate expense vouch [#permalink]
luminos24, your analysis was great and really helpfull to understand this problem. Thanks again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Send PM
tonglin wrote:
the QA is B

Hi Tonglin, what is the source of this question pls.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1538 [0]
Send PM
I think this comes from ARCO. I vaguely recall seeing it there.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4447 [0]
Send PM
awesome question and explanation.

Thanks all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
All of the following conclusions are based upon accurate vouchers submitted by employees to department heads of a certain corporation in 1995. Which of them is LEAST likely to be weakened by the discovery of additional 1995 expense vouchers?

A. The accounting department had only 15 employees and claimed expenses of at least $500.
B. The sales department had at least 25 employees and claimed expenses of at least $35,000.
C. The legal department had at least 2 employees and claimed no more than $3000 in expenses.
D. The public relations department had no more than 1 employee and claimed no more than $200 in expenses.
E. The production department had no more than 500 employees and claimed no more than $350 in expenses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
B.

C,D,E are all likely to be weakened since no more than can become more than that amount.

Between A and B, >25 and >$35000 will be less affected than =15 and >$500, I guess bcos equality is a more restricted statement.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1448 [0]
Send PM
i like this one :-D

IMO its B)...because only B) gives the possibility for more employees and more expenses.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Nice question. Love this one.

B it is.

Took me 3 min 13 secs. How did you guys fare?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
this took 5 minutes and 34 seconds for me to figure it out but as per your OA i got it right it says! The question is which of the following choices will be least weakened by the fact that additional 1995 vouchers are discovered in simple terms which one will not cause any questioning or suspicion to arise by discovery of additional 1995 vouchers at a later point in time?

My thoughts :

A. The accounting department had only 15 employees and claimed expenses of at least $500.
B. The sales department had at least 25 employees and claimed expenses of at least $35,000.
C. The legal department had at least 2 employees and claimed no more than $3000 in expenses.
D. The public relations department had no more than 1 employee and claimed no more than $200 in expenses.
E. The production department had no more than 500 employees and claimed no more than $350 in expenses.

If you see the highlighted portions, this is mostly like a mathematical problem.
A - Had only x employees and claimed at least Y dollars - employees fixed but voucher amount is "at least" so partially weakened though not to least extent.
B - Had at least x employees and claimed at least Y dollars - I think this would be the least weakened as both employees and amount claimed limits are expressed as "at least" with no upper limit. So this is the correct answer.
C - had at least X employees and claimed no more than Y dollars - employee numbers are open-ended but amount claimed is fixed with no more hence will be subject to weakening partially.
D, E- Had no More than X employees and Claimed no more than Y dollars - these 2 choices would be weakened most as there is a cap to both number of employees and amount.

Correct answer is B in my view.
If this helped you and if this indeed is the right answer give me a kudos!
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
EBITDA wrote:
All of the following conclusions are based upon accurate vouchers submitted by employees to department heads of a certain corporation in 1995. Which of them is LEAST likely to be weakened by the discovery of additional 1995 expense vouchers?

Could you please share your thoughts on this question?

Thank you.

The Q is based on understanding what would these additional vouchers do?
the conclusions in the 5 choices do not include these 1995 expense voucher..

So what do these 1995 expense voucher do..
1) They will increase expenses..
2) These could include new members who had initially not given there vouchers and thus can result in increase of members..

Lets see the choices-

the expenses are atleast, so any increase would still not affect the total expenses as we are speaking of ATLEAST..
However ONLY 15 employes may go wrong by addition of some new employee..

the expenses are atleast, so any increase would still not affect the total expenses as we are speaking of ATLEAST..
Even employes are atleast 25, so increase of some new employee will not affect the conclusion of some new employee..

the expenses are NO MORE THAN $3000, so any increase will affect the total expenses as we are speaking of no more than..
However atleast usage in employee will not get affected by increase of new member..

the expenses are NO MORE THAN $3000, so any increase will affect the total expenses as we are speaking of no more than..
usage of NO MORE THAN in employee will affected total..

same as D

Only B does not get affected
Manager
Manager
Status:Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [0]
Given Kudos: 471
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
EBITDA wrote:

Could you please share your thoughts on this question?

Thank you.

The Q is based on understanding what would these additional vouchers do?
the conclusions in the 5 choices do not include these 1995 expense voucher..

So what do these 1995 expense voucher do..
1) They will increase expenses..
2) These could include new members who had initially not given there vouchers and thus can result in increase of members..

Lets see the choices-

However ONLY 15 employes may go wrong by addition of some new employee..

Even employes are atleast 25, so increase of some new employee will not affect the conclusion of some new employee..

However atleast usage in employee will not get affected by increase of new member..

usage of NO MORE THAN in employee will affected total..

same as D

Only B does not get affected

Hi chetan2u,

Is this really gmatprep question. Scared of it :cry:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
why D is going to be affected by this.

PR has only 1 employee and assuming noone has provided vouchers so 1*200 (difference only can be $200, not more than that)

while B : The sales department had at least 25 employees and claimed expenses of at least $35,000.

i am assuming Sales has total 25. Let say 10 has claimed exactly $35,000 and now additional vouchers are coming from rest 15 are $50000 in this case there is a difference of 15000*15. I don't think it is least.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts