GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 10:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

All the students of a class are to be divided into 20 individual study

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
e-GMAT Representative
V
All the students of a class are to be divided into 20 individual study  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Mar 2019, 01:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:33) correct 41% (02:05) wrong based on 81 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

All the students of a class are to be divided into 20 individual study groups. What should be the minimum number of candidates present in the least populated group?

I. The total number of students in the class is 238.
    II. Any group cannot have more than 20% of the number of students of any other group.

Originally posted by EgmatQuantExpert on 13 Mar 2019, 01:43.
Last edited by EgmatQuantExpert on 28 Mar 2019, 01:20, edited 3 times in total.
e-GMAT Representative
V
Re: All the students of a class are to be divided into 20 individual study  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 22:49

Solution

Given:
    • All the students of a class are to be divided into 20 individual study groups.

To find:
    • The minimum number of candidates present in the least populated group.

Analysing Statement 1
As per the information given in statement 1, the total number of students in the class in 238.
    • From this statement, we do not have any information about the number of students in the least populated of the 20 groups.

Hence, statement 1 is not sufficient to answer the question.

Analysing Statement 2
As per the information given in statement 2, any group cannot have more than 20% if the number of students of any other group.
    • Let us assume the minimum number of students present in the least populated group is n
    • Therefore, the maximum number of students present in any of the groups will be 1.2n

Now to minimize n, we should have only one group with n students, and all other groups should have maximum possible number of students (which is 1.2n).
Therefore, we can say
    • Total number of students = n + 19 x 1.2n = n + 22.8n = 23.8n

But from this statement, we cannot determine the value of n, as we don’t know the total number of students.
Hence, statement 2 is not sufficient to answer the question.

Combining Both Statements
Combining both statements, we can say
    • 23.8n = 238
    Or, \(n = \frac{238}{23.8} = 10\)

Therefore, the minimum number of students present in the least populated group is 10.

Hence, the correct answer is option C.

Answer: C
Re: All the students of a class are to be divided into 20 individual study  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2019, 03:58
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

Solution

Given:
    • All the students of a class are to be divided into 20 individual study groups.

To find:
    • The minimum number of candidates present in the least populated group.

Analysing Statement 1
As per the information given in statement 1, the total number of students in the class in 238.
    • From this statement, we do not have any information about the number of students in the least populated of the 20 groups.

Hence, statement 1 is not sufficient to answer the question.

Analysing Statement 2
As per the information given in statement 2, any group cannot have more than 20% if the number of students of any other group.
    • Let us assume the minimum number of students present in the least populated group is n
    • Therefore, the maximum number of students present in any of the groups will be 1.2n

Now to minimize n, we should have only one group with n students, and all other groups should have maximum possible number of students (which is 1.2n).
Therefore, we can say
    • Total number of students = n + 19 x 1.2n = n + 22.8n = 23.8n

But from this statement, we cannot determine the value of n, as we don’t know the total number of students.
Hence, statement 2 is not sufficient to answer the question.

Combining Both Statements
Combining both statements, we can say
    • 23.8n = 238
    Or, \(n = \frac{238}{23.8} = 10\)

Therefore, the minimum number of students present in the least populated group is 10.

Hence, the correct answer is option C.

Answer: C

But the same can be found by the 1st statement itself - 238 students and 20 groups - if 1 group is of 10 , rest 228 can be evenly divided in 19 groups , 12 per group, so the least populated group is 10. So in that case answer would be A.Let me know if this is not correct.
e-GMAT Representative
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2019, 05:17
aditya47 wrote:
But the same can be found by the 1st statement itself - 238 students and 20 groups - if 1 group is of 10 , rest 228 can be evenly divided in 19 groups , 12 per group, so the least populated group is 10. So in that case answer would be A.Let me know if this is not correct.

Hey aditya47,

As per statement 1, we know that the total number of students in the class in 238. From the question statement, we also know that we need to form 20 groups.

Now, from this available information, can you tell me:
    1. Why you have assumed the 1 group as 10? Can't we take the strength of the first group as 9 or 8 or 11?

P
Premium Member CAT Tests
All the students of a class are to be divided into 20 individual study  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2019, 13:44
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
aditya47 wrote:

Hey aditya47,

As per statement 1, we know that the total number of students in the class in 238. From the question statement, we also know that we need to form 20 groups.

Now, from this available information, can you tell me:
    1. Why you have assumed the 1 group as 10? Can't we take the strength of the first group as 9 or 8 or 11?

EgmatQuantExpert

I see You have not got a reply on this one but I am thinking on the same lines so I will try to answer your question.

I am not assuming the 1 group to be of 10. If I need to have one group as minimum then I need to have maximum number of students in other 19 groups. Now the highest possible multiple of 19 which is less than 238 is 228. And hence 19 groups can be of size 12 and the last group can be of the size 10.

Bunuel Only if you want to provide your 2 cents.

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
GMAT Club Bot
All the students of a class are to be divided into 20 individual study   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2019, 13:44

All the students of a class are to be divided into 20 individual study

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics