GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Apr 2019, 09:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Allen: Our state has a ten-cent deposit on all carbonated beverage

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Allen: Our state has a ten-cent deposit on all carbonated beverage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 06:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:59) correct 49% (02:26) wrong based on 136 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Allen: Our state has a ten-cent deposit on all carbonated beverage containers. This ensures that plastic and glass bottles and aluminum cans are recycled. Your state should have a bottle deposit program.

John: My state has a comprehensive recycling program that features curbside recycling and recycling bins at highway rest stops, parks, and other public places. Studies have shown that comprehensive recycling programs more effectively encourage recycling than do bottle deposit programs alone. Therefore, my state should not adopt a bottle deposit program.

John’s conclusion would be most weakened by which of the following?

(A) Ten-cent bottle deposit programs are more effective than five-cent deposit programs.
(B) Americans in every state are much more likely to recycle now than they were in the 1970s when most deposit laws were passed.
(C) Beverage bottles, on average, account for only 8 percent of the litter along highways and 4 percent of the solid waste in landfills.
(D) Many states, including Allen’s, have both a bottle deposit program and a comprehensive recycling program.
(E) Bottle deposit programs and comprehensive recycling programs are more effective at encouraging recycling than are ad campaigns.

V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Allen: Our state has a ten-cent deposit on all carbonated beverage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2017, 23:13
Official Explanation.

In this question, you’re asked to weaken John’s conclusion that his state shouldn’t adopt the bottle deposit program. As evidence for his conclusion, John offers studies that show that the comprehensive recycling program currently in place in his state is better than a bottle deposit program.

You need to choose an answer that disproves one of John’s premises or that weakens the link between the premises and the conclusion. Eliminate A because the effectiveness of 5-cent versus 10-cent deposit programs is irrelevant to John’s argument. You can eliminate C because the issue is recycling, not littering. Choice E discusses ad campaigns, which are not part of the argument and don’t weaken the conclusion. Choice B seems to support John’s conclusion that a bottle-deposit program isn’t necessary, because it suggests that people in all states are recycling, even people in those states without a deposit program. Choice D damages John’s conclusion by weakening the link between his evidence and his conclusion. If many states have both comprehensive recycling and a deposit program, this option is possible for John’s state. That comprehensive recycling alone may be better than bottle deposits alone doesn’t mean John’s state shouldn’t have both.

B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Allen: Our state has a ten-cent deposit on all carbonated beverage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 09:55
rohan2345 wrote:
Allen: Our state has a ten-cent deposit on all carbonated beverage containers. This ensures that plastic and glass bottles and aluminum cans are recycled. Your state should have a bottle deposit program.

John: My state has a comprehensive recycling program that features curbside recycling and recycling bins at highway rest stops, parks, and other public places. Studies have shown that comprehensive recycling programs more effectively encourage recycling than do bottle deposit programs alone. Therefore, my state should not adopt a bottle deposit program.

(A) Ten-cent bottle deposit programs are more effective than five-cent deposit programs.
(B) Americans in every state are much more likely to recycle now than they were in the 1970s when most deposit laws were passed.
(C) Beverage bottles, on average, account for only 8 percent of the litter along highways and 4 percent of the solid waste in landfills.
(D) Many states, including Allen’s, have both a bottle deposit program and a comprehensive recycling program.
(E) Bottle deposit programs and comprehensive recycling programs are more effective at encouraging recycling than are ad campaigns.

Hi,

are this type of question asked in GMAT?
the option can only be reached by POE.
As option D does not prove anything.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: Allen: Our state has a ten-cent deposit on all carbonated beverage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 02:21
kanthaliya wrote:
rohan2345 wrote:

Hi,

are this type of question asked in GMAT?
the option can only be reached by POE.
As option D does not prove anything.

Hi,

Anything that would attack the conclusion made by John would qualify as a weakener.

Conclusion - My state should not adopt a bottle deposit program because "Studies have shown that comprehensive recycling programs more effectively encourage recycling than do bottle deposit programs alone."

Thus, any option that conveys the importance of bottle programs along with comprehensive recycling programs should be our weakener.
Option D rightly does so by saying that many states have both programs.

I feel this option would have been an even strong contender had it elaborated on the success of adopting both bottle and comprehensive recycling programs.

Hope it helps.
Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Allen: Our state has a ten-cent deposit on all carbonated beverage   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2019, 02:21

Allen: Our state has a ten-cent deposit on all carbonated beverage

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap