Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Re: Alternative Transcript Question [#permalink]
Kudos
ariel wrote:
Thanks rhyme, that puts my mind to ease. I might include a sentence or two about the rigor of said courses in my essays. Hopefully that will take care of it :?

I don't think you should worry. There are a lot of people who have taken classes at continuing education, extension, and community colleges. I think the most important thing is that it has a strong reputation (not a degree mill) and you score an A. With low GPA, a couple solid A's should address any concerns over your ability to handle MBA coursework. After that it's all about how well you can sell your stuff and what you've done since college.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Kudos
I think that courses you've mentiond would be just fine. As Rhyme said, recognition of the institution matters the most, not the type of the particular school.

Not taking courses in order to improve my academic credentials was one of my worst mistake during the application process. My overall GPA is quite high (3.55), but my only low grades were from Mathematics, Quantitative Methods and Accounting... Lovely, isn't it? :) I've done some research and found some online courses such as UCLA Extension, but I didn't like the idea of onlinee course - for no reason. Even online courses are better than doing nothing.

It is not about courses, classes, grades and knoledge you are about to get from building the alternate transcript - it is about dedication you are showing to the adcom. You are saying "OK, I wasn't doing well, I wasn't aware of importance of this and that, I wasn't mature enough... but that is behind me now. Now I understand how subject xyz is important and I want to show you that I understand, and I want to show you even by taking the online courses".

I didn't have other option but taking the online course, where I come from alternate trancript is considered some kind of disease or some medical procedure :-D Had I been in the United States, I would have taken courses at local college for sure.
GMAT Club Bot