Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks for the feedback.

My target school is USC Marshall. I'm above the GMAT mean, but not by much (20 points). In my optional essay, I plan on addressing my low GPA.

I don't know if it helps, but in my last year of undergrad, I had a 3.0. Do you think this might help the admissions committee with regards to my GPA? I've also taken an Econ class at a local community college and received an A for that. I also did a continuing ed. class (Real Estate) and received an A, but that won't matter much for b-school.

Oasis - I went to UC Davis and graduated with an Electrical Engineering degree, although my current job has nothing to do with EE. I currently do financial analysis for a Fortune 500.

So from the comments I've seen thus far, it would not bar me from getting into school. I just need to boost my other aspects of the app.

also, any other advice would be great...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
The three o won't be a huge help but can't hurt.

My situation is similar i have a 3.0 overall but its boosted by a 3.7 my last two years.

I still wish I had taken a class before applying....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The 3.0 will help - I had one in my final semester as well. Honestly - I think it is pretty common for people with 2.5's to apply to b-school, have higher GPAs in their final semester, and take extra classes. That is why the optional essay is there - sure you can cover other aspects as well but I would put money that GPA is the #1 optional essay that is written.

Dont stress about it, you have some classes, take some additional coursework and throw that in your optional as well - letting them know you will update them as the course concludes (and when you have status updates).

Not only will it show you are committed, but it will also give you a reason to keep in touch and have them remember who you are.

One final note - you can always take Online classes at a university too - most schools accept those as well. Just make sure it is at a fully accredited university.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have been struggling with the same dilemma... I majored in Computer Science in a top canadian university and had a 73% average. I practically failed out of second year and pulled it back together to graduate.

The program was very tough and I was not very mature. I wrote 2 different essays about this topic and ended up not submitting either of them.

Why? I actually asked an admission councillor and she said that it should be already self-explanatory. I think I really wanted to hear this answer also... because my essays always sounded like I was just giving excuses. Certainly have a a good GMAT will help your cause.

I am undecided for my next 2 apps... but unless I can find a good way to write this essay, i may just leave it up to the adcom to interpret it.

cheers
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's strange. "Since GPA is the only factor that cannot be changed, all other portions of the app. should have something compelling to show..." This is what the Admissions Director had said in a nutshell. She went on to say that I should definitely speak to my GPA and what I have done to show improvement, such as taking additional courses at local college and receiving A's, getting a good score on the GMAT, and using the essay to speak to my GPA improvement.

FYI, i'll be in enrolling in 2 more classes at a local college in Jan. (accounting and business management). Although I will already have submitted my apps by mid Dec and probably receive an admission/rejection by end of Jan, I think it'll help with my weak GPA...

thinking back, I wish I had focused more on school in my first 3 years of college. I didn't think that this would bite me back in the butt (didnt expect to go to b-school)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
fyi, I also plan on re-taking the GMAT in 3 weeks in hopes that it'll be a greater diff. between my score an the school's mean.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've a 3.5... Hope it counts! :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guys...between GPA and GMAT, which one do you think carrys more weight?

I think GMAT is surely more important because:

1. It represents your quant and verbal skills at present (and close to present) compared to GPA that was 5-10 years ago.

2. Its the only thing that adcoms can use to compare you with others.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatmba wrote:

1. It represents your quant and verbal skills at present (and close to present) compared to GPA that was 5-10 years ago.

Agreed with you based on #1. Its the most accurate representation of your skills today.

#2 I don't think is necessarily true - there are some schools that are "harder" than others, but a 3.5 vs a 2.5 is pretty cut and dry.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:

Agreed with you based on #1. Its the most accurate representation of your skills today.

#2 I don't think is necessarily true - there are some schools that are "harder" than others, but a 3.5 vs a 2.5 is pretty cut and dry.

well...all other things being equal (i know its not a reality)

would you take a 700 and 3.9
or a 760 and 3.1
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatmba wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:

or a 760 and 3.1

I'll take the 760 and 3.1
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:

or a 760 and 3.1

that was my point....gmat owns gpa :)
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah... but what if your school is comfortable with their GMAT average but not their GPA avg. I could see a place like Tuck saying... "we don't care about padding our GMAT anymore... we are already up there, but 3.3GPA avg... that could definately be better."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatmba wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:

or a 760 and 3.1

that was my point....gmat owns gpa :)

And I said I agreed, just that I agreed primarily on point #1, and less so on point #2.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
Yeah... but what if your school is comfortable with their GMAT average but not their GPA avg. I could see a place like Tuck saying... "we don't care about padding our GMAT anymore... we are already up there, but 3.3GPA avg... that could definately be better."

Meh, I still say GMAT reigns supreme. It's consistently the quoted number when people look at schools. It's always the first thing people ask. It's something thats been increasing year over year at the top schools. It's more pertinent. Exclusivity is driven not so much by overall GPA but much more by selectivity % and GMAT score. It's much easier to appear exclusive when you can say your average gmat score is over the 90%th percentile. It's far more difficult to come up with a figure like that for GPAs. 3.5? 3.4? 3.2? 3.6? 3.8? Etc.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think if you are a school that has a GMAT very comparible with others in your league but your GPA is a little down from those in your league you're gonna wanna bring that up. I don't think the top schools are dying for good GMAT scores anyhow... They have them in spades already. Looking at profiles on here I have been struck by high GMATs and mediocre GPAs... If business schools see this too they may say "we got GMAT down, lets look at GPA." This is of course only at the very top... A school like Kelly for example would kill for anyone with a top GMAT.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
In general, I agree with Rhyme since the GMAT tends to be a better predictor of performance in business school. The validity coefficient for the GMAT (mean of 0.459) easily beats the validity coeff for Undergrad GPA (mean of 0.283).

However, Mark makes an interesting point with regard to the relative value of a higher GPA.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3