GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 10:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although it is the opinion of an expert, aired in a recent radio inter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Although it is the opinion of an expert, aired in a recent radio inter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 08:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (02:12) correct 35% (02:38) wrong based on 297 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although it is the opinion of an expert, aired in a recent radio interview, clearly the statement that our skin should constantly be protected from the sun's rays is inaccurate. There is a possibility that in the next 50 to 100 years the damage done to the ozone layer will have been corrected so that the protection that it once granted us will be restored. However, based on current evidence, harmful UV rays are penetrating our atmosphere. Still, our bodies need sunlight and UV for the synthesis of vitamin D, a vital element in our ability to defend ourselves from a variety of serious illnesses even though the benefits of skin protective products have been proven.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the above conclusion?

A) Constant and complete protection from the sun's rays means that the sunlight that our bodies would usually absorb, which spans a wavelength range of 290 to 400 nanometers, would only reach our skin after being filtered by the organic and inorganic particles in sunscreen lotion.

B) Of the three bands of ultraviolet light, the bands UVA and UVB, through overexposure, are the major factors responsible for sunburn, photodermatoses, the aging of skin, and skin cancer.

C) The behavior of skin cells is altered by ultraviolet light which changes the behavior of genes and damages DNA, leaving permanent mutations with changes in the growth characteristics of the skin, ultimately resulting in a risk of cancer.

D) Rickets, a disease predominant in children that was first connected to a deficiency in vitamin D by medical experts over a century ago, can be corrected with treatments of controlled exposure to ultraviolet light.

E) Contrary to popular belief, pollution levels, geographic location, percentage of cloud cover, and time of day are characteristics that do not directly influence parameters of ultraviolet light exposure and consequently, vitamin D levels.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Manager
Manager
Re: Although it is the opinion of an expert, aired in a recent radio inter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2016, 13:08
OE found on economist website

https://gmat.economist.com/gmat-practic ... -questions

To solve this Conclusion Strengthening question, first break down the argument. The first sentence uses the conclusion word clearly and is, therefore, the conclusion. The following three sentences are premises since they all contain factual information:

Premise A: in the next 50 to 100 years the ozone layer may be repaired
+
Premise B: at present, UV rays are penetrating our atmosphere
+
Premise C: the human body needs UV to make vitamin D but sunscreen is also beneficial
=
Conclusion: the opinion that our skin should not receive any sunlight is incorrect

Possible assumption: sunlight is somehow also good for us

Strengthening Data: ?

You are required to find data that supports the statement that the constantly being protected from sunlight is not a good thing. The correct answer could be one that confirms the argument's assumption.

This answer choice (Option D) strengthens the conclusion that the expert's opinion is inaccurate in two ways. Firstly, it tells us of a disease that is caused by not getting enough vitamin D which we are told by the premises is created by ultraviolet exposure. Secondly, it links ultraviolet light to the curing of the disease, showing that it is actually a necessary factor in the human biological system.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Manager
Manager
Re: Although it is the opinion of an expert, aired in a recent radio inter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2016, 13:19
Hi Harley1980 \ chetan2u,

I am not convinced with OE. :(

My approach-

I thought the conclusion is "clearly the statement that our skin should constantly be protected from the sun's rays is inaccurate."
And we need to strengthen it.

So, we need to find something which says that--> Our skin is NOT protected from Sun.

The argument is solely concerned with skin. So, any disease apart from skin is out of scope whether it is fever, pneumonia, diarrhea or anything..we don't care. We only care about SKIN disease.

Therefore I eliminated OA D which deals with rickets .

Please help...

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '18, IIMA , IIMC
GPA: 3.77
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 23:51
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi Harley1980 \ chetan2u,

I am not convinced with OE. :(

My approach-

I thought the conclusion is "clearly the statement that our skin should constantly be protected from the sun's rays is inaccurate."
And we need to strengthen it.

So, we need to find something which says that--> Our skin is NOT protected from Sun.

The argument is solely concerned with skin. So, any disease apart from skin is out of scope whether it is fever, pneumonia, diarrhea or anything..we don't care. We only care about SKIN disease.

Therefore I eliminated OA D which deals with rickets .

Please help...

Prakhar - With due respect to your opinon, I will disagree with your conclusion and my conclusion is that we DO not need to protect ourseleves ALWAYS from the rays or in other words, getting those Rays exposed sometimes to the skins is OK.

I believe, on CR questions, it is important at times to work from incorrect choices to correct ones. If you notice, all the other choices are basically not suporting the conclusion and thus, can be eliminated. Option D, though, talks about a disease, is giving us a case where getting exposed to Sunlight is important and thus, is supporting our conclusion that it is at times, better to get exposure to sun rays.

I hope the explanation does help in some way. Please do let me know in case I missed something in my explanation above. All the best to you !!

Best Regards,
RS

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2016, 07:17
Not very fond of this question.1
It looks like two fragments have been linked together and i had a hard time identifying the conclusion here!
Experts please pour in your insights!
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2016, 08:01
Top Contributor
goforgmat wrote:
Not very fond of this question.1
It looks like two fragments have been linked together and i had a hard time identifying the conclusion here!
Experts please pour in your insights!

Hello, goforgmat

I think that conclusion is
"the statement that our skin should constantly be protected from the sun's rays is inaccurate"
because:
"our bodies need sunlight and UV for the synthesis of vitamin D, a vital element in our ability to defend ourselves from a variety of serious illnesses"

How can we strange this conclusion? By adding some evidence that will clearly state that the sun can give vitamin D and that vitamin D is can cure some disease:

Answer D does that:

D) Rickets, a disease predominant in children that was first connected to a deficiency in vitamin D by medical experts over a century ago, can be corrected with treatments of controlled exposure to ultraviolet light.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 13:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although it is the opinion of an expert, aired in a recent radio inter &nbs [#permalink] 26 Sep 2018, 13:02

Although it is the opinion of an expert, aired in a recent radio inter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap