GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 May 2018, 20:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of superm

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
D
Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 374
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of superm [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 04:03
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:35) correct 45% (01:40) wrong based on 262 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of supermarkets does not include an apostrophe and is in fact named for its founder George Ralphs. Therefore, it is unlikely that the chain was given its name in an effort to invoke the feel of a local, owner-operated store.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument above?


A) None of the other supermarket chains owned by the Yucaipa Companies, which purchased the Ralphs chain in 1994, has a person's name as the store's brand.

B) Supermarkets and other retailers often go by a founder's name as a way to create a locally-owned, community feel.

C) The Ralphs name has remained unchanged since the store was founded in 1873, even though ownership of the chain has changed several times.

D) When George Ralphs filed his initial permit for a business license for his first store, he omitted a company name and the licensing bureau simply used his surname to finish the paperwork.

E) In many communities it is common for regular patrons of retailers to colloquially add a possessive apostrophe-S to store names, such as Kroger's or Ford's, that do not actually involve possessives in the official names

_________________

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4669
Re: Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of superm [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 17:14
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
NandishSS wrote:
Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of supermarkets does not include an apostrophe and is in fact named for its founder George Ralphs. Therefore, it is unlikely that the chain was given its name in an effort to invoke the feel of a local, owner-operated store.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument above?

A) None of the other supermarket chains owned by the Yucaipa Companies, which purchased the Ralphs chain in 1994, has a person's name as the store's brand.
B) Supermarkets and other retailers often go by a founder's name as a way to create a locally-owned, community feel.
C) The Ralphs name has remained unchanged since the store was founded in 1873, even though ownership of the chain has changed several times.
D) When George Ralphs filed his initial permit for a business license for his first store, he omitted a company name and the licensing bureau simply used his surname to finish the paperwork.
E) In many communities it is common for regular patrons of retailers to colloquially add a possessive apostrophe-S to store names, such as Kroger's or Ford's, that do not actually involve possessives in the official names.

Dear NandishSS,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Conclusion: the author believes that the chain was not given its name in an effort to invoke the feel of a local owner-operated store.

A) None of the other supermarket chains owned by the Yucaipa Companies, which purchased the Ralphs chain in 1994, has a person's name as the store's brand.
This is vaguely suggestive, but does not provide clear evidence about how Ralphs got its name. This is incorrect.

B) Supermarkets and other retailers often go by a founder's name as a way to create a locally-owned, community feel.
This is a general pattern. Did Ralphs follow this pattern when it was named? We don't know. This is incorrect.

C) The Ralphs name has remained unchanged since the store was founded in 1873, even though ownership of the chain has changed several times.
While that's interesting, it doesn't reveal any motivation about why it was named "Ralphs" in the first place. This is incorrect.

D) When George Ralphs filed his initial permit for a business license for his first store, he omitted a company name and the licensing bureau simply used his surname to finish the paperwork.
Interesting. This tells us about the actual process by which the store acquired its name, and it appears that it was somewhat accidental, certainly not an intentional act. This is a promising choice.

E) In many communities it is common for regular patrons of retailers to colloquially add a possessive apostrophe-S to store names, such as Kroger's or Ford's, that do not actually involve possessives in the official names.
This speaks more to common misunderstandings, not to the original motivations in choosing a name. This is incorrect.

(D) is a strong answer. If George Ralphs simply forgot to enter a company name, perhaps this was by accident, but he certainly would not have known how that blank might be filled in. The clerk who put his surname into that slot simply was trying to fill in every part of a bureaucratic form: the furthest concern from that pencil-pusher's mind was the marketing appeal of one name vs. another. Therefore, this piece of information definitely strengthens the argument.

OA = (D)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 31 May 2017
Posts: 257
CAT Tests
Re: Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of superm [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 22:20
The option D presents the reason how the supermarket chain got its name which clearly support the fact that the supermarket is not named to give local , owner operated store

Ans: D
_________________

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1646
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of superm [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2018, 14:27
mikemcgarry wrote:

Conclusion: the author believes that the chain was not given its name in an effort to invoke the feel of a local owner-operated store.


Dear mikemcgarry,

I hope you are well. :-)

I have a problem to understand the conclusion from language standpoint. To be precise, what does 'in an effort to' modify? To help you I undestood it in 2 different way as follows:

1- [it is unlikely that] [the chain was given its name in an effort to invoke the feel of a local, owner-operated store.]
or

2- [it is unlikely that the chain was given its name] [in an effort to invoke the feel of a local, owner-operated store.]

I hope the coloring parts conveys how I understood this sentence.

Thanks
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 Oct 2017
Posts: 136
Re: Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of superm [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 18:45
Mo2men wrote:

Dear mikemcgarry,

I hope you are well. :-)

I have a problem to understand the conclusion from language standpoint. To be precise, what does 'in an effort to' modify? To help you I undestood it in 2 different way as follows:

1- [it is unlikely that] [the chain was given its name in an effort to invoke the feel of a local, owner-operated store.]
or

2- [it is unlikely that the chain was given its name] [in an effort to invoke the feel of a local, owner-operated store.]

I hope the coloring parts conveys how I understood this sentence.

Thanks


Hi Mo2men!

I can step in for Mike here :-)

Here, even though the structure here is a little complex, there is only one way to interpret this sentence. "In an effort to" is modifying "the chain was given its name". So, we have the idea that the chain could be named "Ralphs" in order to make the store feel local and owner-operated. However, this sentence is saying that this idea is unlikely. Does that make sense?

Let me know! :-)
-Carolyn
_________________

Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 08 Jan 2018
Posts: 265
Location: United States (ID)
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of superm [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 15:30
mikemcgarry wrote:
NandishSS wrote:
Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of supermarkets does not include an apostrophe and is in fact named for its founder George Ralphs. Therefore, it is unlikely that the chain was given its name in an effort to invoke the feel of a local, owner-operated store.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument above?

A) None of the other supermarket chains owned by the Yucaipa Companies, which purchased the Ralphs chain in 1994, has a person's name as the store's brand.
B) Supermarkets and other retailers often go by a founder's name as a way to create a locally-owned, community feel.
C) The Ralphs name has remained unchanged since the store was founded in 1873, even though ownership of the chain has changed several times.
D) When George Ralphs filed his initial permit for a business license for his first store, he omitted a company name and the licensing bureau simply used his surname to finish the paperwork.
E) In many communities it is common for regular patrons of retailers to colloquially add a possessive apostrophe-S to store names, such as Kroger's or Ford's, that do not actually involve possessives in the official names.

Dear NandishSS,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Conclusion: the author believes that the chain was not given its name in an effort to invoke the feel of a local owner-operated store.

A) None of the other supermarket chains owned by the Yucaipa Companies, which purchased the Ralphs chain in 1994, has a person's name as the store's brand.
This is vaguely suggestive, but does not provide clear evidence about how Ralphs got its name. This is incorrect.

B) Supermarkets and other retailers often go by a founder's name as a way to create a locally-owned, community feel.
This is a general pattern. Did Ralphs follow this pattern when it was named? We don't know. This is incorrect.

C) The Ralphs name has remained unchanged since the store was founded in 1873, even though ownership of the chain has changed several times.
While that's interesting, it doesn't reveal any motivation about why it was named "Ralphs" in the first place. This is incorrect.

D) When George Ralphs filed his initial permit for a business license for his first store, he omitted a company name and the licensing bureau simply used his surname to finish the paperwork.
Interesting. This tells us about the actual process by which the store acquired its name, and it appears that it was somewhat accidental, certainly not an intentional act. This is a promising choice.

E) In many communities it is common for regular patrons of retailers to colloquially add a possessive apostrophe-S to store names, such as Kroger's or Ford's, that do not actually involve possessives in the official names.
This speaks more to common misunderstandings, not to the original motivations in choosing a name. This is incorrect.

(D) is a strong answer. If George Ralphs simply forgot to enter a company name, perhaps this was by accident, but he certainly would not have known how that blank might be filled in. The clerk who put his surname into that slot simply was trying to fill in every part of a bureaucratic form: the furthest concern from that pencil-pusher's mind was the marketing appeal of one name vs. another. Therefore, this piece of information definitely strengthens the argument.

OA = (D)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


hi, Mike. There is no way for me to pinpoint the exact idea of the argument. Certainly, on the exam day, there will be time pressure and tiredness. I doubt that this question will appear on the actual exam.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 45455
Re: Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of superm [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 00:07
NandishSS wrote:
Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of supermarkets does not include an apostrophe and is in fact named for its founder George Ralphs. Therefore, it is unlikely that the chain was given its name in an effort to invoke the feel of a local, owner-operated store.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument above?


A) None of the other supermarket chains owned by the Yucaipa Companies, which purchased the Ralphs chain in 1994, has a person's name as the store's brand.

B) Supermarkets and other retailers often go by a founder's name as a way to create a locally-owned, community feel.

C) The Ralphs name has remained unchanged since the store was founded in 1873, even though ownership of the chain has changed several times.

D) When George Ralphs filed his initial permit for a business license for his first store, he omitted a company name and the licensing bureau simply used his surname to finish the paperwork.

E) In many communities it is common for regular patrons of retailers to colloquially add a possessive apostrophe-S to store names, such as Kroger's or Ford's, that do not actually involve possessives in the official names


VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:



As with any Strengthen question, here you should seek out the conclusion and be sure to notice its specific scope: here it is that it's unlikely that the Ralphs supermarket chain was given its name to convey the feel of a local, owner-operated store. Note that the question is specific to the one chain, Ralphs, and to the original reason it got the Ralphs name. This can help you eliminate choice A, which talks Ralphs' new ownership - not the group that gave the original name.

Choice B is also incorrect: remember, your job is to show that it is UNLIKELY that Ralphs was given its name to convey this idea of a locally-owned store, so it is not helpful to your conclusion that some supermarket chains DO give names for that reason.

Choice C simply gives more context about the name Ralphs - how long it has been around - but does not allow you to determine why the supermarket chain received its name.

Choice D is correct, as it proves that Ralphs did not receive its name intentionally at all: if the name were given because the founder did not provide a name on the registration form, then it could not have had the intent to create that feel of a local store.

And choice E is incorrect as it misses the scope entirely - this argument is about how Ralphs received its official name, not about what people tend to call stores colloquially.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of superm   [#permalink] 11 May 2018, 00:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of superm

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.