Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 21:42 It is currently 09 May 2024, 21:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1587 [19]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28613 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1362 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Re: Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of superm [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:

Conclusion: the author believes that the chain was not given its name in an effort to invoke the feel of a local owner-operated store.

Dear mikemcgarry,

I hope you are well. :-)

I have a problem to understand the conclusion from language standpoint. To be precise, what does 'in an effort to' modify? To help you I undestood it in 2 different way as follows:

1- [it is unlikely that] [the chain was given its name in an effort to invoke the feel of a local, owner-operated store.]
or

2- [it is unlikely that the chain was given its name] [in an effort to invoke the feel of a local, owner-operated store.]

I hope the coloring parts conveys how I understood this sentence.

Thanks
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 399 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of superm [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:

Dear mikemcgarry,

I hope you are well. :-)

I have a problem to understand the conclusion from language standpoint. To be precise, what does 'in an effort to' modify? To help you I undestood it in 2 different way as follows:

1- [it is unlikely that] [the chain was given its name in an effort to invoke the feel of a local, owner-operated store.]
or

2- [it is unlikely that the chain was given its name] [in an effort to invoke the feel of a local, owner-operated store.]

I hope the coloring parts conveys how I understood this sentence.

Thanks

Hi Mo2men!

I can step in for Mike here :-)

Here, even though the structure here is a little complex, there is only one way to interpret this sentence. "In an effort to" is modifying "the chain was given its name". So, we have the idea that the chain could be named "Ralphs" in order to make the store feel local and owner-operated. However, this sentence is saying that this idea is unlikely. Does that make sense?

Let me know! :-)
-Carolyn
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
GPA: 3.33
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
NandishSS wrote:
Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of supermarkets does not include an apostrophe and is in fact named for its founder George Ralphs. Therefore, it is unlikely that the chain was given its name in an effort to invoke the feel of a local, owner-operated store.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument above?

A) None of the other supermarket chains owned by the Yucaipa Companies, which purchased the Ralphs chain in 1994, has a person's name as the store's brand.
B) Supermarkets and other retailers often go by a founder's name as a way to create a locally-owned, community feel.
C) The Ralphs name has remained unchanged since the store was founded in 1873, even though ownership of the chain has changed several times.
D) When George Ralphs filed his initial permit for a business license for his first store, he omitted a company name and the licensing bureau simply used his surname to finish the paperwork.
E) In many communities it is common for regular patrons of retailers to colloquially add a possessive apostrophe-S to store names, such as Kroger's or Ford's, that do not actually involve possessives in the official names.

Dear NandishSS,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Conclusion: the author believes that the chain was not given its name in an effort to invoke the feel of a local owner-operated store.

A) None of the other supermarket chains owned by the Yucaipa Companies, which purchased the Ralphs chain in 1994, has a person's name as the store's brand.
This is vaguely suggestive, but does not provide clear evidence about how Ralphs got its name. This is incorrect.

B) Supermarkets and other retailers often go by a founder's name as a way to create a locally-owned, community feel.
This is a general pattern. Did Ralphs follow this pattern when it was named? We don't know. This is incorrect.

C) The Ralphs name has remained unchanged since the store was founded in 1873, even though ownership of the chain has changed several times.
While that's interesting, it doesn't reveal any motivation about why it was named "Ralphs" in the first place. This is incorrect.

D) When George Ralphs filed his initial permit for a business license for his first store, he omitted a company name and the licensing bureau simply used his surname to finish the paperwork.
Interesting. This tells us about the actual process by which the store acquired its name, and it appears that it was somewhat accidental, certainly not an intentional act. This is a promising choice.

E) In many communities it is common for regular patrons of retailers to colloquially add a possessive apostrophe-S to store names, such as Kroger's or Ford's, that do not actually involve possessives in the official names.
This speaks more to common misunderstandings, not to the original motivations in choosing a name. This is incorrect.

(D) is a strong answer. If George Ralphs simply forgot to enter a company name, perhaps this was by accident, but he certainly would not have known how that blank might be filled in. The clerk who put his surname into that slot simply was trying to fill in every part of a bureaucratic form: the furthest concern from that pencil-pusher's mind was the marketing appeal of one name vs. another. Therefore, this piece of information definitely strengthens the argument.

OA = (D)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

hi, Mike. There is no way for me to pinpoint the exact idea of the argument. Certainly, on the exam day, there will be time pressure and tiredness. I doubt that this question will appear on the actual exam.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622513 [0]
Given Kudos: 81810
Send PM
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
Although its name sounds like a possessive, the Ralphs chain of supermarkets does not include an apostrophe and is in fact named for its founder George Ralphs. Therefore, it is unlikely that the chain was given its name in an effort to invoke the feel of a local, owner-operated store.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument above?

E) In many communities it is common for regular patrons of retailers to colloquially add a possessive apostrophe-S to store names, such as Kroger's or Ford's, that do not actually involve possessives in the official names

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

As with any Strengthen question, here you should seek out the conclusion and be sure to notice its specific scope: here it is that it's unlikely that the Ralphs supermarket chain was given its name to convey the feel of a local, owner-operated store. Note that the question is specific to the one chain, Ralphs, and to the original reason it got the Ralphs name. This can help you eliminate choice A, which talks Ralphs' new ownership - not the group that gave the original name.

Choice B is also incorrect: remember, your job is to show that it is UNLIKELY that Ralphs was given its name to convey this idea of a locally-owned store, so it is not helpful to your conclusion that some supermarket chains DO give names for that reason.

Choice C simply gives more context about the name Ralphs - how long it has been around - but does not allow you to determine why the supermarket chain received its name.

Choice D is correct, as it proves that Ralphs did not receive its name intentionally at all: if the name were given because the founder did not provide a name on the registration form, then it could not have had the intent to create that feel of a local store.

And choice E is incorrect as it misses the scope entirely - this argument is about how Ralphs received its official name, not about what people tend to call stores colloquially.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 849 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts