GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Mar 2019, 03:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although malaria was once universally believed to have been introduced

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Although malaria was once universally believed to have been introduced  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2012, 06:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

71% (00:48) correct 29% (00:45) wrong based on 35 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-mal ... 25612.html

Attachments

SC1.png
SC1.png [ 20.48 KiB | Viewed 1613 times ]

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: Although malaria was once universally believed to have been introduced  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2012, 07:01
I do not see anything wrong with the original sentence.....is it right ?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Re: Although malaria was once universally believed to have been introduced  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2012, 08:08
vivekvasireddy wrote:
I do not see anything wrong with the original sentence.....is it right ?

Yeah, the answer is A, can you please explain?? I got it wrong? I feel the ' to have been' was wrong

infinitive should always have the basic form of verb
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2012, 09:27
Eliminating C & E --- because we need a be form after malaria
B --- redundant construction
In A & D -- Picking A (have been rather than having been) as this condition is not true anymore. Also, believed to is idiomatic than believed as.
Although A is not the ideal construction, it is the best among the available choices.
Hope this helps. I am terrible at explaining :)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2012, 10:51
"being" and "having been" are incorrect and A is the only one that is remotely correct.

I'm not a big fan of Princeton Review Verbal questions though.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2012, 11:05
A is correct here. The sentence is in passive voice construction, that's why to have been is correct.
And if u are considering C as an option, then Please not in C verb is missing and hence there is no SV pair in the 1st clause.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2012, 11:20
Original sentence is correct. ‘To have been’ is in sync with ‘has caused’
B. believed as being is awkward
C. Although Malaria doesn’t have a main verb. So, comma after malaria is wrong
D. believed as having been is incorrect
E. Contains same errors as B and C

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2012, 01:29
First Split :

C : Although Malaria...................The recent excavation............ : ( removing the middle modifier, the stem reduces to ) : Does it make any sense ? = Eliminated

E : Although Malaria...................The recent excavation............ : ( removing the middle modifier, the stem reduces to ) : Does it make any sense ? = Eliminated

2nd Split :

A : ..............Malaria was believed to have been......................... introduced to X

B : ..............Malaria was believed as having been...................... inroduced to X

D : ..............Malaria was believed as having been.......................introduced to X

Believed To ........... SCORES OEVR..............Believed AS ; thus B / D Eliminated

leading to A = my take
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 06:12
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although malaria was once universally believed to have been introduced   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2019, 06:12

Although malaria was once universally believed to have been introduced

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap