GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Feb 2020, 17:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although many lines of evidence indicate that birds evolved from groun

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V
Re: Although many lines of evidence indicate that birds evolved from groun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 20:53
sayan640 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Nunuboy1994 wrote:
The only thing I don't understand about question 3 is that is says "skeptics" rather than "scientists." I narrowed down question 3 to B and D however I felt that skeptics could have referred to a different group of people? Or I suppose with question 3 it would be better to eliminate B because that statement is not necessarily supported by the passage? It doesn't say anywhere that scientists are challenging the lack of fossil lungs.

sananoor wrote:
Can anyone explain that why the answer of question 3 is D..why not A?

Quote:
3) Which of the following is mentioned in the passage as
an argument made by scientists who are unconvinced
that birds evolved from theropod dinosaurs?
A. There are no known theropod dinosaur fossils dating from a period after the time of Archaeopteryx.
B. There are no known theropod dinosaur fossils that indicate the structure of those dinosaurs’ lungs.
C. Theropod dinosaurs appear in the fossil record about 150 million years ago.
D. Theropod dinosaurs did not have fused clavicles.
E. Theropod dinosaurs had certain bones that look just like those of Archaeopteryx

The passage states that "some scientists remain unconvinced." In other words, some scientists are skeptical. Thus, those scientists are the skeptics.

The author presents three arguments made by scientists who are unconvinced that birds evolved from theropod dinosaurs:

1) Theropods appeared too late to have given rise to birds.
    2) The fused clavicles (the “wishbone”) of birds differ from the unfused clavicles of theropods.
    3) The complex lungs of birds could not have evolved from theropod lungs.

Choice (D) specifically refers to the second item in the list.

Choice (B) is not an argument made by the skeptics. Rather, it is a statement made by the author to show that #3 in the list cannot be supported or falsified at the moment.

As for choice (A), notice the word "after". There ARE certainly theropod fossils dating from after the time of the Archaeopteryx. The passage tells us that 150 million-year-old Archaeopteryx fossils have been found and that 115 million-year-old theropod fossils have been found. The problem, according to the skeptics, is that there are no known theropod dinosaur fossils dating from a period BEFORE the time of the Archaeopteryx.

Choice (D) is the best answer.

Hi GMATNinja VeritasKarishma jennpt

Also Is option A incorrect because it is a wrong statement and certainly not an argument put forward by skeptics ?
It says that 'There are no known theropod dinosaur fossils dating from a period after the time of Archaeopteryx."
This is a wrong statement as we know from the passage that there are indeed theropod dinosaur fossils which are 115 years old and 150 years old.

Option A is wrong because the critics' argument is that there are no known theropod fossils from BEFORE the time of Archaeopteryx.

"theropods appeared too late to have given rise to birds, noting that Archaeopteryx lithographica—the oldest known bird—appears in the fossil record about 150 million years ago, whereas the fossil remains of various nonavian maniraptor theropods—the closest known relatives of birds—date only to about 115 million years ago. But investigators have now uncovered bones that evidently belong to nonavian maniraptors dating to the time of Archaeopteryx."

The passage tells us that theropods appeared late (115 million years ago) while bird appeared earlier (150 million years ago). So birds could not have evolved from theropods. But now, theropods dating 150 million years ago have been found. Anyway, no fossils found doesn't mean no fossils exist.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
S
Re: Although many lines of evidence indicate that birds evolved from groun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 21:26
VeritasKarishma wrote:
sayan640 wrote:

Also Is option A incorrect because it is a wrong statement and certainly not an argument put forward by skeptics ?
It says that 'There are no known theropod dinosaur fossils dating from a period after the time of Archaeopteryx."
This is a wrong statement as we know from the passage that there are indeed theropod dinosaur fossils which are 115 years old and 150 years old.

Option A is wrong because the critics' argument is that there are no known theropod fossils from BEFORE the time of Archaeopteryx.

"theropods appeared too late to have given rise to birds, noting that Archaeopteryx lithographica—the oldest known bird—appears in the fossil record about 150 million years ago, whereas the fossil remains of various nonavian maniraptor theropods—the closest known relatives of birds—date only to about 115 million years ago. But investigators have now uncovered bones that evidently belong to nonavian maniraptors dating to the time of Archaeopteryx."

The passage tells us that theropods appeared late (115 million years ago) while bird appeared earlier (150 million years ago). So birds could not have evolved from theropods. But now, theropods dating 150 million years ago have been found. Anyway, no fossils found doesn't mean no fossils exist.

Hi VeritasKarishma

Thanks for clearing my doubt. I dint understand the significance of your last sentence " Anyway, no fossils found doesn't mean no fossils exist."
My reasoning is as follows ; Please correct me if it's wrong.....

Option A is wrong because the critics' argument is that "there are no known theropod fossils from BEFORE the time of Archaeopteryx" whereas option A says "There are no known theropod dinosaur fossils dating from a period AFTER the time of Archaeopteryx."
What option A says is neither correct factually ( As we have found theropod dinosaur fossils which are 115 years old and 150 years old ) nor is it the argument put forward by the critics.

That's why option A is incorrect.
Please let me know whether my understanding is correct or not.
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2019, 03:06
sayan640 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
sayan640 wrote:

Hi VeritasKarishma

Thanks for clearing my doubt. I dint understand the significance of your last sentence " Anyway, no fossils found doesn't mean no fossils exist."
My reasoning is as follows ; Please correct me if it's wrong.....

Option A is wrong because the critics' argument is that "there are no known theropod fossils from BEFORE the time of Archaeopteryx" whereas option A says "There are no known theropod dinosaur fossils dating from a period AFTER the time of Archaeopteryx."
What option A says is neither correct factually ( As we have found theropod dinosaur fossils which are 115 years old and 150 years old ) nor is it the argument put forward by the critics.

That's why option A is incorrect.
Please let me know whether my understanding is correct or not.
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

"No fossils found doesn't mean no fossils exist" means that just because something hasn't been found, you cannot say it doesn't exist. It is not valid reasoning. Just because a theropod fossil older than 150 million years hasn't been found doesn't mean that there were no theropods in that time. Perhaps the fossil hasn't been discovered yet.

Anyway, your logic is correct.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2020, 00:44
though we can read the passage easily, question 3 is hard. information in choice D is consistent but far from the information in the passage. so high level of inference is required. a saver is POE. using POE, we can eliminate many answer choices. try to realize at least one wrong word to eliminate a choice.
when one remaining choice is left, and when we do not have any reason to eliminate the choice, reread the passage and make inference. only now can we realize the correct answer choice.

correct answer choice has no reason to be eliminated and require a time consuming inference. try to realize a choice having no reason to be eliminate and make inference for this answer choice. take time for inference.

knowing this strick helps us succeed on hard questions.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2020, 09:28
GMATNinja GMATNinjatwo

Is 6 minutes with all answers correct a good time for passage this length and with 3 questions of which 1-2 are 700 level ?
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.24

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 14:15
8:35

Got 2/3, made a silly mistake with the first one. :/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 21:34
altairahmad
Hi,
Although I am no expert, as per my personal assessment of this passage, I think 6 minutes is a little on higher side. Unfortunately, it took me around the same amount of time as well. :(
I also believe that such time assessment is pretty personalized thing depending on someone's strong and weak areas. As an example, RC is not particularly my strongest suit till date. If it is same for someone, then 6 minutes may be unavoidable. :(
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although many lines of evidence indicate that birds evolved from groun   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2020, 21:34

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Although many lines of evidence indicate that birds evolved from groun

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics