Last visit was: 25 Jul 2024, 10:02 It is currently 25 Jul 2024, 10:02
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 643838 [0]
Given Kudos: 86754
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 643838 [0]
Given Kudos: 86754
Send PM
General Discussion
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1091 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
Send PM
Although most scholars agree that the Black Plague was a massive bligh [#permalink]
PyjamaScientist wrote:
Option E looks like the right answer.
Quote:
(E) Historians have found that a thriving middle class was already in development when the Black Plague first struck Europe in the 1340s.

This is a weakening type question.
Stem says, A caused B. If I can prove B was already happening when A happened then my reasoning in the stem breaks. Option E does that exactly.

The argument claims that the Black Plague, by wiping out large portions of the land-owning aristocracy across Europe, contributed to the development of the middle class: the now-freed. So, it is not saying that A caused B but rather saying that A helped B in gaining momentum.

So, Option C seems a good option, an alternate reason for rise in new trades eventhough it does not provide a clear nexus between the middle class and rising trade.

(C) Some scholars have noticed an increase in pre-industrial productivity immediately after the Black Plague, suggesting a rise in new trades.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41 (Online)
Send PM
Re: Although most scholars agree that the Black Plague was a massive bligh [#permalink]
IMO E.
Although C does undermine the claim presented in the passage to some extent, E does it the most.
nehasheela2 wrote:
PyjamaScientist wrote:
Option E looks like the right answer.
Quote:
(E) Historians have found that a thriving middle class was already in development when the Black Plague first struck Europe in the 1340s.

This is a weakening type question.
Stem says, A caused B. If I can prove B was already happening when A happened then my reasoning in the stem breaks. Option E does that exactly.

The argument claims that the Black Plague, by wiping out large portions of the land-owning aristocracy across Europe, contributed to the development of the middle class: the now-freed. So, it is not saying that A caused B but rather saying that A helped B in gaining momentum.

So, Option C seems a good option, an alternate reason for rise in new trades eventhough it does not provide a clear nexus between the middle class and rising trade.

(C) Some scholars have noticed an increase in pre-industrial productivity immediately after the Black Plague, suggesting a rise in new trades.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 313
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Although most scholars agree that the Black Plague was a massive bligh [#permalink]
IMO E

C apparently strengthens the argument ..
the author has said that there was rise in new trades after the black plague
“ the now-freed serfs began developing trades and grew wealthy and powerful over time”

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts