GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 04:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although nearly 30 percent of the more than 9 million residents of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
Although nearly 30 percent of the more than 9 million residents of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2019, 22:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (01:26) correct 59% (01:27) wrong based on 320 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 179: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Although nearly 30 percent of the more than 9 million residents of New York City are African-American, the nation's most populous city did not elect its first African-American mayor until 1989.

A) Although nearly 30 percent of the more than 9 million

B) Although nearly 30 percent of over 9 million of the

C) Although the nearly 30 percent of more than 9 million

D) Despite the fact that nearly 30 percent of more than 9 million

E) Despite the fact that, of over 9 million, nearly 30 percent of the

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has -- Margaret Mead
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Senior SC Moderator
V
Although nearly 30 percent of the more than 9 million residents of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2019, 22:40
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Project SC Butler: Day 179: Sentence Correction (SC1)

• HIGHLIGHTS

This sentence intends to highlight that out of all the many residents of NYC, African Americans constitute nearly 30 percent of all of those residents. One-third of any population is a considerable presence, so it is surprising that NYC did not elect its first African-American mayor until 1989.

The word "the" is key. It is used to "capture" or point to all of the NYC residents.
If we use "the," we mean that there are [only] more than 9 million residents.

If we do not use "the," we might mean that there are more than 9 million residents.
-- Although nearly 30 percent of more than 9 million residents of New York City are African American . . . . →→
There might be 12 million NYC residents.
So which 9 million (of possibly 12 million) are we talking about?

A doctor vaccinated the more than 2,000 children in the refugee camp.
(There are more than 2,000 children in the refugee camp, and she vaccinated all of them.)

A doctor vaccinated more than the 2,000 children in the refugee camp.
(There are 2,000 children in the refugee camp, and the doctor vaccinated all of them as well as more children from somewhere else.)

Core idea:
-- the word THE before a class, category, or set of people does one of two things:
(1) it refers to the abstract category, or
(2) it refers to 100% of the members of that class.

• POE

Although nearly 30 percent of the more than 9 million residents of New York City are African-American, the nation's most populous city did not elect its first African-American mayor until 1989.

Quote:
A) Although nearly 30 percent of the more than 9 million residents of New York City are African-American, the nation's most populous city did not elect its first African-American mayor until 1989.

• There are more than 9 million residents in NYC. Out of that more than 9 million, nearly 30 percent are African-American.
• Although is a concise way to indicate that the result is surprising.
• The sentence makes sense: of the more than 9 million NYC residents, nearly 30 percent are African-American.
The word "the" both captures all the NYC residents and confines the number to between 9,000,001 and 9,999,999 residents.
(There are not 10 million.
KEEP
Quote:
B) Although nearly 30 percent of over 9 million of the residents of New York City are African-American, the nation's most populous city did not elect its first African-American mayor until 1989.

• 9 million of "the" residents? The placement changes the meaning.
-- NYC may have 12 million residents. This sentence points to nearly 30 percent of 9 million of those residents.
• Maybe those 9 million live in Manhattan and the other 3 million live in the boroughs. We don't know. There may be 20 million residents.
All we know is that 30 percent of some group of 9 million residents are African American.
Wrong meaning.
Eliminate B.

Quote:
• This sentence is like B. It is focused on "the" 30 percent of more than 9 million residents.
-- But there could be 12, 14, or 20 million residents.
• This sentence does not capture all of the residents of NYC.
Eliminate C

Quote:

• If an option with "although" is available, choose it over despite the fact that. Concision.
• Again we face a group without an upper limit while simultaneously we are saddled with a lower limit of 9 million.
And again we lose the "nearly 1/3" guarantee.
This sentence allows for this scenario: There are 18 million NYC residents, 9 million of whom live in Manhattan. African Americans constitute nearly 1/3 of the Manhattan 9 million. There are at least 2,700,000 African Americans. But if there are 18 million residents, then African Americans constitute only 15 percent of the population, not 30 percent, and the absence of a black mayor until 1989 does not seem so strange.
Eliminate D

Quote:

• hot mess.
• still missing a the (and a more). We face the same problems as those in the other options
Eliminate E

The answer is A

• NOTES
This question is probably based on this official question, here.

The construction is very common in U.S. written English.
I ran a quick search and pulled up dozens of hits.
Four articles in the NY Times that contain the phrase are listed in the footnote.

COMMENTS

If you posted, you were brave.
I admire courage. Kudos to all.

** "the more than" - The New York Times online, Jully 2019 - October 2019
Among the more than 16,200 condo units across 682 new buildings completed in New York City since 2013, one in four remain unsold, or roughly 4,100 apartments — most of them in luxury buildings, according to a new analysis by the listing website StreetEasy.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/13/real ... -york.html

Like all New Yorkers, the more than half a million people who live in public housing deserve safe and clean homes, and basic respect
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/30/opin ... nycha.html

That was code for one specific smoke detector among the more than 160 detectors and manual alarms in the complex.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -dame.html

Many of the more than 4,000 cabdrivers who bought medallions in that period were low-income immigrants who did not speak English fluently and signed interest-only loans or other lopsided agreements.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/nyre ... ation.html

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has -- Margaret Mead
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Oct 2019, 00:48

Quote:

The makes the residents singular and it should have a singular verb.
Here we have plural verb are after the underlined portion.So eliminate A

Quote:

the at the end of the underlined portion makes the sentence makes the residents singular and it should have a singular verb.
Here we have plural verb are after the underlined portion.So eliminate B
Quote:

same error as in B

Quote:

correct

Quote:

Despite the fact that must be followed by a clause , not modifier.

Originally posted by SonGoku on 17 Oct 2019, 23:58.
Last edited by SonGoku on 18 Oct 2019, 00:48, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although nearly 30 percent of the more than 9 million residents of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2019, 00:02
Hello generis,

Looks like the 2 questions(Links) posted yesterday are the same.
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2019, 00:09
SonGoku wrote:
Hello generis,

Looks like the 2 questions(Links) posted yesterday are the same.

SonGoku , thank you.

Here is the link to the second question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/after-junko- ... 08446.html

I will edit the other link.
Thank you!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: Although nearly 30 percent of the more than 9 million residents of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2019, 00:46
A) “...the more than...” is not a correct approach by using ‘the’ before ‘more than’.

B) “... over 9 million of the residents...” is not correct.

C) “... the nearly 30 percent...”
—> ‘the’ is not used correctly.

E) Clearly incorrect.
There is a meaning change
—> ‘over 9 million’ is not equal to 30 percent of the residents.

D is the correct answer. Seems everything is fine.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2019, 05:00

"the more than" is incorrect usage. "Over 9 million" should have been used instead.

Usage of "of the" at the end of the sentence is incorrect. The sentence would have been fine without it.

The "the" after although should not be there.

Correct.

The phrase "of over 9 million" is placed incorrectly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2019, 09:07
IMO the correct answer is D

The word "Residents " is in the underlined portion, now "more than 9 million" should come just before "residents" in order to correctly modify "residents" without the use of any other preposition in between.

generis, this was my own reasoning to eliminate B & E, just waiting for your OE to publish. :roll:

Option B & E are incorrect for this.

A) Although nearly 30 percent of the more than 9 million - Incorrect

B) Although nearly 30 percent of over 9 million of the - Incorrect

C) Although the nearly 30 percent of more than 9 million - Incorrect

D) Despite the fact that nearly 30 percent of more than 9 million - Correct

E) Despite the fact that, of over 9 million, nearly 30 percent of the - Incorrect
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2019, 22:29

A) Although nearly 30 percent of the more than 9 million -- "the" shouldn't be there

B) Although nearly 30 percent of over 9 million of the -- "the" shouldn't be there

C) Although the nearly 30 percent of more than 9 million -- "the" shouldn't be there

D) Despite the fact that nearly 30 percent of more than 9 million -- correct good flow

E) Despite the fact that, of over 9 million, nearly 30 percent of the --awkward over 9 million should be near residents of nyc

Therefore, D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2019, 23:01
generis my reasoning went up the roof on this one. I would still have posted if not for the fact that I have some commitments for the day that require I start my day early. Time in Ghana is almost 6 am on Saturday. Hopefully, I will catch up with your explanations later in the evening when I get back home.

PS. I like the quote on instructions for living a life.
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 03:08
I have posted the official explanation here
Manager
Manager
P
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 03:50
Ha! It took me 00:37 to choose the correct answer....But I was not brave enough to post. My bad!
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 09:08
generis it is a massive coincidence, but I watched a video by Ron Purewal in which he discussed the usage of "the" before numbers. I wish I watched it before I did this particular problem :)

Thank you!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although nearly 30 percent of the more than 9 million residents of   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2019, 09:08

Although nearly 30 percent of the more than 9 million residents of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics