GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 03:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although oft-maligned in modern culture, the pigeon once stood not

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
Annie: Nguyen
Concentration: International Business, Other
GPA: 3.33
WE: Supply Chain Management (Transportation)
Although oft-maligned in modern culture, the pigeon once stood not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Dec 2017, 20:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

33% (02:14) correct 67% (01:28) wrong based on 57

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

44% (00:46) correct 56% (00:39) wrong based on 61

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

48% (00:51) correct 52% (00:59) wrong based on 58

Although oft-maligned in modern culture, the pigeon once stood not only for speed and reliability but also for grace and beauty. Darwin himself became a pigeon fancier after beginning to work with the humble Columbia livia , discovering them to be more fascinating than he had formerly believed. During the Victorian age, in fact, raising show pigeons was a popular hobby, with new breeds continuously arising as amateur (and not-so-amateur) ornithologists crossed animals in the hopes of creating ever more fantastic creatures. One of the most sought-after varieties was known as the Almond Tumbler, a name presumably derived form the color of the birds combined with the distinctive flight style. Over the course of many generations, this bird was so manipulated as to have a beak so small as to prevent the adult birds from feeding their offspring. And yet, it was wildly popular drawing high prices at auctions and high prices at competitions.

How then did an animal once so well-loved come to be so loathed? As recently as World War II, the military used pigeons to carry messages but today, many people would kick a pigeon before they would feed one. Perhaps it is just a problem of population density, a lack of esteem for that which is ubiquitous. Pigeons have become our constant urban companions and, as such, have been transformed from symbols of peace, plenty, and prosperity, to representatives of disease and decay.

1. The primary purpose of this passage is to

(A) convince the reader of the nobility of the pigeon, based on its history as a symbol of virtue
(B) dissuade the reader from mistreating a once-majestic animal that has fallen from favor
(C) rebut claims that the pigeon carries disease any more frequently than do other domestic animals
(D) promote a renewal of pigeon fancying and a resurgence of breeds such as the Almond Tumbler
(E) suggest that there might be more to the story of some urban wildlife than is commonly known

2. The case of the Almond Tumbler is most analogous to which of the following?

(A) a strain of wheat that can be grown in plentiful quantities but loses much of its nutritional value in the process
(B) Arabian horses that are able to run at phenomenal speeds due to centuries of careful breeding designed to enhance those physical attributes
(C) vitamins that were purported to provide all of the necessary nutrients but have since been found not to be very effective
(D) the dachshund, a popular breed of dog that is nonetheless prone to severe back problems, due to weaknesses exacerbated by targeted breeding
(E) the wild rock doves that are most commonly found nesting in the faces of cliffs far from human habitation

3. The passage suggests that

(A) pigeons were once known for flying with celerity
(B) the Almond Tumbler was the most beautiful breed of pigeon
(C) Darwin was infatuated with his fancy pigeons
(D) modern pigeons are dirtier than the fancy pigeons of yore
(E) only scientists should breed new kinds of animals

[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #1 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #2 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #3 OA

Kindly hit kudos if my post help.
Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by Annie28 on 14 Dec 2017, 18:50.
Last edited by broall on 14 Dec 2017, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted questions
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Although oft-maligned in modern culture, the pigeon once stood not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 10:00
Can someone explain the answers to these I was stuck between answer choices and got all three wrong. I choose A, B, D but the answers are E D A i narrowed down to these two choices and choose the wrong one all three times.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Although oft-maligned in modern culture, the pigeon once stood not [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 05:36
spatel2 wrote:
Can someone explain the answers to these I was stuck between answer choices and got all three wrong. I choose A, B, D but the answers are E D A i narrowed down to these two choices and choose the wrong one all three times.

Hi spatel2,

Question 1:
(A) convince the reader of the nobility of the pigeon, based on its history as a symbol of virtue
(B) dissuade the reader from mistreating a once-majestic animal that has fallen from favor
(C) rebut claims that the pigeon carries disease any more frequently than do other domestic animals
(D) promote a renewal of pigeon fancying and a resurgence of breeds such as the Almond Tumbler
(E) suggest that there might be more to the story of some urban wildlife than is commonly known - the author does not take any stance. The passage is descriptive - it simply talks about how pigeons were seen in the past and gives one reason to explain why this the opinion has changed.

2. The case of the Almond Tumbler is most analogous to which of the following?
(A) a strain of wheat that can be grown in plentiful quantities but loses much of its nutritional value in the process
(B) Arabian horses that are able to run at phenomenal speeds due to centuries of careful breeding designed to enhance those physical attributes
(C) vitamins that were purported to provide all of the necessary nutrients but have since been found not to be very effective
(D) the dachshund, a popular breed of dog that is nonetheless prone to severe back problems, due to weaknesses exacerbated by targeted breeding - the last part of this answer mentions breeding. Like Almond Tumbler, this dog has become prone to back problems (a disadvantage). As a result of manipulations, the bird was nearly unable to feed it's offspring (also a disadvantage).
(E) the wild rock doves that are most commonly found nesting in the faces of cliffs far from human habitation

3. The passage suggests that
(A) pigeons were once known for flying with celerity - the first sentence of the passage.
(B) the Almond Tumbler was the most beautiful breed of pigeon - beauty wasn't discussed.
(C) Darwin was infatuated with his fancy pigeons - too strong.
(D) modern pigeons are dirtier than the fancy pigeons of yore - such comparison isn't given.
(E) only scientists should breed new kinds of animals - too strong and it's not mention who should or should not do that.

I hope this will help. Feel free to point to my mistakes made in the explanations above. Thanks
Re: Although oft-maligned in modern culture, the pigeon once stood not   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2017, 05:36

Although oft-maligned in modern culture, the pigeon once stood not

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap